Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kashik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
So I've been waiting since November to jump into the Mac world, again. Haven't had one for about 8 years. At first it seemed like a no brainer to get the MBP. However, recently after looking at its specs and price, I don't know anymore. After customizing a Dell XPS, I can get a computer with specs that far exceed those of a MBP costing $1000 more.

Can someone PLEASE remind me why I want to get the MBP instead of the XPS. (Vista/leopard aside)

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Can someone PLEASE remind me why I want to get the MBP instead of the XPS. (Vista/leopard aside)

OSX. And to save you buying a Dell then winding up buying the MacBook Pro as well when you realise you've made a mistake (trust me, I've done it - albeit it was an HP in my case).

conchshell

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008
There is no question that the xps notebooks are fantastic computers (esp 1530). I am in this same position deciding between the two and the two hardware reasons I am leaning to MBP (aside from the OS) are that the MBP has a much better keyboard (backlit keyboard makes a huge difference imo) and is noticeably quieter. It's too bad they won't sell it with Windows XP instead of Vista.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007

If OS X is worth that $1000 difference to you, get it. If it isn't, get the Dell. Personally, I'd skip both and get a Thinkpad, but there you go.

kashik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
There is no question that the xps notebooks are fantastic computers (esp 1530). I am in this same position deciding between the two and the two hardware reasons I am leaning to MBP (aside from the OS) are that the MBP has a much better keyboard (backlit keyboard makes a huge difference imo) and is noticeably quieter. It's too bad they won't sell it with Windows XP instead of Vista.

As it stands, the XPS for $2000 will give you a 1680x1050resolution, 256MB Video Card, 2.2GHz C2D, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth Mouse, and a 3 year warranty.

As a PC owner I'm very adept at Windows, and also don't have many reasons to hate on it. I would like to use Leopard, and get that sexy design... but at the moment it doesn't make sense... This is the main reason why I've been waiting for an update. Hoping the MBP revision can lessen that gap.

Tough decision.

Are backlit keys, quieter fans and OSX really worth more than a $1000? (for $3000 MBP only gives you 1440x900 res, 128MB Video Card, everything else the same)

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
As it stands, the XPS for $2000 will give you a 1680x1050resolution, 256MB Video Card, 2.2GHz C2D, 200GB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth Mouse, and a 3 year warranty.

As a PC owner I'm very adept at Windows, and also don't have many reasons to hate on it. I would like to use Leopard, and get that sexy design... but at the moment it doesn't make sense... This is the main reason why I've been waiting for an update. Hoping the MBP revision can lessen that gap.

Tough decision.

Are backlit keys, quieter fans and OSX really worth more than a $1000? (for $3000 MBP only gives you 1440x900 res, 128MB Video Card, everything else the same)

$3000 = 17" MBP 2.4GHz 160GB 256MB VRAM 1990x blabhabbha resolution (supports HD1020)

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007

Ultimately, this is something only you can decide. Most people on this forum will say yes, for apparent reasons. Most people on a Dell forum would say no, for equally apparent reasons. Both are capable machines that will perform admirably. At the end of the day, it's your cash, so the decision will have to come from you.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX

Tough decision.

How heavy/thick is the XPS? Does it also include a camera? It would be helpful if you could post the link of the XPS, so that a good comparison can be made.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
what are you planning to do on the machine?

Part of me is thinking you are better off getting the dell. For one thing, you have waited 8 years to purchase a mac and you haven't and two you are asking this question. So my guess is, you don't have a need for a mac and the things you want done, can easily be done on a pc.

I say, save your money and purchase the dell. You seem to be happy with the pc platform. If you are not happy with the pc platform, then maybe going for the macbook, would be a better purchase.

again, I don't know what your needs are or what you plan on doing with your machine.

conchshell

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2008

Tough decision.

That is definitely the question (although I am seeing $2K not 3K for the 128Mb Vid Card, 1440x900 res, unless you are talking about about a different configuration). I have been going through this same debate also. I mean with the XPS I can get Blu-Ray under $2K and I may not be able to get Blu-Ray at any price with Macbook Pro in the near future. But imo Mac excels in usability where there is no raw # index to compare it with other PCs. We can point to small things like keyboards, noise, etc but it's a sum greater than it's parts. My friend lent me his MBP and I did some writing in my bed, lights out, gf asleep next to me. It seems worth $1000 to me but ymmv.

kashik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
That is definitely the question (although I am seeing $2K not 3K for the 128Mb Vid Card, 1440x900 res, unless you are talking about about a different configuration).

I customized the MBP to match the XPS' Hard drive and warranty time. (i think it was about $640 to up it to 200GB 7200RPM and get AppleCare)

what are you planning to do on the machine?

Part of me is thinking you are better off getting the dell. For one thing, you have waited 8 years to purchase a mac and you haven't and two you are asking this question. So my guess is, you don't have a need for a mac and the things you want done, can easily be done on a pc.

I say, save your money and purchase the dell. You seem to be happy with the pc platform. If you are not happy with the pc platform, then maybe going for the macbook, would be a better purchase.

again, I don't know what your needs are or what you plan on doing with your machine.

I havent been waiting 8 years, just the last time I had one was 8 years ago.

I'm a student right now. I use Powerpoint and photoshop quite often for projects, as well as for fun. Other than that, I'd use it to take notes, internet and output HiDef videos to a TV.

