Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v2club

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
That's pretty much my question: Why Apple doesn't support NTFS?

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

Because NTFS is owned by Microsoft and Microsoft doesn’t license it to anybody for their OS. The same reason Microsoft doesn’t support HFS+. It’s not technically legal to add support for it without a license and NTFS is not easy to reverse-engineer either.

Apple has to pay a lot of money to do that and the return on investments like that are low, not worth doing it.

Apple did add a read-only support for NTFS external drives.

If you want to add read/write support to your Mac, you can use a third party drivers to do that.

coopiklaani

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
UK
Because NTFS is owned by Microsoft and Microsoft doesn’t license it to anybody for their OS. The same reason Microsoft doesn’t support HFS+. It’s not technically legal to add support for it without a license and NTFS is not easy to reverse-engineer either.

Apple has to pay a lot of money to do that and the return on investments like that are low, not worth doing it.

Apple did add a read-only support for NTFS external drives.

If you want to add read/write support to your Mac, you can use a third party drivers to do that.

Well, but how do you explain bootcamp? does it somehow fully support NTFS?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Because they don't have too and don't want too. They already have NTFS support built into OSX, they just don't want to bring it to another level (write access).

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
If you need to write to an NTFS partition in OSX, MacDrive does the job transparently.

MacDrive is for Windows and enables HFS+ access. You need e.g. NTFS-3G on Mac.

Because they don't have too and don't want too. They already have NTFS support built into OSX, they just don't want to bring it to another level (write access).

Actually, the write support is there as well and can be enabled via Terminal. Apple was trying to add write support when SL came but they pulled it out in the final builds.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
From what I've heard, their built-in support is not that stable. I wonder if they ran into legal trouble so they just hid it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.