Why Apple didn't go with OLED!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shabbis, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Shabbis macrumors regular

Apparently OLED screens are even worse than LCD in direct sunlight based on what I've read along with reviews of devices with OLED screens. Apple realized that people will be using their phones outside and decided to stick with what works best for all around use.

[​IMG]

versus

[​IMG]

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Is there a question? Or is it just a fact? If so, good to know.

EDIT: I guess there is no question. Its just a fact.
    Good pictures I guess. Good to know.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

But OLED is the latest buzzword at Macrumors! Thats why everyone wants it, screw the functionality.

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The Zune HD will have a pretty current OLED display in it, so we'll get a pretty good comparison of how the screen holds up to the iPod Touch after the Zune HD launches this fall.

5. Shabbis thread starter macrumors regular

Just my conjecture based on OLED technology articles and real world reviews of devices with OLED screens. I even bought into the hype of OLED before I did some quick research.

OLED does have a lot of great advantages over LCD, like better color gamut, viewing angle, contrast and lower power consumption, but something as important as being able to use the device out in bright light outweighs the advantages in my opinion.

6. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The biggest advantage of OLED displays for portable devices is that they are much, much thinner than comparable LCD displays.

The advantages are obvious, it lets the manufacturer keep the device thin (or make it thinner) while packing in more goodies.

I think that in five years (or less!) all of these devices will have some kind of OLED display.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Like a previous poster said, we'll see the most up to date OLED screen in the Zune HD. From there, we can see the real advantages/ disadvantages. I'd personally take the hinderance of less usability in bright light of it meant all those great advantages.

8. Shabbis thread starter macrumors regular

Hopefully they will fix the direct sunlight issue by then as well.

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well yes, the downfall of the OLED is that it's 100% emissive. LCD can be semi-reflective (or "transflective" as it's said) so that it can be angled in bright outdoor light and still well-visible. No such luck with OLED (at least not with current technologies, insofar as I understand).

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

LCDs have come a long way in just a few years (some of my older gadgets can't be seen in sunlight) so there is no reason why OLEDs shouldn't do so too.
    I suspect that Apple will change to an OLED at some point, but not for a year or two.

11. chox99 macrumors regular

Just like some LCDs suck balls under direct sunlight, some OLEDs will be like that. I'm sure improvement will soon follow. Until then I'm sticking with my LCD iPhone.

12. Shabbis thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, I was pointing out that Apple doesn't just throw new technologies into their devices for the sake of it being new. Usability and consumer experience are top priority, which is why so many people have chosen to spend their money on iPods/iPhones and other Apple products. I bet 90% of the iPhone users out there don't even know what OLED is.

13. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Most people want OLED because they want better battery life.
    Now with voice control who needs to look at their 3gS?

14. Narco220 macrumors regular

Me cuz the voice control sucks

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I love the new voice control feature! I can ask "What song is playing?" and it will tell me. I can also open an email message and say "Describe the picture" and it will tell me what is going on in the photograph.

16. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Maybe thats "cuz" the iPhone doesn't understand your made-up words?

17. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

What's the Nokia N00? Never heard of it. Is it new? :rolleyes:

But seriously, what's up with that?

18. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Let's wait and see if the next iPod Touch comes out with OLED.

Zune is no competition, at least not yet, but Apple doesn't want to be seen too far behind in specs.

If the new iPod has OLED this fall, then chances are next year's new iPhone will have OLED as well.

19. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Is there a precedent for the Touch out-teching the iPhone in anything apart from capacity? Such a leap with the Touch would put a lot of people off getting an iPhone until the next refresh.

20. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Well, there is Nike+, if that counts.

And I'm going to say this again. Why is there a picture of a Nokia N00? That doesn't exist.

21. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i believe thats a prototype n85.