Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Personally, I'd like to have a bit larger iPad, maybe 11.7", with a case similar to theMicrosoft tablet, that acts like a keyboard. I know people are going to say, just buy a MacBook air then, but I use my iPad a lot. I use it more than my MBP, or any windows laptops in the house. I use it, by far, more than any other tech item in my home. In fact, my new MBP retina is collecting dust because I use the iPad so much. I can't be the only one. It's just so convenient to carry around.
I would buy an 11.7" iPad without question, but I would NOT buy a 7'75 or whatever it's mini. I think the mini goes in the wrong direction.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Personally, I'd like to have a bit larger iPad, maybe 11.7", with a case similar to theMicrosoft tablet, that acts like a keyboard. I know people are going to say, just buy a MacBook air then, but I use my iPad a lot. I use it more than my MBP, or any windows laptops in the house. I use it, by far, more than any other tech item in my home. In fact, my new MBP retina is collecting dust because I use the iPad so much. I can't be the only one. It's just so convenient to carry around.
I would buy an 11.7" iPad without question, but I would NOT buy a 7'75 or whatever it's mini. I think the mini goes in the wrong direction.

Yes, again, something I've been asking for, for almost 3 years now since I saw how tiny the iPad looked in my hands after I unpacked it.

If screen shots I saw during the launch, perhaps many with women holding them, and in the Apple adverts, the iPad looked quite large, but upon opening the box, perhaps as I have long hands being quite tall, I was a little shocked it was a fair bit smaller than I'd pictured in my mind.

There is no doubt in my mind at all, if there had been two size options that many of us here would have opted for the larger model. Not everyone of course, but I'm sure it would of been a popular model, for those who wished the device for entertainment purposes especially.

I do hope in time, Apple, Microsoft, or some other companies establish a larger size of tablets to select from, much in the same way that 4" or 4.5" ish is becoming what many would expect from a modern top end phone.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Why not both? I don't know why it has to be an "either or" proposition. I can see enough market for both smaller and bigger. Look at the diversity in the iPod designs for example.

For me, the existing iPad is too big and heavy. I would love an iPad Mini for its size. But I also want it to be top-notch with the latest processors, plenty of memory, etc. I am worried Apple will make the iPad Mini a low budget model.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
1zdufkl.png

2vxlh8o.png

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

I don't get some of you Apple guys. What's wrong with choice? Other than different accessories there will be no fragmentation at all if specs match iPad 2. And you now what, Apple products are getting stale to this Android fanboy. A smaller tablet will be a good kick start in the pants and good competition for the Nexus 7. Unlike many Apple lovers I invite competition. It only makes products cheaper and better for consumers.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't get some of you Apple guys. What's wrong with choice? Other than different accessories there will be no fragmentation at all if specs match iPad 2. And you now what, Apple products are getting stale to this Android fanboy. A smaller tablet will be a good kick start in the pants and good competition for the Nexus 7. Unlike many Apple lovers I invite competition. It only makes products cheaper and better for consumers.

I know.

Apple makes a range of different iPods = Correct
Apple makes a range of different iMacs = Correct
Apple makes a range of different MacBooks = Correct
Apple makes only 1 tablet = Correct

Does make you question the logic in that, does it not?
And it may lead you to the conclusion that for many if Apple does it = Correct

I suppose the proof will be if, in say 5 or 10 years time:
Apple makes a range of tablets = Correct. Will occur.

And before anyone say, blah blah all the iPad options. I don't class the same device with two colours, different memory options or a 3G chip or not as different models. It's the same model with some tiny options.

By that logic, a Ford car with fuel tank size, a radio fitted or not and two colour options would be classed as a range of different cars, and we know we don't see things this way.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Cool, they can make a 7.75" iPad and a 4" or greater iPhone 5. The next Logical progression is the ipadPhone @ 5.5/6", thus eliminating the ipad and iPhone being separate entities and losing billions of dollars. The size needs to go up, not down for the iPad AND the iPhone. Those who want a smaller ipad must have baby fingers and sit the device on their nose when viewing it.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Cool, they can make a 7.75" iPad and a 4" or greater iPhone 5. The next Logical progression is the ipadPhone @ 5.5/6", thus eliminating the ipad and iPhone being separate entities and losing billions of dollars. The size needs to go up, not down for the iPad AND the iPhone. Those who want a smaller ipad must have baby fingers and sit the device on their nose when viewing it.

