Why Apple released Facetime as a Beta... and the new charge is completely reasonable.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spacehog371, Feb 24, 2011.

1. spacehog371 macrumors regular

Here's my theory...

Apple has to charge money for Facetime because of accounting requirements.

Something they didn't want to do, as they knew it would slow the adoption rate.

Extremely easy way to get around it?

Release it as a beta. Then the accounting requirements don't apply.

Everyone up until today was able to download and use facetime, so I can't imagine there are that many people out there that wanted to use it, but hadn't yet downloaded it.

Now, the beta still works. All of those people have a working copy of Facetime. (HD isn't needed since that only applies to new ones)

Conclusion: Facetime beta wasn't actually a beta at all, it was a way for Apple to give it to everyone for free.

2. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

I'll admit I was not happy when I read that Apple is charging for the Facetime app. But after the most recent rumors your take looks plausible.

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Yes yes yes- but is the new version any better?

4. spacehog371 thread starter macrumors regular

It's HD, but that is only for the new computers with HD cams... which are going to come with this installed by default anyways. I've literally not had a single problem with the Facetime beta... Frankly, I don't think it was really beta.

Has Apple ever released a beta product in the past to the general public? I really think they just put a beta label on it so they could give it away for free. They obviously couldn't get away with calling it beta when it's shipping by default on new computers.

5. Mik3F macrumors 6502

I had the beta and have bought the version from the app store. 0.59p is not going to kill anyone

6. InteriorDEV macrumors member

7. newdeal macrumors 68020

accounting reasons is BS...true its only 99 cents but that is enough to get me to not want it

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F5166b Safari/6533.18.5)

There was a bug in the beta (don't know if it's still there in the released version though as I dot have it): it couldn't see contacts in exchange address books, only local ones

9. crumb963 macrumors member

Uh...

If you can still video chat via iChat, tell me why this is a bother to some? Or is there something I'm missing about the facetime app?