Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I did a 'restore as new from itunes' the other day, and I've noticed that I'm being prompted to 'sign in to icloud' at a few random times sinc then. The last time this happened was when I entered my text mesaging app. I just ignore it, either pressing cancel or going about my business.

Why is this happening and how do I stop it? I'm using an iphone 6 and 8.1.2, and do use icloud to backup things.

Thanks for any insights.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
It's sometimes related to FaceTime or iMessage. Try going to those in the settings (not iCloud settings, the ones specifically for FaceTime and iMessage) and log out then back in. See if that fixes it.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
It's sometimes related to FaceTime or iMessage. Try going to those in the settings (not iCloud settings, the ones specifically for FaceTime and iMessage) and log out then back in. See if that fixes it.

I have imessage off. I also don't see anywhere to "log out" of Facetime, which I don't think I've used yet. I do see under "settings>facetime" a place to sign IN, so perhaps I will try that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why not just sign in when it comes up instead of ignoring it as that would likely make it go away for good?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Why am I prompted for my icloud password?

If OP has same issue as I had, the login prompt will still keep coming up even after entering info.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
OP: Just remembered one other place to try logging out/logging back in: App Store app. Go to the App Store app, scroll to bottom,click login, log out, the log back in.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
These prompts happen to me on various devices and usually annoy me because I've just turned on a device to find out what time it is, or to do something that should be equally simple but instead turns into a WHAT? HUH? WHAT FOR? experience.

Why doesn't Apple say WHY it wants one to sign in? Not only that, people with one Apple ID for iCloud and another for iTunes purchases may not know which one is being requested. Putting the wrong one in turns an annoying experience into one that lasts two or three times as long!

Anyway with the unexplained login requests these days, my first thought is what if it's a bogus ask? My second thought is life is too short to worry about that when not even mega-banks, mega-stores or mega-movie-studios have seemed to care. But I wish the requests would be more like "Please log into iCloud (for Notes sync)" etc.

We buy these devices to help us out, not annoy hell out of us by asking for logins and passwords without an explanation. I bet even Apple employees have submitted feedback to Apple about this! But in case not... I have done so. :)

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
If OP has same issue as I had, the login prompt will still keep coming up even after entering info.

Because it doesn't away, it pops up half a dozen times per day.

OP: Just remembered one other place to try logging out/logging back in: App Store app. Go to the App Store app, scroll to bottom,click login, log out, the log back in.

These prompts happen to me on various devices and usually annoy me because I've just turned on a device to find out what time it is, or to do something that should be equally simple but instead turns into a WHAT? HUH? WHAT FOR? experience.

Why doesn't Apple say WHY it wants one to sign in? Not only that, people with one Apple ID for iCloud and another for iTunes purchases may not know which one is being requested. Putting the wrong one in turns an annoying experience into one that lasts two or three times as long!

Anyway with the unexplained login requests these days, my first thought is what if it's a bogus ask? My second thought is life is too short to worry about that when not even mega-banks, mega-stores or mega-movie-studios have seemed to care. But I wish the requests would be more like "Please log into iCloud (for Notes sync)" etc.

We buy these devices to help us out, not annoy hell out of us by asking for logins and passwords without an explanation. I bet even Apple employees have submitted feedback to Apple about this! But in case not... I have done so. :)

Sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem. And there's no obvious solution. Very troubling…

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Its not. You'll get it sorted. I had it happening, went through the steps I mentioned, hasn't happened since.

Veuxtres

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2014
I happened this before, I accidentally solve it by login Icloud again and I found the problem is because of the capital letter. Hope this help

Log out from icloud, reboot the device and login again
"MAKE SURE" there's no capital letter on login ID.

Surprisingly It solve the problem I had on:
Airdrop :can't detect my macbook pro, and "everyone" in airdrop is not working

Continuity : not working most of the time, after login again it gets much better( it still happen sometimes but very rare, I just log out and in again will solve this problem.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Did the various suggestions. Thanks. Will see if it comes back again...:eek:

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Today I tried to save a phone number while adding a new contact -- and was prompted for my 'yahoo' email password! What the….?

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Are your contacts synced with yahoo?

