Why a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FormidableHI5, May 3, 2010.

1. FormidableHI5 macrumors newbie

Hello Forum, I have an honest question; why a Mac?

I've been scraping up every penny I get here and there and saving it for my new desktop. I'm reaching my goal and I should be able to afford the high end iMac.

I love OSX, I think that the iMacs are a center piece of the workplace, but, for the same price I could completely exceed the specs of the iMac.

If I chose PC rout I will be building my own, I have the know how and I enjoy working with technology in this way.

Here's my shopping list so you can see why I'm not convinced. Please do not say "you don't have to get this... etc" I do, if I'm spending 1400+ I might as well go all the way so I wont have any regrets.

iMac 27' with the i7 core, 8gb of ram (I only want 6 but there's no option)
    This adds up to the whopping total of $2400 usd.

On the PC front. I would buy the same i7 core used in the iMac, I would only buy 6gb of ram, but I would still have the option to upgrade if I needed to. 2 GTX 260's, 2 Asus 21.5' monitors. this adds up to $1900. The mouse and keyboard and OS aren't included but I'm pretty sure I could get some nice gear for $500. Also before you say anything about the ram, I could also get that within the $500 leftover. I can also OC my pc to get more out of it.

I don't get virus', never have, I doubt I ever will. If you get virus' you are either a) downloading something you shouldn't have or b) at sites you probably shouldn't be at. So that's not a factor.

Apple's slogan "It just works..." doesn't really apply to me either. I know you need to tinker with your PC from time to time to get it to work, and since I'm building it... I'll be tinkering alot, but again; I enjoy doing that.

I'll be left out in the cold when it comes to customer service with a PC.

I'll also be out of the 'cool people group' but I'm willing to risk that.

I love windows, but I love OSX. It's a toss up either way.

This will mostly be used my persuit in a career in Video editing. I like adobe product which are available on both platforms. I also like to play video games, this is something that the Mac cannot do, don’t lie to yourself. Although it is a major plus for the PC it is not enough to deter me from buying a Mac (I’ll just use my Xbox.)

So basically, why would I pay a premium on the Mac? I don’t care about the main reasons why most people switch to mac. I’m just not convinced yet. Granted I’ve been talking to EXTREMELY biased PC users, So now I’m giving the Mac users their say. (Yes I’ve talked to people at the Apple store and its like talking to a cult)

Let me know if there's anything I've left out that you'd want to know about me.
    Please tell me where my assumptions and limited experiences about the iMacs and OSX are off.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Adobe CS5 products are available for Mac OS X, you can find out via www.adobe.com

And why do you think, we lie to ourselves regarding the gaming capability of Macs? You can game on some of them, maybe not at the highest settings, but many Mac users are not spec whores, which I was when I used Windows and PCs, and I wasn't even into gaming.

Mac OS X is quite a good OS that takes advantage of all the resources it gets and therefore the workflow (maybe not the game flow) seems faster than with a faster PC and Windows. I downgraded specwise when I switched and I even gave up a high-spec Windows PC, what I remembered today, as I completely forgot it.

But my priorities are not gaming, more like media creation using Avid or FCS or PS, and for that my Macs are more than sufficient.

The iMac you want to get is capable of what you want to do, even gaming, but it will not fulfill (strange looking word) your tinkering side.

Strange déjà-vu,

3. FormidableHI5 thread starter macrumors newbie

my bad, I wasn't sure if it was 64 bit only or not and if OSX is 64 bit.
    I'm just going to take that line out so it doesn't convolute the overall question in my post.

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Are you in the USA?

Stock 27" i7 is $2200, add your own ram for 1/2 the cost. $100 for 4 gigs of ram from many 3rd party retailers.

No one is kidding them selves, iMac games fine. Last September the 4870 was one of the faster cards you could get. 5XXX series were released in Oct 09 and not really available until Jan '10 -- so all the sudden a 6 month old card is crap? Not sure how that works... And FWIW, gaming on the i5 sports identical numbers as the i7 since they both have the same GPU.

Good stuff here: http://www.barefeats.com/

Regardless -- reading your posting -- IMHO you sound perfect for a PC, not sure why you are even considering a Mac. The few things you indicated dont add up to enough to make the switch. Switching platforms would be a waste of your time.

5. FormidableHI5 thread starter macrumors newbie

It just seems like I'm paying a premium for OSX that doesn't seem to be worth it. Apple just needs to open up the rights to install OSX on any Intel based machine.