I'm with ya dude...the current ipad is as small as I'm willing to tolerate. I would like to see an iPad with a larger screen. Somewhere between 12-14".

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Yeah, I've found that sheet music on the iPad is too small. Not the point size, but the real estate.
Eventually there will be a larger one.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

From a consumer perspective, there's nothing wrong with choice, from a manufacturer's perspective, it makes sense for some but not others. No manufacturer is obligated to offer every permutation of what a customer could possibly want because it can have a detrimental impact on its business, so the "Apple needs to do xxxx" appeals are a little silly. Apple knows that it can make bigger and smaller devices and will do so when it sees a business need to introduce alternative sizes.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
Apple makes a range of different iPods = Correct
Apple makes a range of different iMacs = Correct
Apple makes a range of different MacBooks = Correct
Apple makes only 1 tablet = Correct

Incorrect. Shall I dig up the dozen threads where you've repeated this again and again only for it to be shown to be special pleading?

And before anyone say, blah blah all the iPad options. I don't class the same device with two colours, different memory options or a 3G chip or not as different models. It's the same model with some tiny options.

By that logic, a Ford car with fuel tank size, a radio fitted or not and two colour options would be classed as a range of different cars, and we know we don't see things this way.

Shorter Piggie: "Don't bother pointing out how I am wrong. Here's an example which ignores anything salient"

Even shorter Piggie: *posts garbage*

EDIT: holy loly. If Apple makes a range of different iPods, but storage and colour don't count for differentiation, then Piggie is putting the iPod Shuffle and the iPod Touch in the same category - even though they are hugely different. Why? Because they have the name 'iPod' on them? Because they play MP3s? Why not just say "Apple offers a range of computing devices to cover many use cases, but like any company, do not make literally every permutation"? Piggie alternates between lumping products by name (iPod) or function (tablet computer) when it is convenient, not because there is any essential unity to these product categories which can then be assessed for their level of diversification.

EDIT 2: On Piggie's planet, if Apple only made the iPod Touch, he would be relieved at the addition of the iPod Shuffle, because that's somehow a device of the same class. But the iPod Touch and the iPad are somehow not similar enough to be members of the same class. This is only possible with criteria which vary to suit one's purposes, not as a result of good faith reasoning.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Shall I dig up the dozen threads where you've repeated this again and again only for it to be shown to be special pleading?

Shorter Piggie: "Don't bother pointing out how I am wrong. Here's an example which ignores anything salient"

Even shorter Piggie: *posts garbage*

EDIT: holy loly. If Apple makes a range of different iPods, but storage and colour don't count for differentiation, then Piggie is putting the iPod Shuffle and the iPod Touch in the same category - even though they are hugely different. Why? Because they have the name 'iPod' on them? Because they play MP3s? Why not just say "Apple offers a range of computing devices to cover many use cases, but like any company, do not make literally every permutation"? Piggie alternates between lumping products by name (iPod) or function (tablet computer) when it is convenient, not because there is any essential unity to these product categories which can then be assessed for their level of diversification.

EDIT 2: On Piggie's planet, if Apple only made the iPod Touch, he would be relieved at the addition of the iPod Shuffle, because that's somehow a device of the same class. But the iPod Touch and the iPad are somehow not similar enough to be members of the same class. This is only possible with criteria which vary to suit one's purposes, not as a result of good faith reasoning.

I've gotta take sides with piggie here. Your post appears to be mostly incoherent rambling.

The point is Apple has always had multiple screen sizes for various functions for their iMac and Macbook lines. They also created multiple sizes of iPod over the years: classic, mini, nano, shuffle. Why should the iPad be any different?

It's hard to discipher all the yammering, but I believe one of you main arguments appears to be that an iPod Touch is kind of like an iPad Nano and thus there are 2 size iPads. This is a valid argument, and the lines between the two would certainly start to blur if Apple had a 4" iPod touch, and a 7" (or even smaller!) iPad. But still I don't think there are many people that would classify the iPod Touch in the same category as the iPad. The fact is that tablet computing can reasonably fall in the range of 7" to 12", and yet some people preach that 9.7" is the only conceivable size because it is sanctioned by apple.

