Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilverRubicon

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Very interesting. This is consistent with my argument that widescreens have totally taken over laptops because they're a fad, not because they're more functional (for a small minority of people).

BS. You simply refuse to acknowledge the arguments that have been made in favor of widescreen. You've made up your mind and that's that.

Widescreen is not a fad. In the world of multitasking, wide screen monitors are better than 4:3. They're better for text. They're better for image editing. They're better for multimedia. They're better for laptop design. They're simply better. They're more functional in use and design. How is that a fad?

Name me one application or application category that does not benefit from a widescreen monitor?

SM0KAK

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Still waiting for 4:3 laptops to return!

I really need to replace my very old 14.1" laptop. It's display is 4:3.
I very often use it to watch digital photos. These are all 4:3 ratio. I don't want a lap top screen that gives me smaller photos.
When surfing the net or typing texts I have frequently wanted more height, but never ever more width....!
I never watch films on it.

The 14.1" 4:3 screen is 21.5 cm high.
A 17" 16:9 laptop is 21.3 cm high (1% smaller)
The drawback is that my old 14.1" is convenient to carry, but a new 17" is very very big and bulky.

Some people like the wider format, because it makes it easy to fit in a numerical keyboard. I have never used the numerical keyboard, not even with a desktop. I even bought a keyboard that doesn't have the numerical keyboard for my desktop. That way the mose is closer to me, and I get pain in my sholder much less frequently. Got this great suggestion from an ergonomist.

On laptops 16:9 looks cool, but 4:3 is much better for me.

mediasorcerer

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2010
I found it much better writing my dissertation on my widescreen MBP than on my old Toshiba 4:3. Having the widescreen means you can have two documents open side by side. This meant i could have academic papers infront of me to refer to while typing at the same time.

i agree with you,side by side is better,and also one can have the dock present to enable more access too,couple that with spaces,and its win/win.

SM0KAK

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
Side by side

Documents side by side would be very very useful. But even my desk top screen is too small for that. At least for my eyes. Should ask my boss for a bigger screen....!:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.