Why Apple can't make www.icloud.com accessible for iOS devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by EdgardasB, Aug 10, 2014.

1. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Hello. This summer I had vacations in Europe. I have faced up with serious issue. Using cellular in abroad cost a lot of money so I was stuck with local WiFi spots. Hotel had open WiFi spot however seems that they were blocking pop3 port like all other places and iOS mail app didn't work. Couldn't get or send emails. I need to login via website to my email account and there check and send emails. But I haven't took my MBA so with my iPad and iPhone I couldn't check my main email account because www.icloud.com doesn't work for iOS devices...
    It is strange that Apple still didn't made www.icloud.com available for iPhone or iPad.

What do you think? Why Apple can't make their own website accessible for iOS devices?

2. kmj2318, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

They probably figured that using iCloud.com on the iPhone was a minor use case, and it didn't justify spending time on it.

Edit: You could install Chrome and choose "Request Desktop Site" and see what that does.

3. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

I think people have mentioned that with ios 8 you can request desktop site and it should work as you want too. Not sure about iPhone but on ipad people with the beta said if you request desktop site on icloud.com you will see the website as if you are using the PC. I might be wrong here as I haven't got the beta myself.

4. EdgardasB thread starter macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Thanks. I'm also not using beta so will need to wait for public. And for Chrome browser- won't use ever, prefer only default apps even if they aren't perfect :)

5. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

I tried that few days ago on my iPhone and I couldn't scroll right or down to see the rest of the icons

6. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

Since when do hotel WiFi hotspots block pop3?

7. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

You are welcome. I prefer safari as well just for the integration stuff and it's look and speed.

8. EdgardasB thread starter macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

In most visited hotels, airports open WiFi was blocking IMAP/POP3. Also it may be running on an Automatic Proxy which will block certain things. Can't say why but maybe for security purposes. So with blocked IMAP/POP3 mail application doesn't work

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Maybe they want you to purchase "extended" WiFi which I've seen in several places - that allowed access to things that standard WiFi didn't

10. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I can confirm request desktop site works but you cannot scroll around the page unfortunately.

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The reason is that apple wants and expects devices to just use the built in apps. That is how the system was designed.

That some hotel or whatever is blocking email servers isn't an apple issue. It's the hotel being asshats. And idiots when you think about it. There's likely a lot less traffic getting emails than dealing with web pages and all the ads etc most of them also load

12. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Wow really? 99.9% of the time I use ZERO of the default apps. I use no apps made by Apple for anything on iOS, except I guess AppStore to get better apps than anything Apple makes... and Settings too but I don't know if that counts.

13. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Weird.

I would miss all the cross-platform integration that's built right into all those apps to even consider that. Far too much value lost by switching away from the built-ins.

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

There's similar cross platform integration built into many of the best third party apps. Pick up another device and pick up where you left off. Google Hangouts, Google Maps, CloudMagic and Opera Coast do this with far fewer bugs than the Apple equivalents, while having more features and generally being much smoother and faster and more stable overall. I also like being able to jump between iOS, Android, Windows and OS X while hardly noticing any difference except there's different ways of closing windows and terminating programs.

Unfortunately both evil Apple and evil Google have lately been buying the best third party apps to try to keep us all from eventually going to Open Platforms but that's what oligopolies do. Our government is supposed to protect us from BS like that but that's politics and I kinda give up now it just seems hopeless.

15. EdgardasB thread starter macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

I have Mac, iPhone and iPad so using Safari as browser because of integration, iCloud sync, better rendering and smoother experience. I prefer minimalism, I don't have tons of installed apps duplicating each other like Chrome, Safari, Opera browsers in same device...skype, whatsapp, viber, handout and etc. Long time ago I have also had a lot of apps but noticed that it is decreasing my productivity so now firstly using default apps then if it is needed 3rd party ;)

16. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Ah I see your point of view. Maybe I'll try that someday.

17. Skika macrumors 68030

The only benefit of this would be if you are borrowing an iOS device from someone and want to check into your iCloud stuff for reminders, mail, whatever.

But chances are, you already have that an iOS device with since they are so portable.

18. EdgardasB thread starter macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Still, new and more available features are welcome :) you never know when you would need this and when it comes- you are busted ;)

19. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

I'm all for people using what they like and what works for them. I'm glad you have a configuration that you like. :) The reason most people don't do what you do, however, are multiple.

Google Hangouts: requires a google+ account on both ends for maximum functionality. Requires using their crappy interface on OS X machines. No thank you.

Google Maps: a decent alternative to the built in maps app. I do like having street view as an option. I still find myself using the built in maps app more frequently, though. The vector nature of the maps means when I lose signal (I live in the mountains, very rural), my maps app still has a very large range I can drive through and still have maps available. I also like that I can bring up a location/route/etc using the OS X Maps app and have that synced to my iDevices natively. Out of all the alternatives mentioned, this is the one that provides the most comparable experience.

Opera Coast: no tabs -- uses 'tiles' to keep track of favorite websites instead, or a separate tab-like interface on recently visited sites. Recently-visited only synced to other iDevices, but not actual computers (eg. macbook pro, etc). Number of favorite tiles limited to a 3x4 grid, recently-visited limited to 7 (really? yes): newer visited sites pop off older sites. For my usage patterns, recently-visited (instead of tabs) websites is useless. I keep lots of tabs open for sites I go back to frequently (right now on my phone I have 15 open tabs, and instant access to several dozen more from my macbook pro, mac pro, and iPad). I don't want those pushed off the end of some queue just because I visit a lot of other sites in the interim. Bookmarks are not a satisfactory replacement for tabs, either. With Safari, my open tabs are synced across all my Apple devices, iDevices and OS X devices. Opera Coast is an interesting attempt at a browser, but far too limited in important areas.

CloudMagic: I'm having a hard time finding something this does, that I want, that I can't already do in a similar fashion with the built in Mail app. I already manage half a dozen email accounts from a variety of different services, can do searches across all my inboxes, etc. As well, the upcoming Mail Drop feature of iOS (and OS X) mail is another extremely compelling feature to the built int Mail system.

In a nutshell, that's why most people use the built in apps. They provide the majority of the functionality the majority of people need and provide a great native cross platform (iPhone/iPad/OS X) integration. In order to even come close to that using third party apps, you have to install a slew of extra apps, in some cases create extra accounts with different providers, use different interfaces on different devices, and still get a substandard set of functionality in many cases. The pain level involved is just not worth the lateral (or even down) shift in experience.