why am I getting this error?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by benji888, Sep 25, 2012.

1. benji888
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

benji888

hey, I now have an iphone 5 and am trying to clear out my old 3Gs and updated it to iOS 6, but saw it had my phone number there, so I took out the sim (it already has been deactivated), did a reset everything, connect to itunes and now I get the following message, and can do absolutely nothing:

"There is no SIM card installed in the iPhone you are attempting to activate. Please disconnect and insert a SIM card in the iPhone."

I thought you could use this as an iPod touch without the SIM? Why are they demanding I put the SIM card in it? I don't recall this being an issue w/iPhone 3G.

(I have already cut the SIM card :()

2. benji888
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

Hello?

Anyone?
    :confused:

If I missed something when I tried searching, could someone direct me?

3. nippyjun
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

I needs to have the old sim in there to use it as an ipod. Any old sim that is deactivated will do.

4. benji888
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68000

benji888

really? but the iPhone 3G worked as an iPod touch without the sim in it. ...Although, maybe I took the sim out last, I can't recall for sure. (And I did not try to sync it after this.)

Problem is, I already cut the sim, I don't have another. I wanted to take pics of it in ipod touch mode to sell it, but now I can't. ugh. :(