Why Airport Base Station? Just Enable Internet Share..?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by legaleye3000, May 19, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

With the internet sharing feature, can't I just hook one of my computers up directly to a cable modem and share the internet in system preferences?

Thanks

2. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Besides needing to have the computer on, are there any disadvantages of doing it this way? Can only one other computer connect to the "connected" computer?

3. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

What you are doing when you do that, is creating a small Wi-Fi network using your AirPort card. Anyone withing range can share this connection. I have done this a couple of times on vacation - plug my BlackBook into the ethernet and share the connection with the kids ( can't go a single day w/o Facebook) and their MacBooks. Worked with my 12"PB also. not a lot of range so I would not worry too much about security.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Setup on other devices can be a little more complicated. I was doing this with my Wii and it worked but I had to input very specific settings. I think multiple devices can connect, but I never really tested it. Also security was limited to WEP. Ultimately, a router is a lot more convenient, but internet sharing is certainly a viable method.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I did for sometime since there was no wireless router..just conencted off my macbook (PCs' and another mac)...the problem is security..you kind of leave the access point open.

The security is not as good as the WPA/WPA2 on the AEBSn itself.
    It tends to get rather hot too if having 2 or more connections.

just save the hassle and get a decent Wireless Router (ie; AEBSn) or even an Express comes in handy too.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Whatever computer you'll be sharing the internet with will also need to be on 24/7

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Can you use Internet sharing as a range extender if it is also gettng he Internet wirelessly and not directly connected?