Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
This is probably a really stupid question -- which makes me the perfect guy to ask it. :D

When I open my Finder, inside my Applications folder I see...an Applications folder. And an "Applications copy" folder. All full of the same applications. Am I just seeing multiple mirrors of one Applications folder, or did I actually somehow duplicate all my applications?

Thanks.

GanChan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2005
Like so.

Attachments

• scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 295

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Because you have an alias to the Applications folder in the Applications folder.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
yeah, delete the two apps folders at the top level (all the way to the left) You also have a broken alias at the top of your finder window (the question mark) you can apple+drag that off the window to get rid of it.

cybersleuth58

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
Multiple copies of my Applications folder

This is probably a really stupid question -- which makes me the perfect guy to ask it. :D

When I open my Finder, inside my Applications folder I see...an Applications folder. And an "Applications copy" folder. All full of the same applications. Am I just seeing multiple mirrors of one Applications folder, or did I actually somehow duplicate all my applications?

Thanks.

Like the previous poster, i have multiple copies of my apps folder, too. I think I have 8... 7 of them have the tiny arrow in the corner... If I read that correctly they are aliases that I can delete safely without causing an apocalypse level disaster??? I am really humiliated to ask such an asinine question... Thank you!!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Like the previous poster, i have multiple copies of my apps folder, too. I think I have 8... 7 of them have the tiny arrow in the corner... If I read that correctly they are aliases that I can delete safely without causing an apocalypse level disaster??? I am really humiliated to ask such an asinine question... Thank you!!

yes- the ones with the arrows only! are just aliases. delete away.

HrbourCacher

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Application Folders with arrows

I have the same issue as others have mentioned with a twist.

I have Application folders in many other folders. (I wonder why???) The folder name has a arrow indicating that it is an alias, but the files in the folder do not have arrows.

Can I safely remove these directories?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
I have the same issue as others have mentioned with a twist.

I have Application folders in many other folders. (I wonder why???) The folder name has a arrow indicating that it is an alias, but the files in the folder do not have arrows.

Can I safely remove these directories?

If it has an arrow, it's an alias--not a directory. There is nothing inside of it. What you see is the original files at the destination the alias points to. The "folder" with the arrow can be deleted because it contains no actual information. Don't delete the stuff "inside" it.

oliomedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2007
Multiple applications folders

I've got the same problem, Applications>Applications>Applications except that none of them are aliases!

The most deeply nested folder went to Trash (with all its contents), and emptied from Trash. The middle folder (one level down from the main Apps folder) will go to trash but will not empty from trash - neither will any of the items in it, not even one at a time. I get "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8003)."

I've repaired permissions and verified the startup disk.

Help please.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
First, make sure that the first one in the "chain" has everything in it that should be there. Then rename the one inside of it to something random and try dragging it to the Trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.