Why am I not getting the subsidized iPhone price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brett3rThanU, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

Last year I bought the iPhone 3G on July 11th, the first day it went on sale. I was only 1 year into my contract so I had to pay the $499 price and of course sign another 2 year contract. I know I'm only 1 year into that "new" 2 year contract I signed last year, but why can't I get the subsidized price for the new iPhone? It's not like I got a discount the first time around and have to "pay" it back to AT&T before I can get another subsidy. What's the deal?

2. JohnFa macrumors regular

Because you get the subsidized price when you renew your contract or sign a new contract. You signed on for a two-year contract while one year in on your own which means you're not eligible for a subsidy. Simple as that.

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

You are not getting the subsidized price this year for the exact same reason that you didnt get it last year. You have to be out of contract in order to get the subsidized price.

4. fonz500 macrumors member

i am not sure if that's true.. i have only been in contract for 18 months and it says i am eligible for the cheaper pricing.

5. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Depending upon how much you pay for your plan, and whether or not you've kept up on your payments....AT&T will allow you to upgrade before your contact ends (usually right at 18 months actually). Good news for you.

6. southerndoc macrumors 6502a

southerndoc

When I purchased from AT&T online, I was told my contract would be extended even if I'm not getting a subsidized price. (Just upgraded my first-gen iPhone to the 3G in Feb.)