Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhightinPhils26

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Philly
Aside from awful battery life, here are some things to consider regarding 3G and our beloved iPhone.

1)While the call quality is better, your dropped call rate is much higher. A friend of mine works at an ATT store; he says that the 3G phones have the highest rate of return because customers drop a lot of calls because its not wide spread yet. Do you want to pay the 10% restocking fee?

2)My mom has a 3G Razr and I have the iPhone. I typed in msn.com on both devices and hit go at the same time. Now, keep in mind that the RAZR only has a WAP browser so it will pull up the abbreviated site and iPhone as you know will pull up the real thing.... yeah, my iPhone pulled the full site up faster than my mom's "amazingly fast" Razr's WAP site.

3)Reception, since like I mentioned above 3G isn't as widespread the service is very shotty. With that in mind, my mom and her Razr, along with my neighbor and his Sync both cannot get reception in the house and have to be outside to use their phone... Hate to have that when it rains...

Still want a 3G iPhone?

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Aside from awful battery life, here are some things to consider regarding 3G and our beloved iPhone.

1)While the call quality is better, your dropped call rate is much higher. A friend of mine works at an ATT store; he says that the 3G phones have the highest rate of return because customers drop a lot of calls because its not wide spread yet. Do you want to pay the 10% restocking fee?

2)My mom has a 3G Razr and I have the iPhone. I typed in msn.com on both devices and hit go at the same time. Now, keep in mind that the RAZR only has a WAP browser so it will pull up the abbreviated site and iPhone as you know will pull up the real thing.... yeah, my iPhone pulled the full site up faster than my mom's "amazingly fast" Razr's WAP site.

3)Reception, since like I mentioned above 3G isn't as widespread the service is very shotty. With that in mind, my mom and her Razr, along with my neighbor and his Sync both cannot get reception in the house and have to be outside to use their phone... Hate to have that when it rains...

Still want a 3G iPhone?

1. 3G is data not voice
2. 3G is faster than Edge.
3. 3G coverage when you can but then Edge when you don't.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
none of those are acceptable excuses when apple could have given us both edge and 3g.

If they could have then they would have. You think they didn't realize that people would complain about it?? Also consider the size of the device. I don't know if you guys have seen the tear aparts of the phone but there is no free space. So adding a 3g chip along with the edge chip would increase the size of the phone quite a bit.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
From pipesterdp's profile.

pipesterdp.jpg

heh.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
If they could have then they would have. You think they didn't realize that people would complain about it?? Also consider the size of the device. I don't know if you guys have seen the tear aparts of the phone but there is no free space. So adding a 3g chip along with the edge chip would increase the size of the phone quite a bit.

So Apple couldn't make a 3G phone? Odd...most all other cell phone makers can. I feel Apple can do this task.

Sad to see some don't think Apple can do it.

Maybe that is their friend ;)

oseary

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
Columbia, MO

1)A friend of mine works at an ATT store; he says that the 3G phones have the highest rate of return because customers drop a lot of calls because its not wide spread yet.

I love how it's always someones friend.

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
So Apple couldn't make a 3G phone? Odd...most all other cell phone makers can. I feel Apple can do this task.

Sad to see some don't think Apple can do it.

Maybe that is their friend ;)

not that they couldn't do it. They weren't willing to sacrifice certain things in order to offer a technology that your average iPhone purchaser doesn't even know about. Sure you can sit in a tech blog and throw terms like 3g and edge around but show your mom an iPhone and i'm sure she won't ask weather or not it has 3g or edge. But she'll probably like how sexy and user friendly it is.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
not that they couldn't do it. They weren't willing to sacrifice certain things in order to offer a technology that your average iPhone purchaser doesn't even know about. Sure you can sit in a tech blog and throw terms like 3g and edge around but show your mom an iPhone and i'm sure she won't ask weather or not it has 3g or edge. But she'll probably like how sexy and user friendly it is.

You obviously don't know my mom :D

I knew what you were saying. I was just having fun in a thread that is just ......well useless.

I had highspeed on my Treo and Q and while they were faster the battery life was MUCH shorter. I'm fine with what we have now.

BUT if we could get 3G with maybe 75% of the battery life we have now....I'd take it.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
All i know is that here in ireland 3G has widespread availability and is very very fast.

I don't know much about our edge network but companies don't bother with it because no one really use edge for data (except maybe MMS).

rydewnd2

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
New York City
As would I my friend. But all in due time. Maybe even an iPod touch sized 3g iphone. Now that would be hot
You obviously don't know my mom :D

I knew what you were saying. I was just having fun in a thread that is just ......well useless.

I had highspeed on my Treo and Q and while they were faster the battery life was MUCH shorter. I'm fine with what we have now.

BUT if we could get 3G with maybe 75% of the battery life we have now....I'd take it.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Odd that the OP has in their profile that they work for AT&T. Has posted this in another thread.

I work at at&t, sorry but that was a no-brainer... you were just dealing with stupid employees. I'm really sorry that you had to go though with that... Too bad your prolly not in the Philly area... That wouldn't have happened at my store.

Yet a "friend" said all this.

Something isn't adding up.

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Most of that is true, but 3G is data+voice. Thats why you can surf and talk at the same time on 3G.

Well yes but there is a separate voice and data layer from my understanding. Comparing the Data to voice isn't apples to apples.

Think that is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Can the mods lock this thread before people take it seriously?

Pure troll FUD, i tells ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.