Why Apple Web Store came on 10 minutes late?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Peepo, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Conspiracy Theory here...

The Apple Store app on IOS devices worked perfect at 12:01am. Meanwhile the Apple Web Store was still offline.

Could this be so that iPhone users had an advantage instead of scalpers who would most likely have multiple people on multiple PCs in attempt to order more?

2. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

I would love to know why this is always the case, last year i had the same problem.

The app was ready right away and the website for me at around 3:09

3. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I don't know how the scalpers operate, but I suppose that's a possibility. Still though, it was really unfair to those who were legitimately buying one for themselves (but I know scalping is still a legitimate purchase as well).

By 12:10, a good chunk of the models were already pushed to the 4-6 week estimate. Those on the web who wanted a model on the 24th didn't really stand a chance.

I think the delay was deliberate, but I don't know what the exact reason was for.

4. iMacoo7 macrumors 6502

iMacoo7

I was on 3 iOS devices and none were showing the store live until 3 minutes past the hour.. I had 5 machines on auto refresh , which did not show the store live until 16 minutes past the hour...
    I honestly think they did it on purpose...

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

No conspiracy theories. The likely explanation is that the iOS app talks directly to the backend database servers and is easier/faster to restart. Restarting all the web servers obviously takes more time.

I've used the iOS app for my last several launch day purchases and have always been in and out with an order before the website comes back.

6. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Because Apple just wanted to **** those of us that used a gift card.

7. SteveLV702 macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

didn't came online fine on my computer you probably just needed to delete your browsers cache.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They did the same with the iPhone 6 last year. The Apple Store app was up and running (albeit late) before the web store.

9. jaykk macrumors 6502a

I think it is technical - they didn't want to open the flood gates all at once (see walmart black friday store opening). They want to release one or two channels at a time, and monitor the progress.

10. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

god forbid, Apple don't want to get overwhelmed, I mean, they only had 176 billion in the bank, money that can be used to actually have a smooth launch for once

11. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Actually it was 12:02 :D

12. blatch macrumors member

blatch

The Store App integrates with the ordering backend directly. The website has, well, a website in front of that has to serve dynamic pages to people. Takes longer to spool up A+B than just A.

13. melburstein macrumors regular

melburstein

I was ready before midnight with an iPhone, iPad and rMBP. The iPhone was the first device to show the Apple Store back online but not at 12.01am, it was a few anxious minutes later and I quickly ordered my wife's SS watch with a black band. Then having noticed that the iPad had come to life, I ordered a SS 42mm with the mesh band for me.

Neither order allowed me to ship to store.

14. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

The app and express checkout did the trick thank you Mac Rumors!

15. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

This. Millions of people trying to load A+B will be slower and come up later than just loading A. To the point where it seems one comes up later than the other.

16. technosix macrumors 6502a

Apple is pushing everyone to use iOS store app, OS X app, Apple .com in that order.

Relative to the entire product line Apple grosses the most via everything iOS.

17. 13hartc macrumors newbie

iPhone Required

Just a thought. Maybe they should have only allowed people to order from iPhone. You must have an iPhone to use all (but the time) features of the watch. I would have been down for that as long as it was said. Then on Monday, open it up to all devices. I find the mobile devices tend to connect sooner, but it is harder to get cash back from credit cards that have shopping rewards.

18. bulbousnub macrumors 6502

Hey, yeah! Maybe then the app would have allowed gift cards too!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I was online with the app at 8:01 and got my email confirmation at 8:01 also.
    Had to sign in and put my CVV code in also.
    My hands were like a blur :D

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Slightly off topic but I am wondering if this new online ordering strategy is going to be the only option for the 6s when it's released later this year.

21. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I got in using Google Chrome with the Auto-Refresh set to 5 seconds on my Mac Pro. Of course it helps having a faster internet speed. I opened straight into the favorites section (had it bookmarked) logged in, added my Watch to the cart and was done. After I got the first page loaded I never had a problem with loading and got my confirmation email by 12:02AM PDT.