Why 32gb just might be the worst deal for iPads.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Mar 26, 2012.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Consider this for a moment.

You are wanting to get an iPad but you are unsure of which version to get. You know you only want the wifi version but you also think that 16gb will not be quite enough space for you. The first thought is to get the next model up, the 32gb for $100 more. Before you make that choice take a second to think about a few things....

1. If longevity is your concern and you will be keeping this iPad for 2-3 years, then resale value is not much of a concern because no matter which model you get, they will all resell for similar amounts after 2 to 3 years.

2. For $499 you are getting 16gb of space. For $100 more you are getting only 16gb more space. For $200 more you are getting 48gb of space. So best bang for your buck is going to be either the $499 model or the $699 model. The $599 32gb is actually the worst deal. Let me explain why.

$100 for 16gb with the $599 model or...
    $100 per 24gb with the $699 model.

It will come down to personal preference on how much data you will need but the $699 model iPad comes with 50% more data per dollar compared to the $599 model.

If you plan on taking advantage of icloud to re-download apps, movies and music then you might not even need more than 16gb. If you plan on keeping most of your music and movies on your iPad then the 64gb iPad will most likely be the best deal.

2. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

While the price per GB might be better at the 64GB level, you are overpaying if that space that won't ever be used. Buying more just because it is a lower rate, despite not needing it, doesn't make something a better choice. If you are buying a 64GB iPad when you only need say 25GB of space, 64GB is the worst possible choice.

In my situation, 16GB wasn't enough. The next logical step is to go to 32GB (which I did via exchange). I know 32GB is more than enough space for my needs, no matter how many years I keep the device. If I would have bought 64GB I would essentially have wasted $100 for absolutely nothing but a bigger number printed on the back of my iPad. 32GB was the ideal choice for me.

3. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is why I stated that it all comes down to personal preference.

4. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I'm currently using 25 gigs on my iPad, a huge chunk of which is video that I synced just for the hell of it. I have more than enough content on it right now. Why would I pay $100 more for space I don't need?

This thread is just as silly as the "black model is better than white model" or "3G/LTE is better than WiFi model" threads I see all the time.

Get the color and model that best suits your taste and needs. Case closed.

5. TheMiz macrumors member

When I am at my shore house I have 160GB ipod for music, a 16GB iphone4S, and a 32GB 4G iPad so I think thats plenty of storage.

6. doboy macrumors 68000

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL

Anyone could figure out price per GB but frankly, when I get up there towards the price of a low-end laptop I start to question why I am buying an iPad vs laptop. It's just me. My iPad (1st gen) is 32 GB and I couldn't be happier.

8. Jackintosh, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

This is not a silly thread, and quite applicable in considering such a high cost device for what you're really getting. Dollar for dollar based on which version you choose, this makes a lot of sense.

Consider that even though you think 16gb or 32gb is enough based on your previous video/music library, the high resolution video camera will eat up a lot of storage that you may not realize up front. Also, more and more apps with larger sizes are coming down the road that'll use that storage.

Personally, I think if one is going to spend this much money on a device, it makes more sense to get the best value for buck. The incremental cost from 32 to 64 is justifiable.

9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I did not have to think twice when I picked up my 16gb wifi model simply because I refuse to store a bunch of music and videos on my iPad. That's one of the only benefits I could see with going for the 32/64gb models. To call it the "worst deal" is definitely misleading. Your needs/wants are not the same as others needs/wants.

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

No, it is a silly thread. It's one thing to say, "Hey folks, when making your choice, just keep in mind that the new retina display and camera means that apps and video will take up more space. You may want to consider a larger model depending on how you plan to use it." That makes sense. It's another to say, "To pay the least per gig, just get the biggest one. You know, in case you want to sync everything to it."

People aren't idiots, and the vast majority can make their own decisions about a new version of a product that's been around for a couple of years already.

11. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Congrats on figuring out Apple's business model. Companies have been doing this for years in hopes that you'll shell out more money for the top tier model because you believe you are getting more. They do that to discourage consumers from just buying the bottom tier model.

Its nothing new. Just buy the ones that suits your needs and/or what you can afford.

