Why apple keeps being silent.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Feb 21, 2008.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Seriously,

I understand why Apple wouldn't notice consumers that they are going to upgrade a model because nobody would buy the current model, but in another way, it's kind of tricking people if for example you buy something now and in 2 weeks the new model comes out. I am waiting for the MBP upgrade because I'm moving away, i was thinking getting a macbook but afterall, i prefer the macbook pro but who knows when it will be upgraded...everybody seems to not believe in february 26th anymore...

So yeah, for example, if I buy one MBP now, can I still get a good price if they re-design the case when the new one is going to be released and stuff?

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Anyone who trades in technology has to have the realization that what you buy can be obsolete (sort of) within a matter of days. You'll never, ever be ahead of the curve.

I do believe that Apple does exploit this phenomenon somewhat by creating an "aura" around their products, however, this is also a function of all the fanboys (and fangirls) out there whipping the masses into a frenzy.

What is all boils down to is that no matter what you buy, there will be something newer, faster, nicer, whatever, coming on the market shortly after you buy yours. It's the nature of the beast.

MacDann

3. skiffx macrumors 6502a

I think with all major computer companies already having upgraded to penryn, mbpro cannot stay behind, it would be simply ridiculous for apple to fall so low...so unless you REALLY need it right now, Id wait till early march.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I have been a mac user for close to ten years now... this is the way of the company... no use trying to fight it...

5. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, you got a point but I have also read that some people believe Apple will skip Peryn and move with a new design case with Monte...

6. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Apple thinks they are doing us a favor by not telling us what the haps are.

7. skiffx macrumors 6502a

That is true, but overpaying for an already obsolete technology is just silly...if they would cut down prices on their hardware, then yes, but pay june'07 market price in almost march'08...common.

8. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Why would they skip it and wait till late summer to update their pro line laptops? Apple is a leader in the industry, not a catcher upper, and definitely not a lagger, thus for them to sell a 1+ yr old technology as their flagship laptop system would be simply silly and unprofessional, not to mention a huge revenue loss. Also Apple is trying to win market share by persuading people to switch from Windows...it would only give more ammunition to Apple critics if Apple would provide with the latest and the greatest :)

9. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

You'd think that wouldn't you. The evidence, however, seems to point to something otherwise very different.

10. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

then what are they waiting to upgrade like everybody else..anyways..it would be so much easier to tell the costumers...and offer rebates for the current models prior to releasing a new one..I just think apple does that to get as much money as possible but it's a business and I guess that's how they work.

I will wait til early march....but they have to come out in March..please...do you guys really believe they are out soon or not so much?

11. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

its smart business my friends.
    Apple says its updating the MBP in a month...sales for the current one fall through the floor b/c no one wants to buy a product they KNOW wilol be old in a matter of weeks. it just makes more sense that way to just upgrade and not tell anyone when its coming.

12. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

13. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Quoted because it's true.

You'll never be ahead, if you can manage with out now, the chances are you can afford to wait, if you can't wait then order to make your life / work simpler / easier.

Don't fall into the fanboy frenzy creating a stir and fuss over what could turn out to be a vanity upgrade with a few extra wizzy bits you might not end up wanting anyway.

14. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Not an Intel processor, no.

If history is to be judged, then Apple will release Penyrn processors soon and then update the MBP when the new Montevina platform comes out later this year. This is exactly what happened to SR. Processors first, then Apple introduced SR MBP.