Why 10.6 instead of 10.5.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ert3, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Seems a bit far fetched that simple stability updates would warrent a whole new OS.

Secondly if it is in cocoa then why bother unless maybe this means cocoa 64bit has been finalized and they want the whole core OS to function with the full support of their new 64bit processors but stop me If I am wrong because If memory serves the first intel macs sported 32bit processors making the whole intel only rumor a bit shaky.

Either way unless snow leopard marks the release of either 32bit vs 64bit variation like windows you won't see me getting out of bed.

even then if they really want to talk stability then lets see some linux libs and to that same extent I have yet to hear anything entirely good about 64bit libs so apple better be planing to maintain their reputation if that is infact their goal.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe they're running out of ideas, and simply want to keep up the public perception of releasing a major version every 12-18months. Not to mention the fact that Leopard seems to have been the worst in terms of quality control (stability, other problems) for quite some time.

3. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

Ok this i don't really get.

The only time leopard gives me problems is when I use Logitech mouse software (which sucks anyway but beats the windows version in my opinion) and when I try to use something like paralells with windows vista in boot camp or import an obscure video format that is incredibly long into iMovie.

even then I just have to sit back and cross my arms for a moment.

I mean yes the time thing is annoying but everywhere I go I can find a clock so I don't entirely get the fuss there.

----edit----
    oh and just so you know if you are correct then I will gather as many mac users as I can so we can spread the nickname Mac 7 for 10.6

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

If Apple does decide to show a preview of 10.6 it will be exactly that a preview. They are nowhere close to releasing a version of OS X. Most likely the wait for 10.6 will be well over a year. Apple will continue to release minor updates for 10.5 until a new version of OS X is released.

[EDIT]
    I just saw the front page article. I wished you would have linked to it.

5. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

I pray you are correct

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

They still released updates to Tiger after Leopard was released. They will more than likely do the same if and when 10.6 is released.

I wouldn't even ponder nor worry why 10.6 vs 10.5.4 since this will be 1. a preview, 2. An OS change, meaning enough changes have been developed to warrant a jump in the point system.

They can jump the point system anytime they wish if it warrants it or for that matter if it doesn't. They don't have to wait for 10.5.9 to release 10.6.

And from what the rumors currently are, they jumped to 10.6 for compatibility issues. Changing the entire system to Cocoa based can't be done with a simple point release, it would require a complete version change (citing my statement above on 'enough major changes')

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

This may be different. If the idea is to ditch PowerPC support, they probably want a new "dot" update, so that you don't have computers that are supported up through (say) 10.5.4, but not beyond. They can say 10.6 supports only Intel-based macs.

As for continued updates, they don't usually offer too many updates after the new system software is updated. Perhaps this will be different, but I wouldn't expect too many.

8. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

true but a whole new OS seems a midbit over the top for the move to intel only.

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

That makes it sound like are continuing to release version updates for Tiger. When in fact they have released only one minor version update. IIRC everyone was on 10.4.10, then 10.5 was released, then 10.4.11 was released. 10.4.11 is probably the last minor version update for Tiger. Security updates might be released periodically, is Apple sees fit, but nothing that would warrant a version number change.

10. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

I can vouch for leopard having the worse stability
    1. even after three "bug fixes" parental controls is still buggy
    2. ever since leopard internet has been messing up. Sometimes safari doesn't work, sometimes mail doesn't work, sometimes the wifi itself doesn't work but just on one machine. The other computers have perfect internet
    3. I have heard of major security issues with safari and ical
    4. finder acting up
    5. there were others I can't remember...

11. geek-inthe-pink macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

This would really stink. If they just let out 10.6 in four days, I'll cry...... I JUST BARELY (two months ago) got this new '08 macbook with leopard.

Wait a second - didn't apple say that those who bought macs within, like, a month of leopard's release would only have to pay 10$ to upgrade or something? Then THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!

EDIT: It says they will just be showing a beta. I think the front page article said it would be released in Jan. 2009, so...:(:(:mad::(

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I was more referring to the 10.4.11. I could easily fix my post and remove the "S" from the word "updates" and that would probably have remove some confusion.

But back to the OT, 10.6 is not a mere
    update as the OP was led to believe. REGARDLESS of the issues some people have with Leopard, this would be a jump ahead of version and straight to point.

They already said in rumor mill that it's no where near ready so I just don't understand (then again, this is the interent where people like to bitch with no end in site) the uproar on whether Apple needs a 10.5.4 and not a 'FUTURE' 10.6 which by the time it's released we'll probably be at 10.5.8.

13. ert3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ert3

My understanding is OS:x 10.6 is to be out by 2009.

Also I agree a stupid preview is not worth showing if your still having issues.

Though I must be honest I have experienced nothing I did not encounter in tiger but thats just me.

It would be really nice to see just how many people are afflicted with Leopard buggyness.

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Right so your moaning that they would release 10.6 to soon after you bought your Mac and you would have to pay for it. Now your moaning that January 09 is too far away.

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

If Apple sells a 'Snow Leopard' that only removes PPC support, kills carbon, etc. would you really get upset? There would essentially be no extra features of 10.6 or no 10.6 only apps. It could just be an overhaul and a lot of code cleaning. Calling it 10.6 because troubleshooting it would be vastly different for support, thus saving money in the support dept.

Basically 10.6 would be 10.5 with legacy support removed (maybe multitouch screen support added? But non issue for upgraders since they lack multitouch hardware). No need to upgrade to 10.6 if you have 10.5.

