Why all the camera rants?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Nov 21, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I love the camera on my iPhone 3G!!! It's amazing! In daylight it takes amazingly great quality photos for a phone! It's not the best thing in the world, but no phone camera is. I really don't get all the "it's a crap 2 megapixel camera so it's rubbish" rants!

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

my voyager has a 2mp camera and does take a lot better pictures than the iphone.
    it isnt crap its just not as good as many want it to be or when compared to other phones classified in the same price range.

3. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I actually like the iPhone camera as well. It may not be perfect but I always have it with me which is a lot more than I can say for my other digital cameras.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

People will complain about the camera until it rivals SLRs. If you haven't been around much, you'll notice that people will ALWAYS find something to complain about. They never take time to realize what all the iPhone DOES have.

There's no other phone with an iPod (an "mp3 player" isn't the same). The BlackBerry Storm leaves of WiFi of all things. No other mobile browser is as good as Safari. The whole OS is about as simple yet effective as you will get on a mobile phone. Every other touchscreen phone maker has basically copied Apple's design and changed the application icons. They are improving their products while Apple is innovating theirs.

I wouldn't hate a better camera, but I'd prefer a 32GB model and/or an expansion card slot before a camera improvement.

5. arubinst macrumors 6502

It seems pretty obvious that you have never seen the quality of pictures and video captured by a Nokia N95 8GB (the phone I used to have before my iPhone).

You get to see that and you will clearly understand why some people say that "it's a crap 2 megapixel camera"...

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

You have my vote for expansion card slot and 32GB over a better camera.

7. ibsheks macrumors newbie

my nokia E71 had a 3.2mp camera, it wasnt bad but for some odd reason
    i tink d iphone's camera is beta, wit the 3.2mp autofocus, flash & alll it was crappy in dark places & at nite

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I can understand how people might be disappointed, but by the same token if you want good pictures use a real camera because no cell phone camera is going to be good. I don't know, I guess I'm just of the opinion that a camera takes the best pictures - and a cellphone is just for capturing funny moments. To be honest, I find that when you always take pictures of things through your cellphone camera you end up missing life anyway - how many times has a moment been ruined because you couldn't capture it? Why not just enjoy the moment and let it live on in your mind instead of trying to preserve every waking instance of existence. Photos should be a special thing, not an archive of your life minute by minute. Put down the cellphone and live your life!

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

that was me who ranted

and yes the iPhone has a piece of crap camera

This is coming from my previous use of a 3 year old K750, and a much newer and better K800i

If you really think that the iphone with its

-2 mp sensor
    - lack of flash
    - lack of auto focus
    - Lack of lens cover
    - Lack of any options

is a great camera... then there's a magical rock I want to sell you that can keep away tigers.

The fist picture was taken with my k750i, second one with k800i . In both cases I chose pictures that would have been damn near to impossible to capture with the iPhone ( im using extreme examples to show how weak the iPhone camera really is )

Attached Files:

• 750.jpg
      750.jpg
      File size:
      136.7 KB
      Views:
    • k800i.jpg
      k800i.jpg
      File size:
      229.4 KB
      Views:
  10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i dont know much about cameras and lenses but im pretty sure its not all about the mega pixels just like its not all about the clock speed for CPUs. mega pixel size has become mainstream and thats all consumers talk about. ive heard the iPhone takes a pretty good picture for 2 mega pixels.

11. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, I dont have much to compare to as far as camera phones go. I do know the iPhone camera is ok in daylight. It's a PIA how u have to take a picture with it and low light isn't very good, but then again, it's not a digital camera and it doesnt have a Carl Zeiss lens like the Nokia N95 has. I am not familiar with the K750 or K800i (I dont even know what kind of phone it has).

However, as always, when you compare pics side by side with another make or model, you're going to see differences.

Sure, the iPhone camera need improving but honestly, how often do we take pictures on the phone? I rather see copy and paste functionality. I dont believe Apple put an emphasis on the camera on purpose They shouldve put a LOT more emphasis on the functionality of the iPhone's other features that most people use and are prevalent in all phones nowadays, not just smart phones.

Beaching for sake of beaching isn't cool, IMO.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

It doesn't matter whether it sucks or is hecka good. My question, is it THAT important and how often do you use it?

13. w00master macrumors 65816

I think a lot of people are wanting more control over the camera. It would be nice if Apple allowed this in the SDK, but as of right now they don't. Just being able to have more control over the camera would bring an ENORMOUS improvement in the picture quality. Additionally, a flash would be nice. :)

No one is expecting SLR quality photos, but because you have your iPhone with you at all times and not your camera, it would be nice to have SOME control over what you are shooting.

