Why a lock screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by icepick1985, Apr 4, 2010.

1. icepick1985 macrumors member

Heyho,

I read a lot of ipad reviews the last couple days, but one question remains:

What purpose does the lockscreen have? Can it be disabled?

On an iphone it makes sense, because of unwanted button presses but on an ipad? I don't get the point...

Looking forward to your opinions,
    florian :cool:

2. aliebel macrumors member

It can still contain a bunch of personal information you may not want someone outside of your home accessing when you're not looking.

3. icepick1985 thread starter macrumors member

Good point.

But I would welcome an option for disabling it.
    I think the times when you need your ipad to be password-locked are pretty rare (surely depending on usage).

But maybe there are some widgets available in iphone os 4.0. Then a lock screen would make sense again... ;)

4. Maximillian macrumors 6502

By defualt, there's no password-lock, just slide-to-unlock.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If yours came password protected how did you know he code?:confused:

6. icepick1985 thread starter macrumors member

I ain't got one yet, waiting for the 3g version.

@ Maximillian:
    Yeah but WHY do i have to "slide-to-unlock". Wouldn't it been much more convenient, if "slide-to-unlock" would ONLY apply if I password-protect my ipad?

Most of the other time my ipad will rest on my couch and each time I want to check something quickly, i have to "slide-to-unlock". Makes no sense to me.
    There is no information or other useless kind of application on the lockscreen which I need to bypass by "slide-to-unlock"....

7. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

The lock screen displays the time and date in a larger format than the standard home screen. It also allows you to tap the "Picture Frame Mode" icon to turn the iPad into a picture frame.

8. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

It doesn't chime password protected, you need to set it up to use a password in Settings.

9. Argo macrumors member

iPhone lock screen: The whole point of the lock screen on the iPhone, like other phones, is to stop accidental button presses when carrying your PORTABLE device from one location to another.

iPad lock screen: The whole point of the lock screen on the iPad, like on the iPhone etc, is to stop accidental button presses when carrying your PORTABLE device from one location to another.

Simples ;)

10. aerodoc macrumors member

It simply depends on how you use the device. I find pressing the home button AND slide to unlock annoying and excessive. How about just pressing the home button to unlock or a double tap. If you are just using it casually around the house this would be fine. I think that is a huge portion of the market.

I really like the device and may get a second, but seems a little too ported from my iPhone.

11. tknice macrumors member

I'm using my iPad as a controller for the home theater and it IS annoying to slide to unlock.

12. turboxt macrumors member

turboxt

Control4?

Are you using it via Control4?

13. jeffg819 macrumors regular

So my IT department can make sure I have some security on my exchange email account.

14. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Go to Settings > General > Auto-Lock and choose Never. Then it only locks when you use the button up top and doesn't lock when you set it down. Problem solved.

15. dagomike macrumors 65816

The non-password lock screen is just so you don't activate the iPad by mistake. Needed? Maybe not, but an open faced device should have some locking system so the dog, cat, baby don't go wild. If I could disable the slider, I probably would.

16. tknice macrumors member

Using HSTouch from a company called HomeSeer.

17. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I wish you could disable the lock screen if you don't have a password set.

18. esdunbar macrumors newbie

I agree. Disabling the "slide to unlock" would be fantastic. It's not an issue on my iPhone, but I don't see a need for it on my iPad. Giving us the choice would be a welcome upgrade IMO.