Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
ky8s3ZT.png

literally all I was doing, was watching this video here in fullscreen in chrome lmao

something tells me RAM isn't supposed to be 109C....

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
That isn't a problem due to the depth of the design, that's just a problem.

Never seen my RAM anywhere remotely near 109 c.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I wonder if said app is giving a false positive, or if there is really an issue. Perhaps run so OS diagnostics, and review the results...

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Thin isn't the problem. Apple should have never placed desktop components within a flat screen monitor enclosure. Microsoft's iMac design was correct with a very thin display (thinner than the iMac) and the computer components are at the base of the display with proper cooling. For an added bonus, you will have easy access to the components so it is more serviceable.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Also, don't use Chrome - that browser is a resource hog on the Mac. My wife uses it on her MacBook Air and you could fry an egg on that computer by the time she's done browsing YouTube.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For an added bonus, you will have easy access to the components so it is more serviceable.
I don't know about easy access, iFixit has the tear down, and its not as simple as I was hoping, though its easier then Apple's iMac but I get your point ;)

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
From someone who used to build computer as a hobby, from past experience software that gives the CPU temperature are inaccurate. The only way to get a true accurate reading is either through the bios or with a heat gun. I've been out of the loop for awhile, I never heard of getting measurements on memory? I must be getting old....:D In either case if the temperature is that for the memory the cpu can't be too far behind. One wouldn't think the computer would run, for in my opinion it should be a brick or it should had done an immediate shutdown for protection.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thin isn't the problem. Apple should have never placed desktop components within a flat screen monitor enclosure. Microsoft's iMac design was correct with a very thin display (thinner than the iMac) and the computer components are at the base of the display with proper cooling. For an added bonus, you will have easy access to the components so it is more serviceable.

I find the surface studio (assuming that's what you are referencing) loud underload because the fan is front and center (vents around the top lip). Isn't exactly "cool" either. At least compared to my 13 iMac.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
That is disappointing.

I don't know why they don't just watercool them, and likewise for the imac

The whole iMac thinness thing is silly anyways... it's just that thin at it's thinnest point, which is pretty much meaningless.

what really blows my mind is that they're sacrificing EVERYTHING for thinness.

Overheating, throttling and something nobody seems to talk about: GPU!

If they kept the imac the same thickness as in 2011, literally nobody would've noticed and nobody would've given a fraction of 1/5th of 1% of a damn because it's a bloody desktop for christ sake. And then BOOM, they could've stuck a desktop graphics card, like a 970, into the iMac. Easily. Everyone would've been over the moon happy with this.

But nah, screw performance, just make it thinner. Because, you know, when it's sitting on your desk and you can't even see how thick it is, it being thinner is revolutionary, and makes everything better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And to the people who are seriously telling me here "oh if it's getting that hot then clearly you bought the wrong computer" or "well you shouldn't be running XXX on it in the first place", please just stop. That's a completely stupid argument and you should probably just logoff the forum. They sell these things with desktop i7s. If you think that's intended exclusively for facebook then you're crazy.

fusionid

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
macmee,

3 imacs in a row and overheating. Yikes. Maybe time to change name to nomee.

In all seriousness overheating is a serious problem and IMHO the cause of video cards failing since they are unable to properly dissipate heat. We see these issues in 2011 imacs and on. The mac pro was completely redesigned to better manage overheating. Some people are happy with performance there.

I am sure Apple is well aware of the ongoing heat issues with iMacs. lets face, most users don't even use 50% of the CPU or GPU power so this issue is on the minority at best.

What does apple make them thinner? because again most don't challenge their computers enough for the heat to be an issue.

Reactions: v0lume4

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
macmee,

3 imacs in a row and overheating. Yikes. Maybe time to change name to nomee.

In all seriousness overheating is a serious problem and IMHO the cause of video cards failing since they are unable to properly dissipate heat. We see these issues in 2011 imacs and on. The mac pro was completely redesigned to better manage overheating. Some people are happy with performance there.

I am sure Apple is well aware of the ongoing heat issues with iMacs. lets face, most users don't even use 50% of the CPU or GPU power so this issue is on the minority at best.

What does apple make them thinner? because again most don't challenge their computers enough for the heat to be an issue.

To be an a&% for a moment, this is a terrible argument to make. It basically boils down to "you're using your computer wrong". To re-iterate, Apple sells iMacs with i7s in them. You should be able to do ANYTHING on an iMac without running the risk of damaging it. In my opinion, you absolutely cannot brush over this problem by saying "well, most people don't use 50% of the CPU etc" because it's based on the pretence that somehow iMacs are not marketed as being usable for heavy tasks. This is resoundingly false.

fusionid

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2015
No. I never said or meant to say you are using the computer wrong. I am not defending apple.

