Why am I not seeing Apple Watch as backup?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thecore762, Oct 13, 2018.

1. thecore762 macrumors 6502

hey guys, I’m new to the whole Apple Watch thing, I got an iPhone max xs and the new Apple Watch 4 44mm SS, but I don’t see where and how it backs up in iCloud. I’d hate to lose data.
    I’m so lost...

2. yaboid01 macrumors newbie

If you backed up your old iPhone via iCloud then restored your XS Max from that same iCloud backup you should see it as a selection from your list of backups in the Watch app. They’re listed by date. Same with iTunes backups.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Also since you are new to Apple Watch and I think what you are asking. The Apple Watch syncs and sends its data to your iPhone. All of the Apple Watch data is integrated into the iPhone backup. So there is no separate Watch backup in iCloud or iTunes.

4. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

When you unpair your watch from the phone it backs up the watch to the phone. Then when you make a backup of the phone, phone and watch data are backed up. When you then re-pair watch with phone it will ask if you want to set watch up as new or restore from backup. If this is your first apple watch there won't be any watch data to restore.

5. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Turn on "Health" in iCloud sync on your phone. That's the majority of your watch data as far as activity, achecivements, heart rate, etc...
    If something goes wrong, you would have that in the cloud even if something happened to your backup.

6. cornerexit macrumors 6502

Thanks for this. I have a quick question for one of you experts. My S4 shows up Tuesday. So tomorrow I’ll back my phone up again (do it once a month) into iTunes. So when getting my new watch, just turn the old one off, connect new watch to phone and it should ask me to use previous backup of some sorts and installl anything/everything? If that is correct I was planning on turning off Bluetooth after th new watch is done, turn off Bluetooth on phone, then find a setting in the S2 watch to factory default so I can send it in for the exchange?

7. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Unpair you old watch. This will do the 2 things you are asking.
    1, it will create a backup of the watch on your phone.
    2. It will erase the watch.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Also if you want a complete backup, make sure you pick the “encrypted” backup. It will move all your health data and even passwords.

9. cornerexit macrumors 6502

Thank you.