why apple WHYYY no support for more codecs!!

hreyhrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
For god sakes what is the point in allowing such a small amount of codecs to be viewed on the ipad??

I see no god damn reason why they just limit it it just drives me insane and makes me want to return teh damn thing

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
So return it. Why did you buy the stupid thing if it doesn't do what you want it to do?

GoodToGo

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
For god sakes what is the point in allowing such a small amount of codecs to be viewed on the ipad??

I see no god damn reason why they just limit it it just drives me insane and makes me want to return teh damn thing
There is a reason, they want you to buy stuff from iTunes ;)

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
U mad, bro? :rolleyes:

Gplayer is a decent app that can play other formats, including AVI and MKV. It's kind of like VLC for IOS and is only $2.99.

You can also convert media to be played on your iPad.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I see no god damn reason
Was that really necessary? It's not our fault that you didn't make an informed purchase. For five years now iOS has supported a small set of codecs, it's not like it is something new. Next time do a little research.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
Funny thread. MP4 with H.264 decoding is battery efficient on the iDevices, that's why it's the main supported format. If you're really that miffed, then download an app to play the format you want but you'll take a hit to battery life.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Funny thread. MP4 with H.264 decoding is battery efficient on the iDevices, that's why it's the main supported format. If you're really that miffed, then download an app to play the format you want but you'll take a hit to battery life.
You beat me to it!

GoodToGo

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
U mad, bro? :rolleyes:

Gplayer is a decent app that can play other formats, including AVI and MKV. It's kind of like VLC for IOS and is only $2.99.

You can also convert media to be played on your iPad.
For the record, AVplayerHD is much better. Gplayer sucks.with mkv's.