Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdebnil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Very simple reason....Remember when Gizmodo first released the pictures of the "found" iphone? They mentioned that it was in camouflaged to look like an Iphone 3gs...In reality it had a early bumper design. If all the engineers were testing the phone with the bumper on, they probably never experienced a lot of the signal issues that people with naked iphones are seeing today. See the attached pic of the Gizmodo "found" phone with the "camo". Since I used to do quality control for a living, I say this is bad quality testing on Apple's part. However, I do love my iphone with the bumper on!!! No signal issues here once its on.

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Original quote from the article:

"You are looking at Apple's next iPhone. It was found lost in a bar in Redwood City, camouflaged to look like an iPhone 3GS . We got it. We disassembled it. It's the real thing, and here are all the details."

Also Gizmodo's original picture with the "camo" on. Probably a prototype bumper

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
That's part of the working theory, yep: that testing was done with the iPhone 4 inside masked cases, fake ones to disguise the actual product inside, and in the process preventing the skin-on-metal contact which is what most of us with problems truly believe is causing those same problems.

This is discussed in many threads, including the "Occam's razor" one (mine) and several others.

You're in good company with that line of thinking... :D

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
So this is going to be posted once every day then?

Really, did you not think that someone here thought of that already?

chriskzoo

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2005
Apple never releases accessories for their products (iPad case being an exception). They announced bumpers when the iPhone 4 was introduced. They knew about the problem.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Apple never releases accessories for their products (iPad case being an exception). They announced bumpers when the iPhone 4 was introduced. They knew about the problem.

But... they didn't update the software on purpose to overwhelm their tech support with bumper requests?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
But... they didn't update the software on purpose to overwhelm their tech support with bumper requests?

apple needs to grow earnings like they did before. the bumpers are pure profit. almost like going go large at a fast food joint or buying applecare or a best buy warranty.

apple just thinks they are still dealing with ifanatics that will buy anything Steve tells them and will wait around for a fix. apple needs to grow up and learn how to be a mass market company.

just like microsoft did 10 years ago

cdebnil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
So this is going to be posted once every day then?

Really, did you not think that someone here thought of that already?

Really smart A? I did a search for iphone camo, iphone reception camo, and found nothing specifically related to what I said before I posted. My point was the Gizmodo camo pic and the engineers leaving them on. Please tell me what to type in the search box to find similar posts.

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Really smart A? I did a search for iphone camo, iphone reception camo, and found nothing specifically related to what I said before I posted. My point was the Gizmodo camo pic and the engineers leaving them on. Please tell me what to type in the search box to find similar posts.
Wow, I'm so surprised that the keyword "camo" didn't give you the results you desired. :facepalm:

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007

This is Macrumors, in all honesty news and rumors start here. I just thought it would be kind of obvious that this would have been thought of by now, but I probably post here a lot more than you so....

And yes I know sometimes searching for things can be a pain in the ass if you don't word it properly.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY

:rolleyes: Incorrect. They introduced the bumper, which has rubber on the front and rear, to shield the impact of a fall that would otherwise shatter their GLASS phone.

nohite

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2008
Do you think all the testers are morons and they to a bar to test their iPhones? They can do all their testing in their own home, with no one else around, without any cases on.

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Tbh i don't buy into this theory

Maybe i'm giving Apple a little too much credit, but i doubt they would not test a new product feature such as the new Antenna system properly, yes the device Gizmodo found/bought was in a case, but thats not to say that device wasn't being used for a different test entirely which didn't require the antennas be to out. I think Apple would have had devices out without any cases on to test the reception, probaby in areas with perfect coverage tbh though

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.