While I enjoy PC's, I'm also interested in Macs because of their capabilities and looks. But I guess what I'd really like to know is how can a MBP specifically benefit me over a PC. As well, for the people that have made the switch, why was it worth $1000 to you?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Expose/spaces and stability mostly. Also, I like mac office better than pc office, but I could probably get use to it.

honestly, but OS are fine. Macs have plenty of their own quirks. Play around with both and see which you like.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
While I enjoy PC's, I'm also interested in Macs because of their capabilities and looks. But I guess what I'd really like to know is how can a MBP specifically benefit me over a PC. As well, for the people that have made the switch, why was it worth $1000 to you?

I think you should be looking at the macbook. not the macbook pro.
Unless you are doing some really serious, big projects in photoshop, the macbook is more than enough.

why did I buy the mbp? well I use it extensively for video projects. I have Final cut studio installed(mac only). my MBP has made my workflow easier since it interacts very nicely with my macpro. I can now be productive on the go. I also heavily rely on macOSX so a dell is out of the question, since a large part of my software I use on a daily basis is mac only. Moving all my production software to dell, will require me to learn new software, abandon some of my software and re-purchase some of the software(ex. photoshop)

The improved workflow, the wonderful OS, is worth more than $1000 for me. 4 months after purchasing it, it has already paid for itself.

if you don't plan on taking advantage of the macOSX platform or you don't have a use for the mac platform, then I would agree, $1000 might not be worth it.

If you are curious about the mac platform, then get a cheaper machine like the macbook. If you like the experience and would like to do more, then you can think about purchasing a pro machine, farther down the line.

Ideally at that point, you would have had enough mac experience to fully understand the advantages over the pc platform.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Can you tell us why you need a MBP, and not a Macbook? I have a Macbook, and it does everything I want in terms of performance a a whole lot more. It also was barely more expensive than a windows counterpart. I don't do pro stuff, though. If you need to, that's a different matter,

Remember this: A Mac has a GREAT resell value. So if you buy, say, a MBP, and sell it on eBay in 3 years, you're getting a whole lot more money for it than you would have if you had bought a PC for the same cost and the same time. If you look at it, Macs are actually cheaper in many cases with that in mind. In addition, never buy apple ram. Apple WAY overcharges for their ram. Buy no ram from Apple and buy 3rd-party ram and you'll be set.

If you need windows, you can run it. I would not pay an extra $1000 for a MBP, but if you factor in the resell value, no apple ram, and the better OS, as well as whether or not you even need a MBP, you'll be convinced.

Don't buy a MBP if you don't need it! Too many people make that mistake!

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
I don't really think you should buy in to that whole "sell your mac in 2-3 years for almost what it cost new" argument...the reason?

People exaggerate the resale value of Macs. Yes, they have a higher resale value than your average PC...but let's be realistic...it still depreciates faster than a car after the first year or so.

Let's take arguably the most-sought-after non-current Mac, the 12" Powerbook G4 1.5ghz. You can't get a Mac this small anymore (including the Air). Yes, the MBa is lighter, but it is still BIGGER, and for a lot of people, smaller dimensions are more important than weight.

Anyway, the last 12" cost between 1500 and 1700 dollars on the last day you could buy one officially from Apple (summer 2006). You can buy one now for 700 dollars on ebay. Sometimes they go for more than 800 bucks, but not always.

That's the MOST desirable "old" mac out there, and it has dropped to half price in less than 2 years.

Don't expect to get top dollar for a used Mac in the future. It isn't a financial investment. It is a life/business expense.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I really don't think you need a MacBook Pro. It's a desktop replacement, and an expensive one at that. You do realize that a top-of-the-line MacBook is still about $250 less than even the cheapest MacBook Pro, right? And that a maxed out MacBook is actually BETTER than an entry MacBook Pro in nearly every way.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
I have never owned a mac, yet I'm pulled to the MBP. My last laptop was a 15.4" Thinkpad T61p, actually comparable to a base MBP except with 256mb of video memory. It cost me only 1250ish after taxes and such. Now I want the MBP for a replacement because of the design, higher overall build quality (lower tolerances), slot loading drive, LED backlit screen, backlit keyboard, iSight, lighter weight and smaller dimensions, aluminum and finally OS X ;)

Not all of those would apply to the xps too but I'd pay more to escape Dell quality and design :p

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Don't be silly!
Dell? Who? oh...

Anyway yeah Macbook Pro lets see why you should get one....

- Gorgeous machine!
- OSX
- It's a Mac?! Duh!! :p
- Great software
- Virus free
- Their customer care rocks (although some disagree)

:D

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
Dell = laptop + Vista (or XP)

MBP = very cool laptop + OSX + Fusion + XP or Vista

Simple mathematics ...

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford

The 1730 i believe has a windows xp pro version. I was looking at that, however, even though i've had no issues with Dell over the yrs I'm still making the Macbook Pro my next purchase. I want to think different :)

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
If you're going to get a Dell, engadget had an article how Dell is preping their Latitude E series notebooks.. just something to think about if you go for the Latitude line

P.S. Good job of not becoming a brainless OS X fanatic!:D

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Honestly, there really is no good reason to spend extra. Many will say "OSX" but that still does not justify it. Frankly I find it a little strange that you would log onto this site and ask which one is better. Of course you are going to hear people suggesting the mbp here...its macrumors.com. looking at it from a totally unbiased macfanboyless point of view, the XPS is a much better deal.

however, if you really like the feel you get with macbook pros then go for it. They are excellent machines and fairly powerful in their own respect. I am getting one as soon as they update.

oh, and also dell just announced that penryn processors are a free upgrade, available immediately. So that might be something to think about as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.