Occasionally the iPhone can simply forget the credentials. For some reason my gmail failed to send an email as it claimed my password was wrong! My first thought was I'd been hacked but the iPhone was just having a senior moment! Reapplied the creds and all ok. :)

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Are your contacts synced with yahoo?

Occasionally the iPhone can simply forget the credentials. For some reason my gmail failed to send an email as it claimed my password was wrong! My first thought was I'd been hacked but the iPhone was just having a senior moment! Reapplied the creds and all ok. :)

I'm not sure if they're synced. If they are, it's not intentional. I just ignored the prompt and finished adding the contact.

One of the reasons I got the iphone was to avoid such glitches and 'senior moments'. I could have gotten android if I wanted that. I was hoping for the "it just works" experience, which I had for the most part with iphone 4, but the 6 is lot more wonky.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I'm not sure if they're synced. If they are, it's not intentional. I just ignored the prompt and finished adding the contact.

One of the reasons I got the iphone was to avoid such glitches and 'senior moments'. I could have gotten android if I wanted that. I was hoping for the "it just works" experience, which I had for the most part with iphone 4, but the 6 is lot more wonky.

Apple hasn't gotten around to connecting your Apple ID to your fingerprint nor realizing that iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud and their other services use the same password so they shouldn't have to ask you for those separately (might just be a mac thing).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Do you happen to have two- step authentication enabled? If so, any app that uses your iCloud account password needs a specific app generated password. Otherwise, the app will keep asking for the password if you just enter the regular iCloud password.

As to yahoo email asking for password sometimes, that happens to me out of the blue. Sometimes, I can exit out of it, and it will go away. Other times, I have to input the password. It doesn't happen a lot. Maybe it is some kind of iOS bug? It seemed to be worse for me in iOS 7.

Paddy1166

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
If anyone can help I will be happy.
The App Store App and the iTunes Store Apps on my new iPhone6 home screen will not allow me to access either of these stores.
After clicking either icon, a message comes up:
"Cannot connect to iTunes Store"
& "Cannot connect to App Store".
No such problem occurs on my iPad mini
or on my MacBook Pro !
Even more annoying, when using my iPhone6 to visit
ITunes website, I am refused browsing or purchase
(The same "cannot connect" message comes up !!)
Using my iPad mini and MacBook I can browse and purchase iTunes items without problem.
Also on my iPhone6 I have (re) verified my iTunes account and Credit Card details, which are all correct, and are the same details I use on my Apple other devices.
The iPhone6 is the only device causing me grief in this regard, and is functioning normally in all other respects.
Can any folk please help!
Best regards,
paddy1166

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Why am I prompted for my icloud password?

What you could do is log onto yahoo online and check if contacts are there. Personally I'd export those contacts to a vcf file and import into iCloud that at you have your backups and contacts in one, simple when/if restoring from a backup in future. You can so this by going into contacts in iCloud and selecting the settings cog. There will be an option to import vcf file there. I saved mine to a memory stick and then did the import.

Last edited:

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Apple hasn't gotten around to connecting your Apple ID to your fingerprint nor realizing that iMessage, FaceTime, iCloud and their other services use the same password so they shouldn't have to ask you for those separately (might just be a mac thing).

So it's just a glitch with no solution for the time being?

Do you happen to have two- step authentication enabled? If so, any app that uses your iCloud account password needs a specific app generated password. Otherwise, the app will keep asking for the password if you just enter the regular iCloud password.

As to yahoo email asking for password sometimes, that happens to me out of the blue. Sometimes, I can exit out of it, and it will go away. Other times, I have to input the password. It doesn't happen a lot. Maybe it is some kind of iOS bug? It seemed to be worse for me in iOS 7.

Yahoo email isn't asking for my Yahoo password. I'm being asked for my yahoo password at other odd times, like when I'm entering a new contact's info. I can just ignore it and go about my business, which seems strange too.

Don't know anything about two-step authentication.

What you could do is log onto yahoo online and check if contacts are there. Personally I'd export those contacts to a vcf file and import into iCloud that at you have your backups and contacts in one, simple when/if restoring from a backup in future. You can so this by going into contacts in iCloud and selecting the settings cog. There will be an option to import vcf file there. I saved mine to a memory stick and then did the import.

I have my contacts backed up on icloud, and also possibly with Verizon back up system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.