Why am I seeing multiple Applications folders?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GanChan, Feb 3, 2009.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

This is probably a really stupid question -- which makes me the perfect guy to ask it. :D

When I open my Finder, inside my Applications folder I see...an Applications folder. And an "Applications copy" folder. All full of the same applications. Am I just seeing multiple mirrors of one Applications folder, or did I actually somehow duplicate all my applications?

Thanks.

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like so.

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      70.3 KB
      Views:
  4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You have created alias's to your Applications folder (see the little arrows on the icon)

These are shortcuts and can be deleted safely.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because you have an alias to the Applications folder in the Applications folder.

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

yeah, delete the two apps folders at the top level (all the way to the left) You also have a broken alias at the top of your finder window (the question mark) you can apple+drag that off the window to get rid of it.

7. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. cybersleuth58 macrumors newbie

Multiple copies of my Applications folder

Like the previous poster, i have multiple copies of my apps folder, too. I think I have 8... 7 of them have the tiny arrow in the corner... If I read that correctly they are aliases that I can delete safely without causing an apocalypse level disaster??? I am really humiliated to ask such an asinine question... Thank you!!

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

yes- the ones with the arrows only! are just aliases. delete away.

10. HrbourCacher macrumors newbie

Application Folders with arrows

I have the same issue as others have mentioned with a twist.

I have Application folders in many other folders. (I wonder why???) The folder name has a arrow indicating that it is an alias, but the files in the folder do not have arrows.

Can I safely remove these directories?

11. Detrius macrumors 68000

If it has an arrow, it's an alias--not a directory. There is nothing inside of it. What you see is the original files at the destination the alias points to. The "folder" with the arrow can be deleted because it contains no actual information. Don't delete the stuff "inside" it.

12. oliomedia macrumors newbie

Multiple applications folders

I've got the same problem, Applications>Applications>Applications except that none of them are aliases!

The most deeply nested folder went to Trash (with all its contents), and emptied from Trash. The middle folder (one level down from the main Apps folder) will go to trash but will not empty from trash - neither will any of the items in it, not even one at a time. I get "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)."

I've repaired permissions and verified the startup disk.

Help please.

13. jackrv macrumors 6502

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

First, make sure that the first one in the "chain" has everything in it that should be there. Then rename the one inside of it to something random and try dragging it to the Trash.