I still don't get why Apple doesn't allow app writers greater access to the camera. Makes no sense. Then again, A2DP still hasn't been enabled on bluetooth, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. :confused:

w00master

14. KT322 macrumors newbie

It's a lot better than the camera on a BlackBerry Curve.

15. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

This is true.

I agree with the guy who said people won't stop complaining, I have been here for a long time and people are always complaining about what it dosent have. If they didn't want a phone that dosent have a over 9000 megapixel camera and built in lazer, they shouldn't have bought one!

16. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

agreed so you know what buy another phone like i did i basically gave up on the iphone because by the time they will give us something that we want the g5 powerbook will come im not against you its just im tired of people complaining really i was there too just buy another phone and use both or make the iphone a ipod touch

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Apple spends a lot of extra money and makes the camera 5MP and a lot clearer with a flash and lens cover. All of the extra stuff forces Apple to raise the price $50/phone.

"WHAT THE CRAP APPLE? A MORE EXPENSIVE PHONE BECAUSE OF A STUPID CAMERA?"

18. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Truer words have never been spoken on MR :D

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Even though I was part of the mob, similar thing happened when Apple added 3G and GPS to the phone, making it more expensive to buy standalone and over the long run (with the more expensive AT&T plan). I was really more angered at the whole "it costs less! it costs less!" preaching from Jobs when AT&T upping the rate was kind of just whispered. One of the main reasons I'm still on the EDGE model.

I do wish Apple would put copy & paste and MMS on there just so 90 percent of the whinos would go away.

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

The issue really is that the camera on the iPhone is worse than cameras of very old phones. It is a cheap add on, almost an after thought and done only to say look look we have a camera too.

The camera in my old phone which I got in 2006 was much better in terms of quality of image and the ability to take closeups and in dark conditions.

Seeing as the camera is always around it would be nice if it could take some pictures. I often find myself in a position where I need to take a picture of something and only have my phone so I am stuck with using the rubbish camera.

They could've easily updated the camera to slightly newer old technology and made a big improvement however it was just a cost cutting exercise.

Yes people will always complain but considering the very basic nature of the camera in the phone and lack of updates it really is very dated tachnology and is worthy of a complaint. It almost feels like a deliberate way to cripple the phone however there is no iPhone Pro for them to try and upsell to.

21. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

I agree, but do remember the SE K800i is pushed as a camera phone, with it's Cyber-Shot magic, whereas the iPhone has never pushed that agenda.

22. milani macrumors 68000

milani

LOL. You're going to buy another phone and carry two phones around because the second phone has a better camera? Just buy a real camera, for God's sake! Unbelievable.

23. svndmvn Guest

[​IMG] you don't find the subject sharp enough, the colours not good enough?
    there are also some darker pictures that are not bad at all in the iPhone photo of the day thread.

24. billandy macrumors regular

i used to have a nokia n95 and wandered around the nokia forums, same rants from the same bunch of noobs. they all thought it replaces their sony 5.0 megapixel camera, but still mobile phone is a mobile phone, its lens even though is made by zeiss still can't be compared to standard digital cameras, not to mention slr

25. Aurial macrumors 6502

For my two pence worth, I too came from the N95 to the iPhone, and have to say that the camera is the biggest dissapointment to me.

I've had plenty of two megapixel cameras over the years, several windows mobiles, the SE K750, K800, P990i, etc. I have to say that the iPhone is the worst I've had.

My main issues with it are regarding the poor refresh rate of the screen/lens. I find that unless I hold it completely still or if anyone is moving in the shot then it comes out very blurry.

I agree with the comment above about the SE's (except the P990i) being marketted as camera specific phones, however the N95 was marketed as a Multimedia Computer, which I think is the iPhones marketing strategy also.

It's a real shame to me because I thought at the time that I could live with the 2MP camera, but it turned out to be worse than I thought it would be. I used to take lots and lots of photos on days/nights out and used to post a lot to facebook, etc. I find myself now not even bothering to reach into my pocket for my phone because I know how disappointed I'd be with the results. I haven't posted a photo to facebook since June! What does that say?

I totally agree with the notion that the camera was an afterthought. It wouldn't have killed them to put in some scene options, etc. Even a day/night mode. I can't think of another mobile with such limited options in the camera app.