I just wanted to take into account all the options; a lot of professionals use Macs too. But I guess this is what I needed to hear. I would still like to see other opinions are but like you said, it just doesn't seem like enough to sway me over.

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I don't see that ever happening, Apple makes money on hardware sales, the OS is just for lack of a better term "Jam in the biscuit".

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then go with Windows. If you like to tinker, you might try a Hackintosh, of you haven't already.

I liked to tinker too, but I became bored with it and it was kinda frustrating (OS wise), so I decided to finally go to Mac OS X, which I have never tried, only OS 7, 8 and 9.

In the end, no one forces you to go with a Mac, if you don't feel like spending that much money and will always think about how much you paid and what you could have get instead, then take the road you already planned.

Btw, if you use MRoogle, you will find plenty of these "why Mac" threads, maybe they can give your more information.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

On the cover, Macs will always seem less impressive and more expensive, specs wise (except when you compare a Mac Pro to other high-end workstations). But just a few things to note:

1) The 27" iMac uses an IPS, LED backlit display. The Dell U2711 uses an IPS display (and I'm assuming LED for the sake of argument) and is $1100 by itself.

2) I don't know if you've heard the news but apparently this little company called Valve has said they're going to bring a few obscure games to the Mac. I've never heard of any of their games, but apparently it's a big deal. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic).

3) Apple isn't likely to open up OS X to 3rd party hardware any time soon.

9. FormidableHI5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't sure how open this forum was to hacking mac os. I haven't done it yet but I was planning on doing if I go PC rout.

Thanks for both of your input, you are great.

10. Raje macrumors member

Considering you do not prefer (need) OSX any more than windows I say build the windows machine. It will be better for gaming (I recommend the 5770s or the new Fermis from Nvidia, DX11 is a must imo). I have a PC desktop for gaming it has windows 7 and it runs fine, it cost me about $900. However, the next laptop I get will be a Mac due to the battery life, OSX, lack of viruses, etc. IMO, Mac desktops are overpriced and if you are fine using windows then you might as well build a PC, I would never buy a PC desktop as they use crappy parts (most of the time) and are overpriced.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Resident decenter here, I think you should get a PC.

Why? Because Aero Snap in Windows 7 is much better than anything OS X has to offer. Specs aside, I find Windows 7 to be a much nicer OS than 10.6.

P.S. I too never once got a virus or managed to destroy my Windows install like so many mac users/PC haters have managed to do.

12. Christina1971 macrumors regular

These sorts of threads come up a lot. I feel that on occasion, they're posted by people looking for a bit of a fight. Why come to a Mac board, for example, and talk about how great your Sony Vaio is? Who cares? (not that you're doing that specifically, but I've read this before.)

Anyway, you say you are asking an honest question, so my honest reply is, you should definitely not switch. It would be a waste of your time and the time of others for people to post "I like Macs because of X, Y and Z" only for you to say that you don't care about X, Y, or Z. You sound extremely computer literate, so I doubt there is anything that you don't know about Macs that could change your mind. And that's fine! There's nothing wrong with that. No one had to lay out 50 reasons for me to use Macs. I made my own choice, I've been happy with it and I'm in no cult (though, what do you expect from people in an Apple Store? Their job is to sell you Macs.)

You sound happy with building a PC. I wouldn't be, but that doesn't make one of us right or wrong, just different. A PC is clearly the right tool for you. Go in peace. :)

13. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

It sounds like you need a Gentoo-based PC.

14. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Get a PC. That will eliminate the complaining you'll probably end up posting in a month or two. Either you see the benefits, or you don't. I happen to like the simplicity, ease of use, reliability, lack of bloatware, no registry, and rock solid computing. I do IT for a living, and have found my MB rock solid, and covers all my needs day in/out.

Go get a DELL Vostro, or an HP Pavilion. Then you can tweak, play, and do what you want and not cause the posters on this forum to hear you constantly complain how much better Windows 7 is. Oh, and the new Windows 7 "Snap to" feature is WELL worth the cost...LOL

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The next time something goes horribly wrong, you'll be grateful you have only one company to call. With Windows, I was always tossed back and forth between the hardware company and Microsoft, nobody wanted to accept liability.

Say goodbye to random errors. I've never, that means not once, booted another person's Windows computer without an error window posting at startup, crying about .dll crap or something.

