Why Apple wants to produce thinner and thinner laptops?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Apr 5, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I cannot understand this. As we all know, if we want long battery life, we need a larger battery. If we want a laptop with GPU and more powerful CPU, we need a thicker computer. So, if Apple has changed direction to make thinner and thinner products for consumers, pro users may need to keep waiting.

2. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Same as the iPhone and iPad- Apple wants to be the leader in amazing design. Thinner is a big part of that. All about the wow factor.

3. GioFerrara Suspended

Same reason cars have become more powerful, it's advancement. Modern tech allows for a smaller product while also making it more powerful. Staying the same size or getting bigger would be going backwards.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd think that with a portable device such as an iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro, reducing the size to make it more portable would be important.

5. PTLove macrumors 6502

There is value in thinner devices. Easier to carry and store in bags, easier to fit in tight constraints like Airplane trays, easier to handle on your lap, etc.

There is also value in battery life and all-out-performance though. I personally wish Apple revamped there lineup to make the Macbook Air = rMB, Macbook = current Pros, Macbook Pros = Larger, thicker, heavier, and more powerful.

But I know thats a pipe dream.

6. treekram macrumors 6502a

While I would prefer reliability and lower total cost-of-ownership over thinness, that's not how manufacturers perceive the marketplace. HP just introduced a new Spectre 13.3 laptop and it was clearly designed to out-Apple Apple. HP is making a BIG deal about how thin it is while still using i5 and dual-core i7 processors (vs. CoreM, which typically are under 2Ghz). If the computer companies didn't think that customers placed a high value on how thin a laptop is, they wouldn't be placing such an emphasis on it in their products and their advertising.

7. Razeus, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

Razeus macrumors 601

Apple doesn't care about laptops anymore. rMBP is seriously outdated with a gimp GPU and a Haswell CPU from 2013. And they have nerve of still asking $2500 for it.

Don't get me started on their outright neglect of Mac Mini, Mac Pro and Macbook Air. They basically gimed the 4k iMac because you can't even choose a dedicated GPU, which would be helping trying to push 4k worth of pixels. But I guess that's what happens when Mac only makes 1/10th your revenue huh?

I suspect that most people don't even know how far behind Apple laptop tech is and buy on the Apple name, thus enhancing profits and margins due to the lower cost of using old hardware. Well played Apple. Well played.

Yet they find time to launch 3 different versions of the iPad within a year.

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Apple want`s to appeal ever more to the mass consumer market, not niche sectors that have specific computing needs. This directly results in ever thinner & lighter devices, for some this directly results in compromised hardware. From Apple`s perspective devices like the iPad are simpler to design, produce and market combined with greater margins. Apple are clearly applying the same logic to the Mac; pre-engineered in-house only upgrades, with evermore elevated margins and simplified design.

The answer is becoming fairly binary, the modern Mac either works for you, or it does not. Apple will continue to head towards the mid ground, albeit very well executed. Apple is now about selling an image which they execute impeccably, the only real question is do you buy into it...

Q-6

9. Razeus macrumors 601

I tried to deny it but over time I realize now Apple has given "pro" users the finger. Aperture was great. The old Final Cut Pro was great. iWork was great. But now all the desktop apps are iPhone apps which is absurd since all that hardware power in a laptop can do more great things, faster. I'm still thinking Apple is prepping for a OS X world that uses some Ax chip.

The magic died with Steve. I mean, these guys launched the iPhone SE with a 4 year old design for christ's sake.

10. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

To be fair, the SE was launched in response to complaints about the 6s/6s+ sizes being too big. People wanted a new iPhone that still had the "traditional" 5/5s sizes.

11. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Last time I checked, the MBP has had the same thickness for the last 4 years.

12. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Because its something thats easy to market and even the least tech-knowledgable person can pick up on.

13. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

At the beginning of the company history, Apple was a computer company. These days, they seem to care more about the general consumers. For example, they have new iPad, iPhone all the time but no major change in the laptop department. Sure, non-pro users may prefer thinnest possible devices. Thinner may mean easier to break. Thinner iPhone may also mean no big lens.

It also seems that even they could use better parts, they make things less perfect and then bring in updates a year later. For example, the iPad 12.9" PRO's camera could have higher resolution. They did not put a better camera in it until the smaller PRO came out.

14. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Engineering prowess and design / emotional impact to attract customers.