Why all the hate for "iPad mini"!?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aPple nErd, Aug 24, 2012.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

why does everyone talk so negative about this rumored tablet? just want to know. i mean if you dont want it, dont buy it! IMO

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It would seem there is a segment of our population that would find this size of table attractive.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because Steve Jobs once said that was too small. Apparently anything that contradicts something he once said is heresy. :apple:

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    That, and just because Apple hasn't announced it yet. After its announced everybody will say how great it is and what a good idea it was. It may take a few months for the iPad mini haters to warm up to it, but they will.

Now I'm not saying everyone will want one for themselves, but it'll be a big success and everybody will acknowledge it as a viable option.

Personally I think the 7.85 iPad will be perfect

5. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Psychology/Neurobiology ... whatever you want to call it -- it's the just way all too many peoples heads work.

Take what ZBoater said, and add in peoples ego attachment to their possessions (my iPad is the besetest, most wonderfulest tablet ever possible...), and I think you have the bulk of it.

6. chleuasme macrumors 6502

Some do not dislike the idea of a smaller tablet than the iPad, and are even on the market for that, but dislike the simplistic and short-sighted rumored 7.85" presented as the speculated iPad mini.

:D

7. sgtjiggy macrumors newbie

I work with android and apple products all day long. I've recently been using an 8" Motorola xyboard and and very impressed by it. Love the size. I have a Galaxy 10.1 at home which i also like very much, but its no ipad. I will be purchasing a 7 or 8" ipad if it is offered. I will also be first in line for the iphone 5!:beer:;) I am a tech junkie. Period.

8. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

How can you hate something that doesn't exist?

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Not everyone ... I will for sure have a look on the screen; if its better compared to iPad 1 I will get one. As the pixel might be smaller i expect the screen will be great for reading kindle etc.

10. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i mean, im a big jobs fan, actually, you could say that tim cook is NOT my favorite cel by FAR! but, i still think that apple needs to compete with the fire, and nook, and nexus 7.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I believe you have sadly hit the nail smack on the head there.
    If Steve Jobs said it was rubbish, then a fair proportion of fans here simply have to think the same, and that's the end of it.

12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Originally, I thought it was a very bad idea. An iPad 'mini' is too big to fit in your pocket, and if you have to carry some device around in a case you might as well carry one with a decent sized screen that's easier to use/work on. As such, a 7" screen kind of falls between two stools.

I think an iPad mini could appeal to one big demographic - children. A smaller, lighter iPad would be more comfortable for them to use/play on. For instance, if you're playing games which have the controls at the bottom left & right corners, the existing iPad isn't the easiest for young children with small hands to hold by its bottom corners.

There are probably a lot of other, 'vertical' applications where a smaller, lighter would also be suited; though for me I'll always go for a bigger screen, all else being equal. I have to say I like the (rumoured) design of the iPad mini though.

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It will be interesting to see how many people who love the idea of an iPad mini embrace it at $399 for 32g and no retina display.

If they do come out with one, it will cost more than the iPod touch, not less.... Right now the 32g iPod touch is $299 and the 32g iPad is $599. A mini will be somewhere in the middle.

Those who think they will get a $99 competitor to the Kindle will be greatly disappointed.

Apple does not sell low margin products, and won't start now.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The 7" tablet market is fundamentally a low margin market. Apple's other products are either on par with (iPad & iPhone) competitors' prices, or slightly higher (Macs).

The only reason the price inflation works with Macs is because computers generally don't have fixed price points, whereas tablets and phones (of the same caliber) are almost always $600, $700, and $800.

15. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

I for one can't wait to pick one up and will be getting rid of my 3rd gen iPad for it.....if only the mini had a retina screen, would be 'my' favourite apple device :p

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have a Nexus 7 and would love an iPad mini. I can hold & read the Nexus 7 with one hand. The size makes it very easy to carry around. I'll be first in line for an iPad mini.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm not sure I'll need one. I have an iPod touch, iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I'm not sure it will fill any need and will not be big enough to surf and game but too big to be as portable as my iPhone.
    That said I will probably just try one out in store to check it out. I'm not a hater though. Its a matter of choice. If it fits your need buy one. If not stick with one of the alternatives out there, either iOS or otherwise.
    I bet the case manufacturers are happy though!

18. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I'm not saying no to it

Given my recent Apple purchase history and attempts.

I can see where it will be wonderful for certain content, but I don't think I can go smaller than the traditional iPad for comic book reading and web surfing, as those are the things I do most with my iPad 3.

I'll wait and see, but I will probably be delighted by the darn thing if I can enjoy those two things on a smaller screen. :D

19. Glockron macrumors member

Personally, i think the the iPad mini is a wonderful idea. I've never liked the current iPads, I've found them too big to carry everywhere I go, and too small to be able to replace a computer. It's been in the weird greyzone where it just isn't functional.

The iPad mini makes the move to being a lot more portable. You can really take it everywhere you go judging by the dimensions - and with the size bezels being slimmed down it'll be a lot more aesthetically pleasing. The HUGE bezels on the iPad have been a huge turn-off for me.

I'm looking forward to see what sacrifices are to be made for the iPad mini. As it is a big deal smaller - will we see a decrease in performance? Battery life?

If it's the same (or close to it) with a smaller screen - I'll definitely get it. And I don't buy every Apple product. Not a fanboy. I'm just saying the Mini looks impressive

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I don't hate or dislike any Apple products. I only HATE/dislike all Android products! :apple:

21. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

It's the exact same reason so many are against a pen-like stylus. Actually, it's pretty sad.

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Not entirely. If Jobs had never said anything that could be interpreted in any way as for or against it, there would still be detractors. Look at all the hate (pre and post launch) for the rMBP. Look at all the hate poured on the upcoming iPhone for either not keeping the existing screen size or not increasing it enough.

23. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Not True. The iphone is $100-$200 more than other flagships phones (Look at the unsubsidized prices, not the contract pricing) and the iPad is also generally more expensive than other full size tablets or offer less memory than similarly priced tablets. I don't buy apple selling a $199 tablet, especially since the only way amazon and google could get to that price point is by selling them at cost. I would say anywhere between $299-$399, depending how much apple wants to dominate the market or profit.

24. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

The people who hate on the iPad mini are the same people who already own an iPad and who actually want an iPad mini but can't justify buying one. Therefore to validate their decision they force themselves to hate it. I bet more people would be happier of it came out with the new iPad version 4 instead of 7 months after people bought their iPad generation 3.

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Haters are not as prevalent as they were one year ago. Now that it's rather obvious Apple is building one they've flip flopped so as to Be Cool & Accepted.

Only the die yards still hate, and they're proud of it. One has to be awfully narrow minded & angry to hate.