Why am I getting these Ads?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by sohaloh, Oct 21, 2012.

1. sohaloh macrumors regular

I don't understand why im getting these ads on iOS. They arent part of an app, occasionally when I unlock my iphone there is a huge ad on a black screen with a green dismiss button below. When I press dismiss it takes me to the home screen. I didn't think ad's would be so intrusive that they would be part of the OS showing all over the place. Besides that I do have 115 applications on my phone maybe that installed something. Please help!

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

There is no way to tell which app is displaying the ad. Maybe take and post a screen shot.
    iOS does not display ads, so it has to be an app you installed.

3. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I would try narrowing it down by looking at what apps are in the multitasking bar when it happens.

4. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Your phone isn't jailbroken by any chance is it?

5. maxsquared macrumors regular

6. SunnyStudioNeo macrumors regular

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

100% likely since iOS6 does not have ads :D

8. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

Im also assuming its a notification that's showing.

If that's the case, the notification should state what app it is related to, so you can simply go to the notification centre in the settings and turn off notifications for the app that's bothering you. Or tweak the settings for what is permitted to be shown for that app.

9. squall101403 macrumors newbie

I think it is from the carrier. My prepaid iPhone 4S also gets a big screen notification with a dismiss button after making a call. It tells me how much credits is left after making the call

10. Nothlit macrumors regular

Yes, I think this is the correct answer. It's known as a "flash" or "class 0" SMS. Not sure whether it's from the carrier, or if your carrier's network has a vulnerability that is letting unscrupulous people send spam in this fashion.

Here's an image:
    [​IMG]

11. sohaloh thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. Yes you're right it was some random advertising company sending out FLASH SMS's. Thanks for the help. Now lol, I wonder how im going to get rid of it. They message from random numbers, so blocking it wont work. I wouldnt mind if they weren't so intrusive. I usually get normal sms promotional messages. Thanks again.