iPad mini Why Apple is promoting iPad mini over iPad 4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ad1815, Oct 30, 2012.

1. ad1815 macrumors member

No matter how many people dislike the iPad mini, iPad mini will sell and cannibalise iPad 4. Since iPad 4 is sold at higher price, I suppose its margin is also higher than iPad mini's. So why Apple is promoting iPad mini over iPad 4? Has anyone got any theory about it?

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Most likely because the iPad is an established device, the iPad Mini is a new device.. so they are trying to make uninformed consumers (there are a lot!) aware of it so they purchase it over Android tablets.

3. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Exactly! Since Apple is now going head to head with the 7" Kindle and Nexus devices, they're going to have to market hard and drive demand to justify the price & spec difference with the competition.

4. MacinTosh.0 macrumors member

There's no theory to figure out. It's common sense.

To the general public, the iPad 4 is still an iPad 3 in their eyes. The average joe at the moment won't even know the difference of what's different with the iPad 4. Plus, the larger iPad sells itself without a problem. It's been a success for a few years already. It's kind of like cars. The next year the manufacturer sells an updated model (think BMW model numbers). Same look with maybe some spec bumps but the average joe wouldn't know what's different.

The iPad mini is a new product that no one owns yet and Apple created the mini to go directly at the other 7 inchers. If you have a brand new product you're about to release, why wouldn't you put all your effort in to promoting it rather than promoting the already established device with spec bumps?

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I agree, they need to advertise a new product much more than a product update.

Look at how short the iPad 4 portion of the Keynote was... It only took them a few minutes to discuss the upgrades. It was a small update to the full size iPad... A significant processor bump, and the lightning adapter...

They may update it again in March, giving us a form factor update, plus more... and leave the iPad mini update for October each year. Thats my guess, but we will know in a few months.

6. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

What exactly would they promote about the iPad 4? "Hey look, we added a new connector that is incompatible with all your accessories... you'll love it!". Other than that, advertising that it is faster is not something worth worrying about. The bottom line is the only reason they updated it was to have parity with the new connector. And throwing in the processor boost was a no brainer since the iPhone 5 was now out. So this was more of what i'd call a maintenance update, then a new version of the device.

7. MacinTosh.0 macrumors member

Yep. I can't believe the OP would even ask this question.

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

In addition to what everyone else said, Apple has said at some point (Or maybe it was Jobs) that they don't care about cannibalising their own products. As long as people are deciding between an iPad, iPad Mini and Macbook Air - they don't care.

Kind of a foot in the door technique. For some the Mini could be people's first Apple product.

9. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Why would Apple promote the new 13" rMBP over the 15"? The 15" is more expensive and makes them more money, so it would make more sense to promote that one.

The mini is new. They always advertise new products harder. While this particular version of the iPad is new, it is already established and technically is being advertised as well as the big brother in the tv ad.

10. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

Because the full sized iPad is the big dog in the yard while the mini is the newcomer and needs to carve its own space.

11. 617aircav Suspended

Common sense dude. The iPad is established and has market domination.

12. ad1815 thread starter macrumors member

After reading your answers, I feel my question so stupid. :eek: