Why Apple will NOT drop the Optical Drive in the new MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ElfinHilon, Jun 3, 2012.

1. ElfinHilon, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

ElfinHilon macrumors newbie

Bootcamp.

Debate me.

Bootable flash drive? Yeah good luck with that for windows.

EDIT: I don't think I stated my position very clearly. I do think they will keep the OD, but I would LOVE for them to remove it and replace it with putting in another fan and having a base SSD in there. With 2 fans (I'm speaking 13" here) they could get away with a discrete GPU. That would be AMAZING.

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

They're dropping it. If people want to use Boot Camp they'll get an external drive. Apple isn't removing the ability to burn/read discs at the OS level. Third-party accessories are still available.

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

4. ElfinHilon thread starter macrumors newbie

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

It won't bother me either way, but all the signs are pointing to a drop.

6. Macman45, Jun 3, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm calling the opposite...The drive is redundant now...Time will tell who's right, but it just makes no sense to lug an optical around in addition to an HDD

My MBP 17" is a great machine but it weighs a tonne...Drop the HDD, Optical drives and add a high capacity SSD. Retain the 17" screen, and you wind up with a machine that is considerably lighter, and if you want and optical, just use an external.

Watch this space to see who's right...:D

7. ElfinHilon thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed we shall. I really don't know at this point. Both sides have really good points, but I really do think they will keep it.

8. children macrumors regular

Pretty weak ass argument right there..

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

They don't exactly like people using bootcamp. Sure they have the ability, but in all fairness, they rather have you completely move over to OS X.

Having the ability doesn't mean they have to support it completely.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

With cheap external optical drives available, it seems like a no brainer to me. As an example, when I bought my MBA I bought the external drive. I have used it exactly once...To install Office for Mac. Since then it sits unused on my desk.

Since most folks have access to a decent BB connection ( I know, there are areas where connection speeds are poor) they can download software from the web.

For those who still need a drive, just take a look at Amazon etc. Cheap, affordable and portable Blu-Ray, etc. All there if required. Only Apple know which way the wind is blowing on this one, I watch with interest because my main fear is that they will drop the 17" My Pro is only 9 months old, so not looking to update this year, but if the 17" goes, I will be looking for a (God forbid) Windows 17" laptop...I have to have the real-estate...Can't see a 15" cutting it with what I use my Pro for.

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

12. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Can you direct us to a link where it shows how to install Windows 7 from an EXTERNAL DVD via USB on an internal hard drive's secondary partition?

If you can do that, I'll agree with everything you said. Until then.... well, you'll soon find out what I mean.

13. ALAN523 macrumors newbie

14. fat jez, Jun 3, 2012

fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

On balance, I think we're waving good bye to optical drives on the MacBook Pros. There's no optical drive on either the MBA or Mac Mini (as has been pointed out already). Lion was not available on optical media and we have the app store to obtain apps digitally and iTunes for movies and music.

Do I think this is a good idea? Potentially, but not yet. Too many people out there still have poor internet connections to depend solely on this means of distribution and I don't think distributing apps on USB flash drives is viable either. CDs/DVDs are cheap to master, USB flash driver are getting cheaper, but we're not talking a few pence yet.

15. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

IF they intend to remove the drive from the machines do you not think they are able to roll out an update for bootcamp which could change this?...

16. rpmor macrumors member

there is a third option no one is discussing here...

DVD might be getting phased out (at some levels); PC-Mac games will need an optical drive but an external super drive can take care of that...

but the third option could be a blu-ray reader (or writer) as well. iTunes and AppStore dont mean optical media is not necessary. Steam and a ton of other distribution channels are available but you dont see them dropping retail-hard copy distribution channels; while it sounds easy and convenient we're not there yet at least not the world and with monthly data caps you really dont want it to be your only source of media yet.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, and if you do, just ignore it...This is a constructive debate, the whole down-voting thing just bores me now.

18. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

How many of these topics do there need to be?

19. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

I think the odd market is too large to drop the odd in the macbook. As a mobile workstation/media notebook I'd love to have burning cd's, ripping music, watching movies, and installing applications and games as a kept standard. I think more people would benefit from having an odd instead of an ssd. Imo ssd is just a luxury. Why would you put two things inside a macbook that do exactly the same thing? Waste of space.

20. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

• Mac OS wireless drive sharing already works with both PC+Mac - Remote Disc
    • External Superdrive
    • Plenty of other external optical drives available already

Jeez, why are still people debating OD when the replacements are already here.

21. rpmor macrumors member

portability and all-in-one without a dangling device is the big reason why people still debate about it. a super drive isnt convenient at all times compared to a buit in one....

i rather see a blu-ray writer or reader than see the odd being completely dropped

22. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm sure they will drop it, you just wait :D
    Unless Apple is going keep the current design.

Actually they might keep the current design and remove the optical drive like the Mac mini, but I'd love to see a redesign though :)

23. iAppleseed macrumors regular

24. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've managed to install windows on bootcamp without an ODD and it was quite easy. This was on the 2011 mini.

25. arctic, Jun 3, 2012

arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Here's my speculation, giving the 13" Pro fact: "Apple sold roughly 3.1 million notebooks, with nearly half of them being the 13-inch MacBook Pro, far and away the company's best-selling Mac product". With that in mind, I'm having this gut-feeling that Apple will not do anything to jeopardize this market and will keep this formula for the entry level 13". I'm talking retaining the optical, the form factor, the same sockets, the same HD with 500GB (or higher) with just significant improvements to having Ivy dual and stepping up the resolution slightly to 1440 x 900.

With those specs, if Apple can pull down this model's price to maintain its target market, it will continue with its current success. I'm hoping from the current $1,199 to $999.

Then, I hope Apple will surprise us by giving a proper Pro treatment with it's 13" high-end model. I'm hoping pound for pound improvements like quad core, SSD stock, dropping the optical, adding another fan to accommodate a discrete GPU, near-retina resolution etc. This sounds too good to be true but a guy can dream:D. Now the downside for us macrumors tweeters is saying goodbye to Optibay. But nevertheless, I'm tired of calling it a Pro when it's getting the ugly side of the stick. If it's a Pro, :apple: give us a Pro. We'll soon find out.