The truth is that OS X is simply lends itself much better to different screen sizes because of the way the OS works and that apps are built. Would a 12" screen where everything was just blown up a bit bigger really prove to be that much more useful? Perhaps for some, especially for things like video. But I don't think Apple would create a larger screen without some better solution.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why a smaller iPad, why not a larger one?
Because it takes more than just one customer for a mass produced product to be viable. It would even take more than just however many MacRumors users are for the idea. Does a market study indicate that a larger iPad would succeed?

Those who want a smaller ipad must have baby fingers and sit the device on their nose when viewing it.
Not necessarily. You could have fat fingers and poor eyes. No telling via a forum thread like this.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I've gotta take sides with piggie here. Your post appears to be mostly incoherent rambling.

The point is Apple has always had multiple screen sizes for various functions for their iMac and Macbook lines. They also created multiple sizes of iPod over the years.

To say 'Apple makes a range of products in all their categories except for the Pad' is selective. They make a bunch of iPad models, and a bunch of laptops, and a bunch of MP3 players, etc. To see one of those categories as having different models and to see another as 'well it's really just one model because I arbitrarily decided which differences count and which ones don't' is to make a terrible argument. Piggie should just say 'waah I want a 7" iPad' instead of acting like Apple is denying choice in one category of their products and no other. I hope that clears it up for you.

EDIT: Piggie hasn't been endlessly whining over the fact that there aren't more sizes of the Cinema Display or iPod Touch. It's just him confusing "I want this" with "Apple is wrong to not make this".

Last edited:
To say 'Apple makes a range of products in all their categories except for the Pad' is selective. They make a bunch of iPad models, and a bunch of laptops, and a bunch of MP3 players, etc. To see one of those categories as having different models and to see another as 'well it's really just one model because I arbitrarily decided which differences count and which ones don't' is to make a terrible argument. Piggie should just say 'waah I want a 7" iPad' instead of acting like Apple is denying choice in one category of their products and no other. I hope that clears it up for you.

EDIT: Piggie hasn't been endlessly whining over the fact that there aren't more sizes of the Cinema Display or iPod Touch. It's just him confusing "I want this" with "Apple is wrong to not make this".

If you counted every single spec configuration of a product as seperate models then Apple would probably sell over 100 different Macs. But that's not how most people think of them. You would say apple has a 11" MBA, 13" MBA, etc.

When Apple announces the number of iPhones sold would they say "we sold 3 million CDMA 16GB black iPhone 4's" or do they say "we sold 20 million iPhone 4's"

If you want to be pedantic you could say "Apple sells a range of product sizes in all their categories except for the iPad" but the reality is that people tend think of products in visual differences (size, shape, etc). Apple sells 4 iPod models, but if you want to use your ridiculous logic you would have to say that Apple sells 27 iPod models... Technically yes you can argue that's correct, but it is still a ridiculous thing to say.

Last edited:

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
I'm not advancing criteria on which to differentiate products. I'm saying Piggie's criteria are inconsistent and self-serving. If things seem ludicrous when I bring out their implications that's his fault, not mine.

There are good arguments for a 7" iPad even if I disagree with them. "Apple makes iMacs in multiple screen sizes and a bunch of kinds of iPod but only 1 iPad model, tut-tut" is not one of those arguments.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Tablets are a realtively new form factor and people haven't thought out all of the ramificaitons, fully. A 17" tablet would be hard to hold, but would get great as a drawing surface (with active digitizer) or as a music ui control surface, or for textbook reading with extensive markup. Or a 3d modeling surface. The ipad represents todays concept of what a tablet is and does--but this conception will likely be expanded over the next several years, starting with the Samsung Slate 7 and Surface. The rise of full functional pro tablets seems inevitable, whether this influences the future of the ipad is harder to say

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Hopefully we will see larger and smaller iPads. An A4 size screen would be very interesting.

It may happen but not soon. I guess Apple wouldn't have come out with the mini iPad (if it actually happens) without the current market pressure. There is value for Apple in having one model because it becomes iconic in the mind of the public. If there were a range of sizes and colors, home versions, professional versions and student versions it would be a mess. This is a brand new category Apple is trying to establish. At some point they'll feel comfortable about adding a few versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.