Why Apple will Not be releasing new iPods September

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Megagator, Aug 12, 2011.

?

When will the iPods be refreshed?

1. September-As status quo

47 vote(s)
    67.1%
  2. October

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. November

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. December

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Never-I hate iPods

8 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Megagator macrumors regular

Megagator

With the iPhone not releasing in June/July, the average rumor now says the next iPhone comes in September. Exactly when the iPods have typically been refreshed. So here's a few reasons why we definitely won't see an iPod upgrade 'till late October, early November.

1. Releasing two major products (iPhone,iPod) at the same time would be cataclysmic. See iPad 2 launch.
    2. Since the last iPod refresh I only remember seeing two solid "leaks". iPod nano casing with the camera hole, and white iPod touch bezel (although these could very well be from the last generation's prototypes). Other than that, nothing else. No cases, digitizers, or rumors in general. The iPhone and (highly unlikely:D) iPad updates may just be stealing all the limelight.
    3. In general business protocol, releasing a popular product closer to Christmas than not generally yields higher sales, of which the iPod lineup certainly has been lacking lately.
    4. Lastly (and probably the most conclusive evidence), alongside every iPod release Apple updates iTunes to the next big number (9.x-10, 10.x-11...). However alongside every iOS 5 beta comes an iTunes beta labeled 10.5, not 11.0. Of course no one has said Apple will release iOS and iCloud with iPhone 5, but that would follow most iOS product launches.

2. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Am I missing something here? I only recall them releasing the iPad two on its own and it wasn't announced or released in tandem with another product, except for, of course, it's respective accessories.

3. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Perhaps Apple wants to launch the iTouch first to boost its sales before people go iPhone crazy in October. This would explain why the "iPhone" covers are slimmer, because it's not actually the iPhone, but the iTouch.

4. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

it would be cool if those cases are from the new iPod touch but it has mute button and i don't know if an ipod touch will ever have one

5. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

iPod touch definitely aren't low sales. But it is possible that they won't release in September.

6. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

ACK! ...had to stop reading right there. The descriptive--cataclysmic--is just wild-eyed insanity. The iPods, while once quite a prestigious product, are now not nearly as keen since sales are sinking compared to sales of other iProds.

iPhone and iPods have always been quite well linked in terms of function and design. Why not lump them into one development and one release cycle? When a product is younger, newer, more prestigious with press and consumers, it is better to let it stand alone. Note how the Macs are all sort of chugged out whenever without huge fanfare, while iPad has a dedicated event. That's just good press-advertising for a product that needs space instead of being one-of-several things released.

iPhone (4 years on) is now an accepted product which has a dedicated market and consumer base owning or wanting them. iPods have been settled since half a decade back. Those two can "suffer" being combined on release.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

None of your reasons seem terribly convincing if Apple has developed a new model. The only reason they might sit on it is to time it for the release of OS5, but I think they would probably still announce it (assuming they announce the new iPhone). I guess we will see :)

8. Megagator thread starter macrumors regular

Megagator

Yes, however there were severe production restraints resulting in Apple selling "every iPad we made" almost 6 months later.

9. Waj93 macrumors newbie

I'd agree with you to some extent that perhaps due to major releases like Iphone and Ipad in september, we won't see an all new Ipod coming out anywhere soon. But on the contrary, maybe Apple is going to unleash all of their three devices altogether. This is going to set the market on fire. But can't be sure until an official statement by Apple. [​IMG]

10. Nicolas4ever, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011

Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

11. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Wanting a month of your life to end because you're waiting for some silly gadget is pretty asinine. I had to say it.

Of course you're exaggerating (we hope).

12. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

yeah ofcoure and im kidding.But i want apple to release new products.I have been bored with the rumors every day

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Every Sept.9 they have released one. So why not in 2011. There is no free iPod with Mac deal. Probably cause sells are up. So we won't have to wait for the current School deal to expire on Sept 20.

My guess is Sept 9. new iPods with a change in capacity 16GB 32GB and 64GB. The 8GB sucks because you can't put a lot of games/music on it. So like the other releases, again they will drop the 8GB.

14. BiggAW macrumors 68020

The iPhone is late, but I think they will want it out before Christmas, so either at the same time, or in late October/ early November to pre-empt the Christmas season.

15. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

I really think they are making the iPods more phone-ish.

16. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Well the closer the hardware is to the iPhone the better right? Better app support with camera and whatnot.

17. mattg3 macrumors 6502

A chance to make more money and show off new operating system.Of course they are going to release a new ipod 5g but maybe closer to holidays.

18. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

I was thinking for a while now about all the rumors that apple will stop the iPod touches and blah blah ! I think it's not possible now.Many kids just don't need or don't want to have 10$ text plan for example. I'm sure apple want to put the smile to everyone.oh I'm just tired. Let's see what apple will bring Ina few days with their media event

19. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

IMO, Apple needs to refresh their line of iPod's, even if there is minimal changes. The nano and touch need a slightly lower price, the shuffle will most likely get refreshed colors and a 4GB capacity single model, and the classic will probably get killed with a 50/50 chance.

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

My prediction for Fall 2011:
    - iPod Classic : discontinued.
    - iPod Nano : discontinued.
    - iPod Shuffle : capacity bump.
    - iPod Touch : no new model.

21. WLS, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

WLS macrumors 65816

Lead story this morning re-enforces the low cost iPhone rumor.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/23...4-end-of-september-launch-alongside-iphone-5/

It's starting to get a bit troubling that there are no new leaks or rumors about the Touch.
    I said it before if Apple makes a low cost no contract iPhone then it will take a big part of the Touch market who buy the Touch because of it's lower cost and no contract aspect.
    If there is no update for the Touch this year that would indicate Apple either is planning a new device to replace it or is dropping it completely.
    My opinion is that Apple should make the Touch into a larger (but not too large), say about 5 inches game machine\book reader device.

22. Nicolas4ever, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

ohh thanks for posting that for us the iPod lovers

----------

but apple is doing that every year.the 3GS when it was new the models were 16/32GB and now is the low-end of 8GB .apple will do the same

23. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Apple is doing that EVERY year? Haven't they only done this for one year (last year)?

24. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

yeah,right but they did it

25. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

For one product. The different products are manufactured differently, so even though they couldn't keep up with the iPads, they still can with all the different iPods, and all the different versions of the Mac line.