Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think most can understand why a front facing camera makes sense - because of facetime (regardless of whether you think you would like to hold an ipad steady.. there are stands for iPads)

The question many people have is why the heck would you need a camera on the back - who would take a picture with the iPad. Who would carry an iPad around and look "dorky" trying to take a picture with it.

Well - the answer is simple. The consumer wouldn't. But the iPad is not just for the consumer. Apple wants to keep growing the enterprise market. And think of all the places that could use an iPad as a means of security (Front desks at buildings to take picture/issue temp photo ids), DMVS, etc. All places that could benefit from having a nice size touch screen WITH a camera on the other side. The business use cases are quite large.

My .02

Kestrel452

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Why is everyone making such a big stink over the usefulness of a rear camera? If it comes with one then great, if not then what's the difference to all the naysayers? Everyone is beating a dead horse with the rear camera issue.

aimee25

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Why is everyone making such a big stink over the usefulness of a rear camera? If it comes with one then great, if not then what's the difference to all the naysayers? Everyone is beating a dead horse with the rear camera issue.

Totally agree, it's not a feature I will be up grading for. I have no use for it but hey if it has one I am sure I will find a use eventually.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
As it stands, I'm in the "can't think of a use for one" camp (although the OP could have a point). I'm sure I'd find a use for a camera if it was on there, but I'm not sure a camera alone would be reason enough to move to the next gen when it comes out.
To be honest, I'm not sure I'll rush to get V2 anyway as my 1st gen does everything I want it to and is pretty much perfect for me. I'd like to think I can keep it for 2 years and then go to V3, but I have a feeling techno-lust will get the better of me ;)

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Yup, I have no problem with a rear facing camera. I can think of tons of potential uses. And the iPad, while larger than most consumer cameras, is hardly so large that it would look silly taking a photo or video with one. Wouldn't be my first choice, but if it's all I have on me why not?

Other uses: augmented reality awesomeness, quick 'scans' of documents, barcode scans, rear video stream on facetime call, pictures for contacts, picture for use in drawing app later, etc.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... The business use cases are quite large.

Yeah, at work I'd love to be able to 'photocopy' whiteboards, printouts, screens (from desktops and other workstations) pages from manuals, etc., and then carry them about and refer to them later - all on the same device.

I already do all this with my iphone, but the larger screen would be great - especially for showing to other people while we discuss.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Rear facing camera may be useful in some vertical market where folks wouldn't normally carry a phone. But I see it as a solution looking for problems. All the use cases work better with a phone, which most people carry. Augmented reality? Most folks wouldn't walk around with a 9.7" tablet facing their viewpoint.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Totally agree, it's not a feature I will be up grading for. I have no use for it but hey if it has one I am sure I will find a use eventually.

yep, if it has a facetime camera I will upgrade (if the cost is reasonable). A rear facing camera is a added bonus that could be used for documents but I won't upgrade for that alone.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
If there is a rear facing camera, I'm certain that apple will have a strong take on what it is for. It isn't at all like apple to add a feature without a big fanfare concerning its 'breakthrough' usefulness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.