Why and how does my Mac have Opera?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBook08, Dec 25, 2008.

1. MacBook08 macrumors regular

This is really odd. Occasionally when I open a torrent file, instead of Transmission (default) opening, Opera opens the torrent. How can that be? I don't have Opera. I've never installed Opera. I never thought about installing Opera. The crazy thing about it is it works (it loads up websites) but when I search for it in AppCleaner and in Spotlight, it's nowhere to be found. How is that possible? How can a program that I never installed be working on my computer?

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

next time opera opens, keep it in your dock and close it. Then click it while holding the command:apple:key. It will open a finder window and show you where its hidden.

3. MacBook08 thread starter macrumors regular

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I think when you install Xcode, it will part of it.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

WHY:confused:

6. Serge N Gin macrumors member

Serge N Gin

If you have CS3, then check:

Applications ~> Adobe Bridge CS3 ~> Bridge CS3 ~> Contents ~> MacOS ~> Opera
    Opera is installed as part of CS3 and is apparently used by Adobe Bridge.

If anything, you should be able to set whichever web browser you normally use as the default browser ....

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you could also simply double click on the app while in the dock aswell :)

8. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

I think it installs when you install adobe photoshop cs4 extended. i just installed it and i got opera 9.2 and 9.27 which are really old versions. i was freaking out for a minute too.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This.

Adobe Bridge requires it and installs it automatically. Uninstalling can break Bridge.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

The fix is simple.

Associate .torrents with Transmission.

Get info on a .torrent, go to the "Open With" section, pick transmission and click "Change All." Done.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Ha, that's funny. This reminds me of why I abandoned all of Adobe's bloated products in my Windows days. What's an install of CS4 take these days... 12GB with no less than 30,000 files? What version is Acrobat on...21?

:D

Ok, what was this thread about again?

12. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Unfortunately there isn't a real viable alternative to most of Adobe's products. Nothing stands up to photoshop (gimp the main alternative doesn't even come close).

And Lightroom is just right for non destructive editing.

13. JasNature macrumors newbie

i don't see why having opera on your system would cause you to freak out or worry... i currently use Opera 10.0 on my mac along with safari and FF depending on what i am doing on the internet... Opera 10.0 is actually pretty fast and clean as a web browser and has been around for a long time... check it out and use it and u might just like it :)

14. kasakka macrumors 65816

The problem is that the browser is crammed inside another program with no indication that it is even installed. Not to mention I think there are several versions that are old and Adobe's updater most likely doesn't update them.

The only reason why it's there is apparently to show how webpages would look on mobile browsers when using Device Central. At least they didn't try to reinvent the wheel by making their own hacky effort for a web browser but Opera should never show up anywhere other than where Adobe's programs use it if it has not been installed by the user as a separate browser. It seems this isn't the case.

Adobe should probably change their entire developer teams considering they haven't churned out anything but buggy, ****** programs in the last few years.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have CS3 or CS4 installed on your mac, then you now have Opera, since adobe installs that for its own purposes.