Why am I having trouble using the gps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nightshift1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Nightshift1 macrumors newbie

2. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

You didn't wait!!

Tomorrow they release the Touch with GPS.
    Then you can use it.

...well, that's what a lot of people HOPE for.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Are you not getting a blue pin? If not, it hasn't acquired enough sattellites to get a fix. I've found that sometimes I have to wait a while before I get a fix particularly if I don't have a very clear view of the sky. Try it in serveral different places and see if it won't get a fix. You may have to wait 3-4 minutes for it to actually show up if you don't have good coverage, ie trees or buildings.

If that doesn't work you may have a faulty GPS receiver. If this is the case you will need to take it back to Apple or call tech support.

4. Nightshift1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought the maps icon is the gps because the guy at the job has an iphone and he can track himself on it. Can we do that too?

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

6. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Disregard my last post I didn't realize this was an iPod Touch thread. That's what I get for looking at most recent forum posts. My apologies.

7. Nightshift1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It works at home but not at work. the other dudes iphone does work at the job though and he can also search the net. How do I get the gps to track my movement

8. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iPhone 3G has built-in GPS. iPod Touch does not. . . . . . . . . . . . . . yet.

10. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

The iPod Touch doesn't have GPS. It does have a 'locating' feature, but it does it by determining what wireless (wi-fi) access points are in the vicinity, then comparing those against a database of known access points (Skyhook) and triangulating to roughly determine its position. The Touch doesn't need to actually access the wi-fi sources to 'see' them, but it does need actual internet access through one of them to query the database and update the map. The difference between your Touch and the other guy's iPhone is that he has a full time data connection -- you don't. If his iPhone is the 3G variety, he also has actual GPS built in -- you don't.