Carrier Why am I eligible to upgrade while I just got iPhone 5s last year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mghostsoft, Sep 10, 2014.

1. mghostsoft macrumors member

mghostsoft

I am in a family plan of 5 lines. 4 of them were upgraded to iPhone 5s as soon as it became available, with a new 2-year contract.

However, when I checked upgrade eligibility on both apple.com and att.com, they both say that ALL 5 lines are eligible to upgrade to new iPhone at the price of new 2-year agreement (e.g. iPhone 6 16GB for $199). Dialing *639# from these lines also confirmed the same thing.

Now I am more worried than feeling lucky as I'm not sure if something bad will happen (such as I am forced to pay extra fees to AT&T if they discovered this issue) if I go ahead and purchase iPhone 6 at this price when the previous 2-year contract has only been fulfilled for less than one year. If it were only the business of Apple then I would get the deal confidently but AT&T isn't a company I can trust.

Does anyone encountered similar situation? Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Deguello macrumors 6502

Did you switch to Next?

AT&T wiped those contracts as long as you bought before 2/1 or some date like that.

3. mghostsoft thread starter macrumors member

mghostsoft

No. None of the lines has switched to Next.

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Do you have some sort of special FAN account or something?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't ask, just do it:D
    There's always glitches in the system.

6. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

AT&T lowered the payments if switching to MSVP but they didn't change the contract completion and upgrade eligibility dates.

7. mghostsoft thread starter macrumors member

mghostsoft

Actually yes - I am in AMAZON COMMUNICATIONS INC FAN but this isn't stated as one of the benefits of this FAN.

8. Deguello macrumors 6502

Yeah, they absolutely did. My daughters got an iPhone and a Windows phone in May, 2013 and my iPhone 5's two years won't be up for a couple more days.

As soon as we switched, all three phones were eligible for subsidized upgrades or a new Next purchase. I thought this was common knowledge.

9. Tayloner macrumors newbie

Who knows. You're lucky. Both me and my wife bought 5S on launch day with 2 new year contracts, and we're not eligible for even a partial upgrade ($200 off full price) until September 21st, 9 days after preorder.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Huh. We switched to MSVP on March 2014 and our contract and eligibility dates didn't change. I'm eligible for NEXT but not the full subsidy with a 2-year contract.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So you do get the 200 bucks off if you wait? Do you have AT&T? I do and I ordered the 5s also on launch but I don't see the partial upgrade price when I look online.

12. Deguello macrumors 6502

Even if it's just Next, they're letting you upgrade without fulfilling the existing two year contract(s). I presume you're getting the service discount just as if you had brought your own phone rather than the $15/25 higher service price that subsidized phones require.

13. Tayloner macrumors newbie

Yes, it shows a price of $649 for me as of September 21st for the 64GB 6 Plus, which is what I want. And yes, I have AT&T.

14. mghostsoft thread starter macrumors member

mghostsoft

I think you should have $200 discount after one year of last purchase. Have you checked on this page: https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjects/IPACustomer.woa/wa/IPAToolAction/springboard

But I don't suggest taking advantage of it anyway - you'll get an additional $250 off if you wait for one more year. I'll recommend you buying an unlocked phone every other year if you want to upgrade your phone every year.

15. Mac'nCheese, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014

Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Ok thanks. I have $649 for the 64gb plus right now. I thought that was the full price. I guess that's the partial price. What site/store do you buy the unlocked phones from? I never did that, unlocked simply means it works on att or sprint or whatever, right?

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I know. The discounts are actually making me hesitate to upgrade. We have 2 iPhone 5 and 2 iPhone 5s on our account and we pretty much don't have to repay 6 months worth of subsidy on the 5 and 18 months worth of subsidy on the 5s. If I ever do upgrade, I'm definitely going with Next or buy outright since I'm getting the $25 per line discount.

AT&T definitely didn't change the contract and subsidized upgrade eligibility dates for us, though. Might be a glitch in the system for those whose 2-year contract upgrade changed? Because from their press release (and I've read all the fine print I can find), they're allowing early Next upgrades without contract fulfillment but not the full subsidies.

17. mghostsoft thread starter macrumors member

mghostsoft

Unlocked iPhone will not be available as soon as new iPhone becomes on sale, they usually be available about 3 month later (last year it was 11/22 for iPhone 5s).

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Thanks again. Last questions: Are the unlocked the same price as a locked phone without any discounts or more/less?

19. terraphantm macrumors 68040

That's odd. I bought my 5S in February (I wanted to wait, but my 4S broke), and I'm already eligible for a partial discount.

20. Deguello macrumors 6502

I have no explanation. My 5, for example, isn't two until the 21st... but I can get the subsidized price on another phone right now and have been able to since we switched. Very weird.

21. mghostsoft thread starter macrumors member

mghostsoft

The unlocked price should be $450 + the price with 2-year agreement. It is also the same as the T-mobile contract-free version.

22. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Could always buy the T-Mobile contract-free. That's unlocked, too.

23. jallenclark macrumors regular

I may be wrong but I believe your bill will jump up a lot when you upgrade. When you switch to the new plan with shared data you received a special pricing of $15 per line. If you renew a 2 year contract this will jump to $40 which is the normal pricing. If you wish to keep the $15 a line you will need to pay full price or use next. I have been reading a lot on the plans with ATT to figure this out and I am fairly certain this will happen to you. So you bill will jump up $25 bucks a line for each line you upgrade to a new 2 year contract.

24. mghostsoft thread starter macrumors member

mghostsoft

Thank you for this info. I've been sticking on the old national plan with individual data. Each additional line has been $10 and it has never changed.

25. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I have the same situation. I called AT&T last night to ask about it and they confirmed it.