Why Apple couldn't (shouldn't) include USB-A

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WolfSnap, Nov 5, 2016.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Apple is incredibly influential. By adding USB-C ports, Apple will have the industry supporting USB-C en masse. BUT, if Apple had included even a single USB-A port, the industry would have seen that USB-A was still an option -- and stuck with it.

MacBook Pro's only use USB-C -- guess we need USB-C supported hardware. USB-C is probably a bit more expensive to support; and, therefore, wouldn't be anyone's first option.

If Apple had even a single USB-A port, everyone would have continued with business as usual. Also, the rabble on MR would have just bitched that there was only one USB-A port.

There's been Thunderbolt connections for YEARS -- but, next to the TB2 connection was a USB3.0 port. Hardly anyone supported the TB2. TB2 is MUCH better than USB3, way faster, works over 100's of feet (optically), etc.. But, no one supported it -- and why bother? There's a USB port millimeters away.

This time, Apple wanted to be SURE that they could put the nail into USB-A. They just simply removed it. Like the Floppy before it, and the CD/DVD too, the old USB port is dead.

Apple's done us a huge favor. They've helped move the goal posts to where they should be. Yeah, it's painful right now, but in a year or two, USB-A will be a distant memory. Thank goodness.

2. David58117 macrumors 65816

And they've increased the price.

Which will surely help propagate the new technology and put it in more hands...

3. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Masocism Tango.

4. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

They increase the price always when it's been redesigned. This isn't without precedent.

5. GBlansten macrumors regular

GBlansten

Stockholm syndrome??

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Apple not including a USB A port doesn't kill off USB A for anyone but them. Not including a floppy drive in iMac didn't kill the floppy, and omitting optical drives for the last couple years certainly hasn't killed off optical media. Same goes for ADDING something like FireWire, eSATA & Thunderbolt didn't suddenly replace USB. Killing USB A is going to take a LONG time since the VAST majority of the industry still uses it. Don't be surprised to see most keyboards, mice, flash drives and other devices connecting through the A port.

7. David58117 macrumors 65816

That was when retina/the air was new. USBc isn't.

Your argument is they are trying to push forth usbc adoption - which raising the price for doesn't make sense.

8. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

On the original iMac the floppy was essentially a manditory option. The cdrom was a cdrom not a cdrom-r or cdrom-rw.

9. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

100$ more for a comparable 15" doesn't seem like the biggest deal on earth, right? (p.s. please do a valid comparison to the M370X equipped 2015 rMBP, not to the one with iGPU)

10. AdonisSMU, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Apple did the right thing tbqh. Usbc is technologically superior in every way to Usba. Don't include the cruft. Let people decide what ports the actually need and use the dongles provided. Don't force everyone to stick with legacy when most have no use for it or are perfectly fine to move on with the times.

Some of the stuff self proclaimed pros are clammorning for dont even provide a material benefit if there is any benefit at all for the vast majority of Mac users. Its just the self proclaimed pros spec whoring and not acknowledging the engineering trade-offs that would've had to be made in this machine and were made in other machines.

These same "pros" think simply putting in a bigger battery will automatically mean better battery life...when any engineer with any experience at all knows changing one thing can have implications for many other parts in the system.

11. andrewbee, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016

andrewbee macrumors newbie

If Apple from the onset decided to show there support by adding one or two dongles into their retail packaging, say USB-C to USB A because they felt that it would be beneficial to easing the transition, especially since you believe there decisions weren't purely profit driven but a 'forward thinking approach', maybe the price hike might have been easier to digest and before you say why should they?

You need to understand the type of company you are defending.

This maybe a different category, but let's look at the Google pixel as an example. This is a phone with a usb-c connector and that is poised to be a direct competition to the Iphone 7 and even though it is priced closer to that of the Iphone 7, this is what you get in the box:

Skip 3:00mins into the video

USB C to USB C cable
    USB C to USB A adaptor
    USB C mouthed charging adaptor
    USB C TO USB A CABLE

What do you get in an iPhone 7? If they were so forward thinking like you have argued here, perhaps leaving a port on their newest computers to connect their phones to might have made this argument less irritating

What connection ports did thunderbolt 1 and 2 have. They were variations of the mini display port. Incase you have forgotten, Apple had some kind of exclusivity with intel and that has really hindered the adoption of the technology.
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/11/02/24/intel_details_thunderbolt_as_exclusive_to_apple_until_2012
    http://www.geek.com/apple/thunderbo...-until-2012-will-anyone-care-by-then-1318727/

USB C ISNT THUNDERBOLT! Its the adopted connector for TB3 due to its ubiquity and versatility.