The iMac throttles down under heavy load. It over heats. The GPU is not a proper GPU for heavy tasks and may provide suboptimal performance even with regular use of 5K screen.

My point is that Apple sells iMacs like crazy because we buy them. We buy them because they work ok for what we need them for. For casual browser, email, etc they rock and are the best personal computers ever created. I bet you unsatisfied consumers are minority so why would apple change their approach?

Also chrome... got a mac use safari or firefox (that is indeed a suggestion to change the way you use your computer)

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA

That proper cooling appears to come at the cost of noticeably louder fan noise than the iMac per formal reviews, but then considering how thin the vents are on the thing and that it has three fans, this is probably not surprising.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I find the surface studio (assuming that's what you are referencing) loud underload because the fan is front and center (vents around the top lip). Isn't exactly "cool" either. At least compared to my 13 iMac.
Did you pick up a Surface Studio? If so, do you have some impressions?
--
edit: I wasn't sure if you were referring to your own Studio in your post or a review that you saw. Wanted to add that disclaimer in case you're thinking "didn't you read my post?" :p

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Not sure what you're talking about. The iMac (and certainly since the major refresh of late 2012) uses mostly mobile components, including the dGPU. The CPU's used are the i5/i7-xxxxS variants which are for "lifestyle" machines, so they have a lower TDP than their regular desktop counterparts.

Personally speaking, I've never encountered heat issues with any of my Macs and my iMac has always remained cool. In fact I don't think I've ever heard an audible sound coming from the fans!

Sam_S

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
Everywhere

Apple has done this before. The iMac G4 was like that. Steve Jobs said at the time it was a better way of doing it. However I have never had any issue with my iMacs, but don't like how they removed the CD drive just to make it thinner when it sits on my desk and takes up the same amount of room regardless.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't know why they don't just watercool them, and likewise for the imac
Apple actually had a water cool power mac back in the day, and it had leaking problems, which is something you don't want with a water cooled machine. Needless to say that experiment didn't last long

Reactions: Rmonster

macmee

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
Apple actually had a water cool power mac back in the day, and it had leaking problems, which is something you don't want with a water cooled machine. Needless to say that experiment didn't last long

That sounds unfortunate but I'm not sure what that has to do with Apple watercooling the iMac in the present day? Many big companies sell slim devices with watercooling such as Acer or Microsoft. The Surface Pro 4 has a really neat hybrid watercooled solution. If Apple wanted to, I'm sure they could do a great water cooling solution to the iMac and finally tackle loud fan noise and throttling issues we've all been complaining about for the past 10 years.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Well, and heat pipes are not too shabby at moving heat to a better location to get it out of the case either. At least in AIO/Laptop style designs. Even in desktops, the main difference is that with a pump, you just place the radiator with your exhaust fans, instead of attaching the radiator and fans to the heatsink.

Some interesting back and forth between the two approaches on Ars if folks are curious: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1309947

The iMac though, it's probably already close to optimal considering the space in the current design. The heat sinks use heat pipes to move the heat to a radiator which is right on the other side of the exhaust grill. You can see the fan, heat spreader and radiator in iFixit's teardown here: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+Teardown/30260
Image: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/KtF5YuVRiVqBUgTj.huge

A water cooled setup isn't really going to give any particular upsides, and may actually be slightly worse in this situation.

I'm going to ask a somewhat silly question here, partly because I just did it myself, despite knowing better. When I got the 2015 iMac, I decided to not remove the plastic wrapper while I did the initial setup. That turned out to be a mistake, since I had forgotten about the intake along the bottom edge of the iMac. This hampered the cooling ability and kept the fans going when nothing was really happening. Is there anything that might help block or limit the airflow coming into the iMac along the bottom edge where you have it setup?
[doublepost=1480707278][/doublepost]
That sounds unfortunate but I'm not sure what that has to do with Apple watercooling the iMac in the present day? Many big companies sell slim devices with watercooling such as Acer or Microsoft. The Surface Pro 4 has a really neat hybrid watercooled solution. If Apple wanted to, I'm sure they could do a great water cooling solution to the iMac and finally tackle loud fan noise and throttling issues we've all been complaining about for the past 10 years.

That's an interesting use of heat pipes, but they are still heat pipes.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Did you pick up a Surface Studio? If so, do you have some impressions?
--
edit: I wasn't sure if you were referring to your own Studio in your post or a review that you saw. Wanted to add that disclaimer in case you're thinking "didn't you read my post?" :p

Just used it in store. All I was doing was playing an html5 YouTube video at 4K. I was surprised to hear it considering I wasn't in the quietest environment.

BUT it was a display model blah blah. And not being an avid windows user it could have been doing something in the background like running anti virus or defragging lol (jk).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.