Why Apple should have kept the Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hexero, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Hexero macrumors regular

When I found out that Apple had discontinued their original white Macbook, I was kind of disappointed. The Macbook has a lot of potential. It is a great computer for those new to the Mac-world. It is great for those who don't want to pay up 1500$ for a Macbook Pro and realise a PC was better for them. The Mac Mini is a cheap Mac. For stationary use. Why not make the Macbook the "new" Mini, just mobile? It would sell a lot, I'm so sure about that. Every friend of my rather buy a PC for a cheaper price, because they don't see why they should switch, when the products are that expensive.

Here is my tip:
    [​IMG]
    ..or something like this of course, but in this price-range.
    It would be like: Macbook > Air > Pro

What do you think? Come with your own opinions, and your own suggestions.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The MacBook was/is a huge seller. I am perplexed by this move. It's the single worst thing Apple has done in a while. They lost me as a customer with Mac Pro pricing. I will only buy used third party Apple desktops now. I always said I'd buy Apple plastic laptops, as they're durable and a good value. Now those are gone. They've now lost me there too.

Not sure how I'm going to fix that.

3. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry about that. I used Firebug for Firefox, but you could also just write your suggestion in text like:
    - Processor:
    - GPU:
    - RAM:
    - Price:
    etc..

I agree with your opinion. It seems like Apple want the Air to be the next "hit". I understand why, but they have to realise that it's mostly not a opportunity for people who want to switch.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I agree

I have no desire for the MBA and the MBP is quite expensive. I do not have demanding needs and the macbook fit nicely

I feel they are pricing alot of people out. I hope they bring it back, who knows what they have planned

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i think they should bring back the macbook and make it a real consumer purchase.

with the anticipation of the optical drive removal in the mbp, it would be stellar for them to offer a MacBook that would appeal to a lot of people.

something that offers mac os x, great battery life, good build quality, a good integrated gpu (nvidia 4xx/5xx M series), a choice between HDD rpm at the same price point, an internal optical drive, and good expandability.

13'' Black/White (user choice; same price) Polycarbonate Unibody MacBook

• 2.1 GHz Intel® Core™ i3-2310M Processor
    • 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
    • 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD / 320 GB 5400 RPM HDD (user choice; same price)
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® 410M with 256MB VRAM shared with main memory
    • Ports: 2 USB 2.0, FireWire 800, SD Card Slot, Kensington Lock, Audio In/Out, Ethernet Port, SuperDrive
    • Same form factor and battery life as the old MacBook

I think they should offer something like this for $849.00. This would offer a good processor and integrated GPU to consumers who are interested in a notebook that can perform tasks such as read all physical media or connect to a network physically, as everything seems to be going wireless now-a-days, but that certainly doesn't appeal to everyone. It also tends to preferences of the consumer with options such as a black or white unibody, as well as a choice between speed vs storage in the HDD.

I think this would make a great consumer notebook that offers Apple's operating system to those that want to give it a try in a laptop model that offers great battery life and build quality, as well as partial user customization, along with many options offered by the physical media ports.

If only they could use the Nvidia GPU....but I guess the HD 3000 would do.

I think they would sell a TON of something like this.

6. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you're right. I would love a Macbook like that! The only problem, though, is that if the RAM is 4GB and the GPU is better than the HD 3000 (Which I bet it is), what would be the point of paying 300$ more for a Macbook Pro? I think, the Macbook always have to be a class under the MBP, else nobody think it's worth buying the Pro instead. In fact, the Pro is supposed to be Pro.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i actually thought about that myself after i posted, maybe either a 2gb entry now or i was thinking something like if the do in fact get rid of the optical drive in the macbook pro, then they may have enough room for stuff like battery or maybe even a ded gpu in the 13'', so that would be something that would put that well ahead of choosing the mb with an integrated chip.

at this time now though, i suppose a 2gb starting model would make more sense. the nvidia was just a preference of mine, it would surely have the HD 3000, at least right now.

in any case I think that they should bring it back if and when they remove the optical drive in the mbp, and make it a consumer notebook that has a lot of options. <--- pretty much what I was getting at

8. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

I guess your model would be more realistic next year. But for now, I think mine sticks more to Apple's politic. I just wish they had dedicated GPUs in their low-end laptops.

9. njean777 macrumors 6502

TBH the Air is not a replacement for the average consumer. 999$ for 2gb Ram, and only 64gb HD space. The macbook was a great machine. I think apple may bring it back if they see that there margins are affected.

10. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

I totally agree. And honestly, I think they will realise that discontinuing the Macbook was a dumb decision.

11. DJinTX macrumors 6502

I think the white MacBook stuck out like a sore thumb. It's plastic and a severely aging design. Apple did the right thing by getting rid of it.

I am not opposed to Apple at some point coming out with a revamped MacBook, but it can't be plastic and it needs to fit with their design aesthetic. They had it right when they launched the aluminum unibody MacBooks in 2008. I still have this model of MacBook as my primary Mac and I absolutely love it. It's the best computer I have ever owned. I wouldn't go back to a plastic laptop if you paid me. Why Apple ever brought the plastic back I'll never understand.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's been explained before. Aluminum is not practical as it is simply not durable and can't stand up to being dropped or knocked around. I once even dropped my black MacBook from five feet up onto a hardwood floor and it was perfectly fine. Try that with yours. BTW- the last MB design was newer than the aluminums. It was great- fantastic unibody design.

13. Hexero thread starter macrumors regular

Wasn't the Macbook made of polycarbonate and not plastic?

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Polycarbonate is still plastic.

15. DJinTX macrumors 6502

Fortunately, I make it a point to not drop my laptops. I have had a white iBook, Aluminum PowerBook G4, and now my aluminum MacBook. I never dropped any of them. I guess I am just very careful that way. I have also had 2 iPhones, and even though they are smaller and much more prone to droppage, I have also never dropped either one of those. So I consider myself lucky. The only laptop I would assume is rugged enough to withstand a fall is the Panasonic Toughbook, or something similar.

Would my MacBook survive a fall? I have no idea and I'm not going to find out. Even if I knew it would survive, I still wouldn't be okay with dropping it as it would likely scratch the surfaces, and I like to keep my computers in pristine condition. If it were a junky Dell or Compaq laptop, I may not care as much, but with my Apple gear, I treat it very well.

As for the toughness of plastic/polycarbonate, my mom dropped her iBook (white polycarbonate) and it did crack the casing in two spots. She also sat it too close to a candle on her desk and it melted the top casing a bit. It wasn't touching the flame, but it was close enough to the heat. Of course this would not have happened to Aluminum. Also, a good friend of mine with a white MacBook (non-unibody) dropped it and completely ruined his hinge.

My point? Both materials are good at some things, and also have their downsides. Nothing is perfect, but I wouldn't want to drop either one. Given the choice I pick aluminum any day of the week. Likewise, it looks significantly better, feels significantly stronger, and matches Apple's aesthetics.

By the way I am not trying to convince you or anyone to agree with me. You are welcome to retain your opinions. I'm just explaining how I and others see this issue.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

They were clear in the earnings call that with the new Air, they had seen diminishing demand for the white MB so they cancelled it. Otherwise, why would they cut off a HUGE source of income?
    Also, I believe next year's MBP will have a similar look to the Airs and will most likely do away with Optical Drives (except for maybe a few). Thus the MB didn't really fit in that plan without a major redesign.

PS. Personally I prefer the aluminum to the plastic. It just feels more sturdy, and doesn't show wear as bad as the white MB. I purchased a used Black MB and had it for ab a month, but every time i touched it there were fingerprints and smudges.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Fingerprints and smudges wipe away easily. Dents and scratches don't.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

My point was that if fingerprints and smudges show up so easily, the scratches look even worse. IMO worse than a scratch on my Aluminum MB. Just an opinion...

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No scratches on by black MB at all. It has survived ten rather nasty falls and is fine. I know what an aluminum MB/MBP looks like after just a fall from a short distance. It ain't pretty.

20. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

My 5 year old black mackbook is scratch free as well. I was pretty close to buying a new mackbook, but since they stopped making them, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Aluminium is too scratch and dent prone for my liking, espectally for something so expensive. I'm a picky SOB :)

21. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

The base 13" MBP is $200 more than the MacBook was. If you can afford to spend $999 on a MacBook, how does that make $1199 for a MBP "quite expensive"?

22. altecXP macrumors 65816

You mean besides the fact you can get a 13in PC laptop with i5 and dedicated GPU and 10hrs rated battery life for under $900?

23. MBABuyer macrumors regular

HELLO PEOPLE!!!!!!

THE REASON APPLE GOT RID OF THE MACBOOK IS BECAUSE THE BASE 11" MBA IS $999, THE SAME PRICE AS A MACBOOK.

THEY FIGURED, PROBABLY CORRECTLY, THAT PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO BUY A $999 NOTEBOOK WOULD RATHER HAVE A NICE, LIGHT, THIN, AND PERFECTLY USABLE LAPTOP, INSTEAD OF A PIECE OF THICK, WHITE PLASTIC!!

And if you dare try to argue about crap such as "but the macbook had more ports :( " ....you don't even know what the macbook was for in the first place. It is for the average consumer, and guess what, the average consumer does not want ethernet or firewire! All the average consumer wants is the MBA with the 2 USB ports, a thunderbolt port, and an SD card reader (for 13" version)

So, get over yourselves. It was a smart decision by apple, and now all apple products will have a more nice looking metallic form.

That is all I have to say, Thank you :apple:

24. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I guess it comes down to preference. My first Mac was the Aluminum Macbook so that's what I got used to. When going back to the pre-unibody MacBooks they always felt squeaky and less sturdy to me. And there's really no arguing that aspect, because the unibody design plus the aluminum make the newer MacBooks sturdier overall.

25. DJinTX macrumors 6502

This is not a Mac vs. PC thread so your comment is irrelevant. If you argue that a MacBook Pro is overpriced compared to PC competition, then the same argument can be made about the white plastic MacBook. There is always going to be a cheaper PC out there somewhere. But it doesn't sound like you have opted for that in the past. And why not? Because you likely understand the true value of Macs is not determined based on price alone. If price is your only concern and you want a sub $900 laptop then go get a Dell or a Compaq.

It really comes down to a simple choice. Either you want a Mac or you don't, but Apple isn't going to change their product lineup and remain in the past at the request of less than 1% of their customers who still want yesterday's obsolete designs. Apple makes amazingly designed and innovative hardware and software. They embrace the future like no other company, and yes, you do pay a bit more for this, but as expected, designers and engineers who lead the industry are compensated for their talents. Personally I feel that spending an extra $200 to go from old white plastic to thin machined aluminum is completely worth it, and I would likely pay twice that.

If you are not interested in this, then you have many other options. Good luck to you.