Why a new video card from NVIDIA don't have a Mini Display Port?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amethyst, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

Now. We got a news that 2 new graphics card comming to mac pro.

the NVIDIA Quadro FX4800 (that is the first PRO graphics for Mac pro'09) .

and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285.

But why NVIDIA don't have Mini Display port for these new graphics card ?

Even if many PRO user prefer to use the display from Apple.

Or they know something about a new Cinema display ?

2. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

mini display port is for the macbooks

why would you put it on a desktop? -___-

and besides the manufacturers of the GFX cards probably dont want to, its not marketable probably? since its just for macs

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

then why did Apple go to the trouble of releasing the ATI 4870 with one mini display port and one DL DVI for the Mac Pro?

Personally I'm happy with DL DVI, and it would be bliss to think Apple will release a 30" with DL DVI connection also.. but it doesn't look likely

4. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

from now i think buying LED ACD isn't a good choice. because if you bought LED ACD forget about upgrading a new graphics cars that doesn't come from Apple

5. grue macrumors 65816

Because the overwhelming majority of people who'll buy that card probably don't give a wet fart about the LED cinema display.

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeah, but they'll probably want two DVI ports if they have multiple displays

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Because they want people to buy their display.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because DisplayPort is the future of connectors?

9. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes DP is the future but why NVIDIA don't use them?

10. chelsel macrumors 6502

I'm sure there will be an adapter from Apple or Belkin, if there isn't already one...

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except you can't do DVI to Mini DisplayPort at all.

12. TrapOx macrumors 6502

NVIDIA doesn't use it because they can see through Apple's BS and realize that its simply a marketing scam. DP is no better in any way than DVI.

13. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Surely a transcoder device is possible?

14. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

So if DisplayPort is the future (which it does seem to be) why isnt NVIDIA using it on the new graphics cards for the Mac Pro (if this is indeed the case). The information here seems to be contradictory.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not really, no. It would not be worth the expenditure to produce or sell (too expensive and requires its own power) one, either.

16. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

I think like Tallest Skil about adaptor topic. It hard to do the think like that.

That make me think every mac product must have MDP by standard.

but why?

ps. now it hard to bought a LED ACD. especially when you think about apple price of graphics card ($399 vs $199 for 4870), The choice we have (If you use LED ACD you have only crappy GT120 and apple 4870, if you use 3rd party monitor you have 4870 at pc price , 4890 , 4850 , 4870x2 , GTX280 to Quadro) ,and a gap between apple update their VGA line up (1 years for each mac pro update).

17. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Because it's not really the future?

It's been almost 4 years now and I don't see it on any products at all. I guess there are some but I don't see those I guess. All the products in the stores have HDMI, DVI, and HD-15pin VGA. That's it. Of the 100's of monitors and cards I see that's all there is.

DP is the future? At 4 years old already? Really? Hmm.. OK.

18. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Really I don't know what Apple is doing with their displays. 5 years since last they updated the 30"? WTF? I can't count how many times I've said that same statement. I don't understand where they (Apple) are headed.

19. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, of course, they're headed in the Apple direction. ;)

20. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

For DisplayPort to really make headway, there needs to be an LCD panel from a manufacturer who decides to make a panel that a user could clock to something over 60Hz. I know that some people have done OC'ed screens, but it seemed like a pain in the ass. Why over 60 Hz? SOmething about the amount of information being transmitted. I could be off on that....

But what I DO know is that MiniDisplayPort is an Apple standard and it will be accepted much like the Apple Display Connector was.

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Classic, awkard Apple.

"all engineered to standards that don't even exist yet", it's too bad we live in the present eh?

I wish Apple would use DisplayPort properly, or not at all. For gosh sakes, their own Cinema Display uses it, but doesn't even carry audio....

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Curious... For the experts. what does mini DisplayPort/DisplayPort offer that a DVI-D doesn't, besides audio??

23. sgtbilko28 macrumors newbie

sgtbilko28

its a stupid idea, in an area thats confusing enough to consumers to introduce ANOTHER video port.

all the newest imacs have it aswell, so not just the macbooks. 4800 and gtx285 won't have it because apple didn't get a say in their release most likely.

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

Perhaps because they only modified an existing product. Re-write the firmware to EFI, and drivers. It allows them to use the same boards and components, so no redesign required (costs more). It also allows them to complete the development faster.

Keep in mind, nVidia did this, not Apple. If it had been Apple, the Mini DisplayPort would have been added, assuming they followed their own comments. ;)

As it happens, many users may actually prefer the dual DVI ports, as they can use existing monitors, or purchase a 3rd party unit they might actually want. Rather than something they're stuck with. :p

Dual Link DVI is still sufficing ATM, so any move would be out of necessity (bandwidth limit exceeded). ;)

25. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

DVI took an embarrassingly long time to catch on, as I recall. And it didn't really take off until after  had adopted it. VGA ports are still shipping on a lot of hardware, and that port needed to die a long time ago. DVI offers a lot more than VGA, and MDP/DP offer a much lesser improvement. Upgrading to that standard would naturally take more time.

It'll be a long time before people upgrade to whatever is to replace HDTV. Dollars to doughnuts its improvement will be much more incremental than what HDTV offered over SD. Incremental upgrades take a lot longer to catch on than big ones. This is a principle everybody would do well to keep in mind.