Viruses? I was as careful as could be and still managed to get three or more of those fake virus removers that just appear out of nowhere and change you desktop background. Put down the M16, this isn't Hamburger Hill! On the mac, you're free to walk the park without malicious strangers or VC in the bush. It's a HUGE HUGE, I can't emphasize enough, HUGE relief!

You build computer, computer dies, you have nobody to run to. The warranty and support of Apple has rescued my hair. They're ALWAYS understanding and will accept responsibility for their rare flops.

Who else offers the iMac's form factor? I don't mean an all-in-one, I mean an all-in-one that doesn't look like some kids found an old IBM terminal and tried to cram a display and computer inside. NOTHING parallels the iMac when it comes to form. iMacs have always taken the form of a display, the most efficient way to eliminate the wasted desk-space a tower creates. Take the PC you're using right now and chuck it off the desk, leaving only your LCD monitor. Roomy, eh? I even say the same about the original CRT iMacs, it's a MAJOR convenience.

Apple is everywhere. They designed the components inside your iMac, they designed the mouse, they designed the keyboard and they designed them to all work together with their router and their iPhones. Having a single company in all of these niches is...well I haven't been searching so tediously for deals on Advil after switching to Apple. You don't have to call Belkin, then get tossed to Microsoft, then get tossed to Broadcom...if you don't want, because Apple also plays nice with these companies and you'll find it's superbly compatible with your printers, routers and peripherals. I haven't got a device in my house that I brought over from my PC with a single hitch. My cameras, printer and mouses just work. I must have busted a blood vessel trying to create a home-sharing network in Windows, but didn't break a sweat setting one up with OS X to also work with Windows. Integration and compatibility, numba-one!

OS X is amazing. It doesn't get bogged down after two months, and it doesn't need its .dll registry constantly up-kept. I've got a PowerMac from 2003 that still fits into a modern world with modern internet standards, talk about longevity.

All-in-all, the experience is where the *slight* premium lies. Think about it, the premium isn't that much. Name ONE other system as well-designed and as finely-crafted as the iMac for a price within the iMac's periphery! Can't! The exclusive Apple designs and features make up most of the shallow "premium" that we face, the lovely experience more than covers the rest. Yes...I'm in love with Apple's user-experience. I've never felt so liberated as when I started using my first mac two years ago.

16. danjames99 macrumors member

danjames99

I faced the same question you did. Do I buy a new iMac 27 (i5) or build my own pc with Windows 7? I ended up building my own desktop with Windows7, which I'm on right now.

The reasons that the iMac tempted me were many. For one, it is in fact the best bargain Mac in terms of quality of parts to dollar spent. The IPS monitor is unique and you'd have to spend more than the new iMac itself to get better quality. Certainly, OSX is nice and seamless, and as a geek and graphics guy I appreciate the thought that went into the form factor as well as the engineering.

However, I balked at not being able to change out the hard-drive easily on the iMac -- I think that became the factor that everything hinged on.

I don't agree with those who say that it's "easier" to get customer service with Apple because it's one company that makes everything. If you build your own machine with parts that are highly-rated on NewEgg, you'll have something far more reliable than anything built by anyone but a custom supplier. The PC manufacturers do use cheesy parts to cut corners, but that only makes building your own that much sweeter.

Also, Windows7 works fantastically well. I don't know if it runs "faster" on the same hardware as OSX (there are tests that say it does -- fine, either way), but it is what you'd want a general-purpose Windows OS with a good UI to be. I have to say I bought W7 because it looked to me like a better platform for me to do the photography I need to do, even for minor things like being able to hit Alt-W when I'm in Photoshop to scroll through different images when I have ten or more open.

Apple makes innovative products, and has many advantages in their approach to computing -- that's why I always keep a toe in the Mac world. However, I think they're not the default platform for Adobe users anymore -- especially power users, especially if you like Windows anyway. Even the more dedicated Mac faithful will ruefully admit that.

\\\

And I do really like the Mac form factors. I bought an Antec 300 case, because it was about the only dignified, subdued metal case I found for PC builders that didn't have gaudy plastic parts on it.

17. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

Dude, I totally feel where your coming from. I've been building pc's since 11 years old and I was in your position about a month ago. I wanted to build another pc since my original core2duo was on the way out, but i thought about it and i realized I was fed up with dealing with windows ******** and all the ******** that goes with building a pc. Drink the kool-aid, it's actually pretty tasty.