Why 2GB RAM matters. Demo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by enthusiastic, Sep 26, 2015.

1. enthusiastic macrumors regular

2. canadianpj macrumors 6502

I'm glad it finally got 2GB of ram. I mean in the year I had my iPhone 6 Plus it never once, even for a moment was an issue it didn't but now that it does I can do all the things I used to do anyways.

3. Macinva macrumors 6502

Macinva

2gb of ram + the A9 feels hugely better over the 6. I play games and surf on mine, so I think it's a worthy upgrade just in the performance boost I've noticed in the last hour of use.

4. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Yeah, the 2GB RAM on the iPad Air 2 made using safari and switching between apps 100x better experience for the user

I'm still waiting for iPhone 7 next year, not enough to jump from a 6+ to 6S+

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

So ios is not yet optimized then? ;) I think i heard that several times on the last time when soneone said something about 1gb ram "nowadays" with iphone6. Just wondering are those same people still waiting the miraculous optimizing or now praising how well 2gb ram works... I ditched air1, bought air2 and never looked at iphone6 because the lack of ram and lot of people were saying that it isnt "the lagroid", no need for extra ram, but now we see how wrong they were.

6. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

7. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

One of the main reasons I upgraded was this. So happy we finally got the 2GB of ram for obvious reasons.

8. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

His 6s screen is yellow, lol.

9. rkoshack macrumors member

This video epitomizes exactly why I paid to go from 6 plus to 6s plus

Expensive upgrade but it annoyed me that much

10. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Am I the only one with an iPhone 6 Plus that can do this? I had 20 tabs open and not one page refreshed.

11. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

those people here who said iPhone don't need 2gb of ram, sit down at the corner, face the wall, and go eat crow now.
    :D

12. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Impossible.

13. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Okay. If you say so. I was having this discussion over at imore too.

14. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Agreed 100%

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I can't even have 3 tabs open without it refreshing

Edit: make that 2

16. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

We jut need split screen now on the 6s Plus, but of course, that'll be next year!!!

17. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Video or you're bluffing =)

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's a huge jump mate, the biggest for a number of years.

19. dave420 macrumors 65816

I really wish people could come up with better demonstrations of RAM usage than Safari tabs. If your headline feature is that your Safari tabs don't have to be reloaded than I guess you are entitled to your opinion.

I am not discounting the importance of RAM though. I just wish people would demo it better. Maybe a demonstration of the poor RAM performance on the 4S that only had 512 MB (a lot of people were hoping for 1 GB at the time). Show how you can't open other apps while listening to Apple Music. Not being able to listen to music is a better demonstration than some Safari tabs reloading.

20. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

Interesting how dingy the 6s screen looks in comparison.
    6sScreen.jpg

21. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Go into each one and scroll around, then see if any refresh. You will not get even close to 20.

22. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I think they're basically all more warm than previous models. My 6 Plus compared to my 6S Plus looks the same, I also compared my 6 Plus to all 6S Plus models in store and they're all the exact same. Slightly warmer. Of course, if you don't have one to compare to or your 6 Plus was a bit yellower in the first place, you won't notice it at all and will deny your phone is the same.

23. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

It's nice that pages don't refresh but the thing is that if I revisit a website after 10 mins, I would probably want to refresh the content anyway to see if there is anything new.
    So not much gain here except when filling some forms and don't want to lose content.

24. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The refresh forced by lack of RAM doesn't always do a full page refresh though - that's one of the strange things about it - i've seen t happen to forum pages and the |"refresh" didn't all the lastest pages - forcing a refresh of the page did.

Poortes in some ways -
    6 on left showing network activity *before* starting test
    6 showing lower signal for carrier network and wifi (6s on full wifi, 6 on 2 less bars - romping ahead in part from newer CPU, better wifi etc)
    Didn't show if any other apps were in memory. Seeing as we're showing things, how many were loaded up on both? If you fill up the 6s, does it have similar issues?

Can the 6s have more tabs than the 6? (cheating way is loading some on private also, to double the number up, but wondering about number of normal non private tabs).

Still agree the RAM helps a lot - is a constraint of the 6

25. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've brought this up before. Web pages everywhere, on every platform, auto refresh when new content is added.