Why a 17" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 16, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

From the poll in another thread the 17" isn't too far off in popularity from the 15".

I didn't think that many would buy the 17". Yes, the screen real estate is GREAT, but do you guys carry them much, use them on your lap, and don't you find they take up a lot desk space, why not a 15" or 13" with an external monitor.

I'm just curious, I'd love to own a 17" for the screen size alone, but the points I mentioned above always sway me to a smaller notebook.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

At this point it's the only one that has an express card slot. That alone would have me get the 17"

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For me, because it's addicting. I can't imagine having to downsize to a 15" screen after being so used the 17". Also I'm used to carrying it around, I don't mind it on my lap, etc, etc, etc. I would never recommend one though to someone. I feel as if using the 15" and then moving up is the best way to go.

4. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Some people are truly mobile. They don't have an external monitor they can connect to everywhere they are. Maybe they're in the field, outside or commute to various locations and they want a big screen but don't have or want to carry a monitor with them too.

There are many life situations you might be oblivious to. Not everyone uses their laptop at home.

5. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

1920x1200 resolution.. the ONLY reason i went for a 17 over a 15.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I always wonder why some feel the 17" is too heavy? All my art history books, art supplies and so on were much heavier than carrying around a 17". 6.6 lbs is not that heavy but when away from home it's really nice to have the screen space. I just changed over from a 20" iMac and I just couldn't go with a 15" MBP from the 20" iMac.
    The footpad of a 17" is what 15"x10"? A 13" or 15" plus an extra monitor adds more space than just using a 17" MBP but if travel deems small then the 13" would be best.
    Guess main reasons are getting all you can get if it's your main computer or you just can't drop in screen space.

7. noespam macrumors newbie

I have a 17" MBP for the last two years and while at the time I thought it was a great idea to have the large LCD, I would not buy another one. Most of the time it is connected to a larger, eye friendly 26" panel. It's too large to travel with, certainly too large to use on a plane. I don't use it as a notebook anymore it's a desktop replacement.

I just bought the 13.3 MBP and loving it. I say go with the 13.3 and get a high quality panel.

8. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

cool! after lot's of trial and error that's the direction I'm heading :)

9. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Anyone switch from 17 to a 15, I was pondering it.

10. cu2010 macrumors 6502

i just purchased the 17" on-line. it will be difficult to part from my 3-week-old 15" :(

11. Batman101 macrumors member

it has SATA II, expresscard slot, and even possibly big enough to include blu-ray in the future.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Good answer. That was almost poetic

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a 17" and a 23" ACD next to it
    But when I do go mobile, I like the screen real estate
    The extra size/weight is negligible to me

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The 17" is the lightest 17" in the world. It's lighter than most 15" PC laptops. If your moving from a 15" PC laptop, I would always recommend it.

15. podiki macrumors member

To me it's the only Apple laptop with a decent resolution. (Typing this on a 15" 1920x1200, got two of those)

16. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

At present its the only true desktop replacement. With matte option, Express card, hi-res screen..

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I got mine cause i could not not stand the glossy screens, and the 17 was the only option. I have to admit that I love the matte screen. Also the extra resolution is awesome.

In regards to size, yeah its big, but not too heavy. Though i do have a MBA for travel needs.

I do have to admit that a non SSD 17 feels slugglish even compared to the MBA (with SSD). My first upgrade will be a SSD drive.

For anyone considering getting the 3.06 over the 2.8, save you money, you will hardly notice the difference, spend the extra $$$ on SSD drive rather then cpu upgrade. You will see a much much bigger difference from a SSD drive then the CPU upgrade.

Also the expresscard slot is a hell of alot more useful then a the useless SD slot.....

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally I've always wondered by the 17" is so popular. No knock on the current owners and prospective buyers.

I think the main differentiator is the screen, I'm sure apple in the course of time will drop the expresscard slot like it did for the other models. You're paying a premium for more screen real estate and many people who use a MBP as a desktop replacement hook it up to an external monitor, there by mitigating the advantage.

I've read enough complaints from prior owners about trying to use it in flights (too big) and lugging it around (it gets heavy and cumbersome).

Like everything else its a personal preference and many people swear by the 17" (or is it swearing at :D)

19. revs macrumors regular

I have a 15", and will be moving to 17"

My MBP doesn't really leave the house. So I guess you are all thinking "well get a an external monitor", well I used to do that, but doing so means that in addition to the Desktop, the keyboard and mouse, I also need a desk and a chair, and they will permanently take up space.
    A Laptop can be closed, and put away in a drawer, no extra furniture required! I can be social and sit with others when using it, I don't have to go away and sit at a desk or in another room.

Also since moving from (multiple) desktops to one MBP, I love it. love having everything on one machine, love being able to sit anywhere with all my files.
    So, being as I only have the one laptop, I want the best, so I want the highest resolution, and biggest screen.

Also, the 17" MBP is so compact for a 17"er that its probably comparable to many 15" PC laptops.

20. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I love my 17" it makes a great movie machine when I travel and I got it purely for the battery life when it first came out. I still love it now a few months down the line.

21. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

It's funny that some people say 17" to be heavy and very inconvenient to use in flights... but neither is 15", it's almost as heavy (weight difference is even less with matte 17") and I can't imagine carrying either in a shoulder bag.
    Both 15" and 17" are not portable and require backpack for carrying them all day long (at least for me).

The difference is that 17" is worth it.

13" Air is only macbook that I'd call portable. And it's nice complement to 17".

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is a matter of personal preference, guess that is why they make a 13", 15" and 17"
    Goldilocks found things too big, too small and just right too

I find my 17" no problem at all to transport or use on a plane

People are different, which is probably a good thing ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

23. cu2010 macrumors 6502

I always carry my 15" in my handbag, and it works for me. :)

24. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I have 2x 17"'s -- and no regrets

I'm still thinking about the 13" MBP

In fact if Apple released a 19" MBP (with numeric keypad keyboard) and maxed it out with every I/O imaginable, reinstated DVI, dual drive bays etc etc.. I'd buy it

And why not a 21" MBP for that matter?

Still the size of a brief case :D

25. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I have a 15" MacBook Pro, found the 13" MacBook too small to use on the go.

I did have a 24" Cinema Display, but I was constantly hooking it up and unhooking it not to mention I really dislike using mice. Even for Photoshopping, I prefer a trackpad (ideally a graphics tablet mind..).

So I'm planning on selling my 15" MacBook Pro in October time when the 17" get updated again and get Snow Leopard with it.. that's the plan. If the 17" aren't updated around then, might just buy anyway.

Also, the matte option is really appealing, but it is really the high resolution display.

I don't find the 15" too heavy or big to carry, and I'm sure I'll be fine with the 17".