Why Am I Stuck With iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nadav, May 16, 2009.

1. Nadav macrumors regular

Recently, a few of my friends have switched over to Songbird, and I am really tempted to use the program now. I have my own reasons for switching, and I really would prefer it if people did not tell me that iTunes has all the features i need, etc. Why does Apple force me to use iTunes? I love my iPod touch, but I'm beginning to see that there are other programs, such as Songbird, that suit my needs, unlike iTunes. Does anybody know if Apple will get rid of this restriction any time soon?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

You are not stuck; you have to choice to use Songbirf if you choose. However in buying an iPod, what you seek is compatibility, and in that regard it would be up to the makers of Songbird to ensure syncing capability. Its the same if you would buy another media player that doesn't drag-and-drop and limits you to syncing with, say, windows media, or even proprietary management software.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know the feeling

i wish i could sync movies from a folder NOT in itunes

i have looked into doubletwist and it seems pretty promising imo

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Well, I just found iTunes to be way better than Songbird. No reason to change.

5. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

Apple will also link their software and hardware together. They have and always will go hand-in-hand. Just like you can't get a OS X Leopard disk and legally install it on a PC, you can't get an iPod and use a different software on it.

I think Apple does this to ensure quality for their software and hardware. If you were using another program with your iPod Apple could not guarantee it's quality, which may reflect on the quality of the iPod itself.

It's not just the iPod that makes the iPod work so great and seamless, it's the software too.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

glad you like itunes but that is really not the point of this thread

it would be nice if apple didnt force one to use itunes with ipods and what not

7. Nadav thread starter macrumors regular

The whole software and hardware argument makes sense, except for the fact that Apple only restricts the newer iPods. One of my friends has a 3G iPod, and it easily syncs with Songbird, he has experienced no problems as of yet. I don't want to break the law and find a way how to use my iPod with Songbird, so I think I might just buy a used iPod video from eBay soon.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

9. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Nice for you, but not for them. In doing that they have to make it multi compatible, offer support for that multi compatibility and then release a billion updates each time one of those "programs" you want to use changes in a way that is detrimental to the running of the iPod (or whatever device).

Using their own in house software (and extreemly powerful software, it's not like iTunes is a crap app put together in the last five minutes of development) ensures the least amount of problems and vastly increases reliability.

They can't please everyone, but you're in a minority of people, most people don't even consider using anything other than iTunes, let alone wanting too.

10. iEvolution macrumors 65816

1) You aren't stuck
    2) If you use play lists/smart play lists iTunes is the best option

11. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I swear, I think about 75% of this forum thinks Apple is the law.

12. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I know people that have reformatted their iPods to run different software. they also used something other than iTunes. It is in no way breaking the law. The law comes in to play with the actual media. As in pirating music and video. You can do what you want with the hardware.

Personally, I like the user experience that Apple brings. I think it is easy to use and I can get it to do anything I really want it to do. But that is my opinion and what works for me.

Good luck though.

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I keep movies on an external disk - i hold the option key down when dropping the files into iTunes. They don't import - just reference them.... those then sync just fine the kids 3g Nano's.

This isn't what you are trying to do??

14. slothrob macrumors 6502

I just did a quick search and found quite a few alternatives to iTunes. Perhaps they don't work with every model, but isn't that up to the programers to write them to work with your model, not up to Apple to "allow" you to use another program?

15. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I agree. I love the integration of it all.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

wow you are awesome!

thanks a bunch:)

17. Nadav thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know why I said law, I meant warranty. It would just be nice if Apple wasn't so anti-competition at times, it would be really nice to be able to easily use another program without reformatting anything.

18. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I find iTunes to be "bloated" like many do, but the convenience of syncing my Apple TV (which is acting wonky since the 10.5.7 update this week), iPod Touch & iPhone keeps me from even looking at anything else. Really, other than slow start-ups (relatively speaking), I don't mind iTunes at all..

19. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I also keep my movies on an external. I tried holding the option key down but it still copied the movie into iTunes. I just synced it then deleted it. More annoying than anything...I will have to try it again though.

20. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Here is the topic name in iTunes help (because i have no clue if it is different on a Windows based machine. I'll attach a shot of the Mac help screen.

Adding items to your library without copying them to your iTunes folder

What you are looking for (on the Mac) is to NOT get the green plus circle when you drop it on the library. It does do something to the file - that might appear as if it's being added, but if you check the "get info" on the file it will show the proper file location on the external. I keep the music on the kids computer on the computer drive, but there is no way there is room for the movies.

hopefully that helps!

Attached Files:

21. JCastro macrumors 6502a

That is what I thought I did. I will go back and try it again next time I am adding a movie. Thanks for looking that up for me!

22. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

No problem - i know i had a hard time finding it the first time i went looking for it!

I also thought that it was importing something the other day - it still "processes" them (showing a progress bar up in the timeline area - no idea what that is called!), but a check of the get info showed it really was on the external. One of them i even threw out of the library because i *knew* it had imported because it was processing it slow. It hadn't - the computer was just being slow.

I'd be in trouble if i couldn't have the movies off the regular disk... might have to gasp, put a bigger drive in the computer for the rug rats! LOL!!

23. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

Apple is anti-competitive because its a business... That being said, I wish I had something with as pretty or prettier interface to use because iTunes is a
    process/memory hog and it chugs along when trying to load 5000 songs. I also wish i had something that played .avi files outside vlc (if only it could index the movies it would be perfect)

Sorry if I don't make any sense. I'm super sick and just woke up.