Why A Release date of July 11th

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stockcerts, Jun 13, 2008.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I was surprised when Apple said the IPhone wouldn't be released until July 11th. I was hoping it would be the same week as the announcement.

Why do you think it's a month from the announcement? My guess is so they can build up and ship a decent number of units to the Apple and AT&T stores.

2. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

Probably to see what the forums say haha.. or just to annoy us

3. MojoWill macrumors 6502

to build up suspense more than anything nothing you want more than the thing you can't have!

4. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Logistics...exactly.

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

and we don't know when Apple submitted the iPhone 3G to the FCC

6. cube macrumors G5

A date on which operators on 22 countries are ready (make that 21).

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Why a July 11th release date? "Because they can!" LOL :eek::p

8. QuietFun macrumors regular

QuietFun

More Media hype also.. There would not have been much of a line at the stores if it would have been released immediately. Now there will be lines in many places and therefore MANY local news live shots and national attention in various cities.

9. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

One reason I thought it would have been sooner is because they have an entire month of not pumping out any IPhones, no new IPhone revenue for a month seems like a big hit.

10. beaker26 macrumors member

I agree with this too. Apple expects to sell a lot of these, and wants them sold quickly. I don't think they want to do it Wii style where they're hard to get for some time. Also instead of stocking just one country they are also stocking 22.

I'm sure hype builds into it, but I think Apple doesn't want to rush the process and screw something up that would create bad PR.

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I was surprised as well, actually just disappointed. I kinda think, besides the hype thing, it is the fact that they will be available at the same time across 22 countries and they have to ship them to everywhere in the mean time.

12. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

wasn't there a rumor about a delay? could be true!

and they want to have a huge amount of devices for its release ;)

13. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

By the time July 11th comes around, iPhone 3G will have a phenomenal amount of hype surrounding it, possibly even bigger than the original iPhone.
    This, and this only, is the reason for the months delay.

Apple want maximum sales on launch day, and as already stated, there's nothing like wanting what you can't have.

R-Fly

14. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

because it's my birthday and as soon as you get your iPhone, swing into 7-11 for a free slurpee, yeah!

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

They could only make and ship a small number of phones to stores and still keep it a secret. But then they'd sell out in 4-5 seconds. Not very useful.

In order to ship enough to keep the stores stocked, they'll need a few weeks. And if they tried to do that without announcing it, someone would steal one and put it on the internet.

That's really all there is to it.

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I think employee training was also part of the decision too. Now they can properly train store employees and not worry about leaks.

17. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

Ha ha, that's funny because AT&T employees wont know anything anyway... they are clueless.

18. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

Aside from the realistic points already made, I have one reason that I like to think about from a hopeful standpoint.

To add a few surprises.

Remember the late addition of the YouTube app? The late addition of the glass screen?

There was no "one more thing," at this year's WWDC. Maybe it is yet to come?

I am falling prey to wishful thinking, but wishful thinking never really hurt someone with enough brainpower to accept that it might not happen. <shrug>