Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I came here wanting to post pretty much what the OP put in this thread.

My thoughts were, if this new iPhone 4s DID in fact have a different body (say, the teardrop side profile shape) and perhaps a larger screen, making it truly a new phone and had called it the iPhone 5 (with JUST those two differences from the announced 4S), I feel many complainers would be all onboard with the new phone and loving the upgrade.

As for me, I am still on the fence as to whether or not get the 4S.
I have a 3GS that is VERY slow with the present iO/S on it (4.3.3), but I am not at all a fan of the shape of the 4S...I love the rounded-edge form factor of the 3G/3Gs rather than the boxy 4 and 4S. Just cannot stand the feel of it in my hand. I have large hands and feel like I am about to drop it. Time will tell if I upgrade or wait until Christmas 2012 (which is when the next one comes out I figure)

Mike

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Disappointment that there are now two tiers of customers to Apple:

Those on the even-year upgrade cycle who get new products.
Those on the odd-year upgrade cycle who get old products.

The latter of those two get stuck every other year watching cool new stuff come out and having to wait a year to buy it.
There must be 3 tiers because I upgrade each year at the upgrade price :)

mohrt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
drew0020, you can't make people like mohrt understand. People like him will buy anything Apple comes up with. :rolleyes:

The brain is such a powerful tool right? It'll make you believe whatever you put your mind to, even making sense out of Apple releasing an underwhelming product.

And it's people like you that make sweeping generalizations about others whom you know nothing about. I guess I don't need to feed the trolls either. I disagree on the 4S being underwhelming, it is only underwhelming in the fact that it was not labeled as 5. The whole point of this thread.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
People thought they were gonna get something along the lines of Jennifer Aniston and ended up with something closer to Joan Rivers.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
drew0020, you can't make people like mohrt understand. People like him will buy anything Apple comes up with. :rolleyes:

The brain is such a powerful tool right? It'll make you believe whatever you put your mind to, even making sense out of Apple releasing an underwhelming product.

Or you know, maybe they have different priorities than you? And what the 4S offers is what they are looking for?

I know I for one don't think it's a bad upgrade. And no, it's not aimed at 4 owners (I as a 4 owner realize this). But personally, it addressed the two things I wanted to see improved about my 4, processor speed and storage space. Everything else is gravy. I don't even know what they could add that I think my phone misses (I'm even happy with the 4's camera but having a better camera is certainly nice and Siri looks at least fun to toy with and potentially useful. Unlike Facetime I could see myself actually using Siri enough times that it was a useful addition. And I even use Facetime a little bit but I think Google's Hangouts cause of how they are done are more used by me).

I really hate it when some one tries to cheapen some one else's opinion by stating they must be a fanboy and only like it cause it's Apple. How about they want something different out of their phone? I for one am happy the screen size didn't increase and I like my 4's shape and case so while it probably won't really help me since I bet they do redesign the next iPhone ( :( ), I think that's great! Personally, I like the glass back. If you take care of your phone, it stays nice and pretty. I do think they should have used the same glass on the back as on the front though. The plastic backs if nothing else tended to crack as tons of 3G and 3GS's had the problem of the crack coming from the data port (I've really decided Apple does ****** plastic. I had the same issue with my plastic Macbook, it's one big reason I decided to get a Pro this time) and it's almost impossible to keep it from getting scratched up.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Something to consider... reworking the iPhone 4 form factor just for a bigger screen may have been counter productive. One important objective is to keep the price down for the consumer, not add to it. Using the same form factor does just that.

I'm sure the iPhone 5 will be something completely new and different. It will likely support LTE, and maybe something like an aluminum curved backing and edge-to-edge screen, and something radical like touch-sensitive bezel/back to do something we never thought of.

Makes perfect sense. Like I said, I'm not disappointed. I have the 4, and see no real reason to move to the 4s. Unless something happens to the 4 I have, I'd go to the 4s. Otherwise, I can wait...

Type X

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
The only reason people are upset is because a "new design" means when you are on it in public people SEE you have the new one.

Thats it.

Flame on.

mohrt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Makes perfect sense. Like I said, I'm not disappointed. I have the 4, and see no real reason to move to the 4s. Unless something happens to the 4 I have, I'd go to the 4s. Otherwise, I can wait...

I'm somewhat disappointed that Siri does not work with the current 4 hardware. The Siri app works on it fine, so why not? I'm sure one of the first jailbreaks will be enabling Siri on the 4 hardware, even if it does not work ideally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.