12. davedvdy macrumors regular

Everyone has different needs, but that whole iCloud argument doesnt work for everyone.
    I have over 16 GB in apps alone and growing, plus some big newstand issues that are 300mb each. I personally dont want to keep redownloading my 1 GB apps or games every other day.

13. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I personally think 32gb is the sweet spot for me. 16gb is too restrictive, 32 is fine. 64 is too expensive. Also I think 32 holds its value better for resale. 16s lose more cause there are more of them, and 64 loses more just because it so much more expensive.

14. randymac88 macrumors regular

This math seems a little silly to me. I see it as this:

16GB/$499 = $31.19 per GB
    32GB/$599 = $18.72 per GB
    64GB/$599 = $10.92 per GB

Your point about iCloud use is well taken; I will say however that keeping a stable of 1080p videos to show off your iPad, a bunch of retina-enabled apps, all alongside a collection of high-res photos (things you might want to have stored locally on your iPad) is going to take up a lot of space.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I agree with this.

When I bought the first iPad I had over 17gb of just music in iTunes. I found they I didn't want or need all of my music on the iPad. The 16 probably would have been sufficient then, and now.

However, I didn't want to worry about my storage space, so I figured I'd go for the 32 again, knowing it would be more than enough for me.

64gb would be overkill for me, I took the extra $100 (+$30) and got the 4G/LTE model this time around since it was something I missed on my original iPad.

16. tivoboy macrumors 68030

indeed

Indeed as has been discussed before, the 2nd 32GB is half the price of the first 16GB (on a per GB basis) but it is still 200$ more than the 16GB version, which is about a 40% price pop just for that.

Personally, from a normal usage standpoint I think that the 32GB represents the sweet spot.

17. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's like those websites that say "buy 1 month for $1 or buy 25 months for $20" you are still paying more though you are paying less per month.

18. crazycanucks macrumors regular

You mean 699 right?

19. iEvolution, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

iEvolution macrumors 65816

I dont know if it is just where I go or the 64 gb has been in limited supply but the 64 gb has been the hardest to find. I hope it is selling the best that way Apple will consider updating next year.

----------

You'd be surprised, esp the older generation, they don't understand which capacity to get or what uses require more space

It doesn't matter if there has been 3 generations, if you haven't used one personally how you gonna know?

The only way the 32gb is the worst deal is if you bought it and then 6 months later run out of space, then you'd have to sell it for less and pay the difference for the 64 gb.

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I personally think the worst deal for iPads is the one that comes with either: More space then you'll use, or less space then you'll need.

21. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Less would be worse because it depends on how much you resell the model for and the difference.

Where more requires you to resell and buy a model that is cheaper.

22. Jarson macrumors regular

Jarson

Oh boy, here we have a ”supermarket syndrom". If you go for 4-pack of certain product just because they say "take 4 pay for 3" you loose as you become victim of simple marketing. I'm not saying it is a bad deal, but you're paying more for more than you actually need, so as few guys said before, it is up to different people preferences and their needs.

And by the way, we have another dumb topic stating "why xx gb is best/worst choice". Just enjoy your device, stop making these threads to make feel better yourself and justify your choice.
    As long as you are happy with your purchase you made a perfect choice.

23. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I'm with the OP, I got a 32gb 4s and it's almost full already. :eek: I'm kicking myself for not going bigger. And the worst part is that I have almost no music on it.

24. azure247 macrumors 6502

Yet I bet you still go for the 4 pack. Costco much? Sam's club?

25. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Apple also has the best margins on the 64GB model. The flash memory is actually a fairly small part of the iPad's overall cost.

This is your argument:
    A car I want to buy costs $20,000 and includes a 6-pack of Coca Cola. For $25,000, it comes with a 12-pack, and for $30,000 it comes with a 24-pack.

The 12-pack model works out to $833 for each extra can. The 24-pack model is $555 for each extra can. The 24-pack model is the best deal!

No. It neglects that, as others have mentioned, the high end still costs more in real dollars, and people may not need the extra memory. It also neglects the actual cost to Apple of what's being bought. What's a better deal: Buying a 12-pack that normally costs $5 for $5,000, or buying a 24-pack that normally costs $8 for $10,000?

The pricing we're charged for additional memory is so disproportionate to the actual cost of the part that the best deal is to buy the minimum you need.