[​IMG]

12. aoaaron macrumors 6502

So much wrong here.

I know trying to make sense and defend apple given their track record over the past decade or two feels like a reflex but what they've done with the new MBP is illustrate how of out touch they are with the professional market.

Their products are edging way more towards the casual/aesthetic rather than professional/quality. When I was in university 7 years ago a MBP was a phenomenal piece of machinery which could do most of anything other than gaming and makes your life easier. This new iteration is different. Tim's vision is different to Jobs and I've realised this now. I fell in love with Steve Job's apple, not this one.

The handling of the macbook lines has been a mess (macbook / macbook air / macbook pro) and iPad (iPad mini iPad iPad air iPad pro).

13. Macalway macrumors 68020

Another Apple apologist.

So your saying basically; tough love.

As we go kicking and screaming, Apple makes the future.

14. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

"
    Why Apple couldn't (shouldn't) include USB-A"

Couldn't? Familiar with laws of physics? Did someone pass a law?

15. Capt T macrumors 6502a

More like an Apple realist than apologist.

It is the way it has always been...either it works for you or it doesn't...

16. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

It will be a rough transition though, but you're totally right.

People call themselves Apple fans/followers/etc yet they don't seem to look at how Apple has priced things over the last few decades, can someone please remind me how much did the first iPod cost? Wasn't it $399 at 5GB? and that was the device that revolutionized the music industry, which nobody gave it that credit at the time...

Obviously it doesn't kill it, but it does make too many companies shuffle their feathers and work their a** off to produce USB-C ready products. So what Apple actually does is accelerate the process of transition. Whether it be a rough or soft transition, Apple gives it a push.

The new technology that Apple is charging for is not only USB-C, but it's also the touch bar, the new chassis design, the keyboard (like it or not, it's new), screen, trackpad, etc...

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Steve Jobs Apple did exactly the same thing repeatedly. Steve Jobs is the one responsible for tying Apple to Intel's timetable for processor releases. Their products aren't casual. Apple has always wanted aesthetically pleasing devices. That hasn't changed under Tim Cook at all. In fact Tim Cook's execution for the MBP has been flawless TBQH.

Apple is a business and they aren't going to let Christmas go buy without an update to a product if they have one. I'd rather Apple spend time to get their product right then to rush something out for competitions sake then have it blow up in their faces. Apple usually trickles advancements from the mac to the iphone and vice versa when it makes sense to.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2016 ---
    I have to stop you right there because there wasn't a price hike. The price adjusted for inflation is almost dollar for dollar the same price as the 2012 15" rMBP was when it was released. In fact according to my rough calculations the new rMBP is actually a few dollars cheaper than the 2012 rMBP was when it came out.

18. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

Matter of opinion. Respectfully disagree.

19. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

A bigger battery does mean better battery life. Take any item you have, any, and increase the battery capacity, I bet it lasts longer.

20. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

there's no better way to propagate new technology than to make sure your best selling product doesn't come with the required cable in the box.

although... i wonder how people will feel when apple only comes with a usb-c cable for the iphone next year.

21. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Do you want to know the fundamental different between Steve Jobs and Tim Cook?

Jobs was a visionary CEO.

Cook is an execution CEO.

22. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I've had my adapter for a year and a half already. The first chance I can get rid of it or not carry it with me its gone. I will say that I agree that they should have a charging bricks that works with the lightening to USBC adapter.

23. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

By that metric why didn't the 2013 Mac Pro, (that’s the pinnacle of their Pro machines right - even though it doesn't feel like it), include TB ports ONLY.
    That’s right, no headphone, no ethernet, No USB3, no Mic and no HDMI.

24. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

at the same time, people forget all the changes apple made that didn't work during the steve jobs era. i think the biggest difference is steve was better at selling things to us than tim cook or phil. both are horrendous at communication.

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I don't think Phil is a bad communicator. I just think he's not technically as sound as Steve Jobs was and I also think he is not as prepared when he speaks. TBQH for the purposes of the Apple Events I think Tim is better behind the scenes and probably should limit his time on stage to opening and closing the events if not maybe choosing to let someone else who's a more engaging speaker MC the Apple Events.