PS: I run Tiger, Apple doesn't require you to upgrade to the latest and greatest to own a Mac.

EDIT: Maybe 10.6 because to combat OSx86 projects Apple decides to make 10.6 onward embeded on a ROM? That would be interesting. Faster OS booting and loading et cetera. Thus useless to to complain about it lacking features, since then you'd be unable to buy it without buying a new Mac.

16. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I know this site is MacRumors.com, but c'mon, where'd this one come from again? And "Snow Leopard"??? WTF? As if Apple would give their next operating system such a confusing name. "Dude, does that new iMac come with Snow Leopard?" "No man, it's just got Leopard." "I've got an iMac G3 Snow running Leopard though." "Dude, that's too f--ked up, just get a Dell!"

Then again, maybe they could go retro and call 10.6 "Bengal Tiger" or "Black Panther" or "Jumpin' Jaguar"? That would really give Steve Ballmer a scare.

So let's give Apple a little bit of credit. They're hardly out of "unique" big cat names. How about Lion? Or Cougar? Or Lynx?

Then again, maybe it's time they finally switched to monkeys. Or shellfish. Or kosher meats.

17. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Lets get a few things straight:

This is a rumor.
    Nothing is confirmed until Apple tells us. Stop getting yourselves in a flap because of rumors. While some come true, not all do. Where is this Mac tablet, and various other things that have been rumored to appear at various events in the past? Not here. Stop over-exaggerating these rumors and getting worked up about it.

Snow Leopard is just a codename for now, at the most.
    It might not even be called Snow Leopard when it's released, or at all. Chances are it won't be. Probably just a code name until they get a release name, or think of a better one. Windows Vista was called "Longhorn" at first. It's so they know what they're working on early on in development. Of course, Apple could just as well go with 10.6 (like has been seen in source code) but there's nothing wrong with "dropping" the numbers for a more basic approach. In fact, Apple seem to like "OS X". It wouldn't be all to surprising if they just forgot the number system and kept "OS X" forever, and only using numbers for update references, for instance "OS X Update 10.4358.2" :p

"Snow Leopard" will most likely be more than bug fixes
    This is Apple, remember. Chances are the BETA will be system changes that require a big overhaul (Core Animation, for instance) with a few added features for the rest of us, just like most of early Leopard was. But the final version will most likely introduce features that will make it worthwhile for people to upgrade to it. The average user isn't going to want to upgrade for security features, and that will mean Apple loses money. They're a corporation, remember. They WANT our money.
    Chances are there will be touch support added (high chances, with the announcement of Windows 7), and some small features like ToDo lists and Notes in Mail, or Quicklook and Stacks. How about adding tabs to Finder? I would upgrade for useful features like those. Apple isn't going to release a "bug fix" and expect people to pay for it... because they know no-one will buy it.

Some people need to stop taking rumors so literally! :eek:

18. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

This should be posted in all the threads right now about "snow leopard," so many people are being left in a state of confusion and some of their posts are just starting arguments. People complaining about the name are ridiculous, it is a code name people, not the actual name (although it could be). Everybody should be forced to read your post before posting in a "snow leopard" thread. And people that are complaining about the lack of features, ect....There will be some new features besides security patches and faster performance, features comparable to stacks, quicklook, and the new dock maybe, but not anything major like TimeMachine, Spaces, or Dashboard (when it was originally released. And if I remember correctly (but somebody please correct me if I am wrong), didn't Apple not even show features like the new dock when Leopard was first introduced? So we can obviously expect more to come from whenever they introduce it.

But another point that comes to mind, might this be one of Apple's seeding of false information like they usually do before an announcement, to throw off the rumor mills? Because there are some points about this rumor that seem somewhat absurd, particularly the part about dropping compatibility of some computers.

19. Xavier macrumors 68020

Potentially the new 10.6 could be just what it says, an update that breaks PPC support. It will be released for intels, giving all the PPC's a better reason to upgrade.

updates to 10.5 will still continue though I would think

20. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I first looked at Macs in sort of November 2006, and remember that the Leopard Sneak Peek looked exactly like Tiger but there were just a few new things like iChat features and stuff.

Stacks, Spaces, Quick Look, Time Machine and the new look didn't arrive until both Macworld and WWDC 2007, if my Memory is correct. Even the default Leopard background wasn't announced until a few weeks before release. It was the "grass" one that was used when the new look was unveiled.

If there are no "new features" demoed yet then there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Apple has 18 months (as of last November) if they stick to Steve's words, and they can add anything between then and the release Date of the next significant (not a patch) update of OS X.

Yes. It's possible. But then again, these are rumor sites and all of them have an easily accessible rumor submit system. If you provide them information that SEEMS to be from an accurate source, they'll publish it.

I could submit a rumor that Apple is planning to create it's "MobileMe" brand into a separate product that integrates and creates a sort of bridge with .Mac, but is a free web service that combines social networking, Instant Messaging (integrated with iChat) and retrieving data from your computer wirelessly from any iPhone or iPod Touch with internet access.
    Chances are it would get published if I found a way to send it from an @apple.com email address. And such a thing is not hard with some simple web form trickery.

You can't believe anything on an Apple fan-site unless it's genuine news that has concrete backing from Apple or the other parties involved (if it's about 3rd party software, peripherals, etc.). You can HOPE it's true and anticipate it at WWDC, Macworld, and all the others but it's never concrete until Apple says it's real.