Why am I getting everyone's Google+ notifications sent to my phone???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Jul 26, 2011.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

It's bad enough when every so often I get a stray facebook notification sent to my phone despite *repeatedly* having to go in to facebook and turn them off. It never fails, every so often either they add a new category of notification with the default set to send it to my phone, or one category somehow reverses its notification setting and turns on and I get it on my iPhone. Also doesn't help that the facebook notifications sent to my phone have a link to unsubscribe/turn them off from my phone directly, but it actually doesn't work and you have to access it on a real computer and manually go into settings and turn it off, again.

But as if that wasn't bad enough, now I'm getting everyone's Google+ status garbage sent to my phone, and I'm not even on Google+ nor have any plan to be. WTF? It too has an unsubscribe link in the notification email it sends to my phone, so I tried to unsubscribe from all Google+ junk, and it made me log in with my gmail account, and then was forcing me to set up a google profile before I could continue so I stopped and am apparently stuck getting everyone's notifications from a site I have zero affiliation with, what's the deal with that?

Why do all these social networking sites think that it's just absolutely imperative to make sure everyone knows at all times about everyone else's trite personal stuff like workout photos or status updates about menial crap like it's an emergency? This is not the kind of crap I need clogging up my phone email. If I want to see someone's status, I'll go look for it myself on a computer; I don't need it posted to my phone instantly by default and have to go search for how to get it to stop.

Sorry but social networking updates just aren't. that. important.

How do I get this google crap to quit being sent to my phone? ugh

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Go through your Google+ settings and turn off e-mail notifications, obviously.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

You missed this italicized text, obviously:

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

How are the notifications being sent to your phone? SMS? Email?

5. norrismantooth, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  6. norrismantooth macrumors regular

You are affiliated because your email address shows in your friend's contact lists. They want you to join Google+.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Google assumes you want to sign up and are just giving you a taste of the joys of Google+

sorry Google sucks

8. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

Email.

So does that mean my email has been manually added to their contact lists by my friends or is google automatically putting my email in their contact lists somehow just since I have a gmail account? FTR it's not sending the emails to my google account and forwarding to my phone, it's sending them directly to my phone's email address on my service provider.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I suspect your info is already in your friends' address & contact lists, and google has automatically loaded their info into their google+ accounts......since your friends can't imagine you wouldn't want to see their workout photos and status updates, they've probably told google to send their highly interesting updates to EVERYBODY on their contact lists.......or maybe some of them have specifically identified just you for these exciting updates :eek:

Quite possiblely you'll have to contact each of your offending friends and tell them to edit you or your info out of their lists

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

This is bizarre....

I have Facebook, and have never...not once, not ever...gotten a notification on my phone. There is no new setting that they set up that somehow automatically signs you up for them, or else you would think I would have gotten at least one, right?

I also have tried out Google+. Same thing...I have not ever gotten a notification, even though I never even went to the settings.

It appears to me that you have set up something wrong somewhere.