Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2013
There is an option to display comtact photos (or I prefer to call it avatars) in the 'Favourite' tab of Phone.

But no option to display them in:
> Contacts (When scrolling down my contact list and there are identical names, I'd want to straight away know which person is which with the help of a small photo)
> Messages (the person you text to)
> Each single conversation, besides the bubble conversation I'd want a small photo displaying the person I'm texting to.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
There is an option to display comtact photos (or I prefer to call it avatars) in the 'Favourite' tab of Phone.

> Contacts (When scrolling down my contact list and there are identical names, I'd want to straight away know which person is which with the help of a small photo)
> Each single conversation, besides the bubble conversation I'd want a small photo displaying the person I'm texting to.

Stock Android does that :D

Aucun Express

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
I agree with you, OP, that it would be very nice to see all the contacts with a picture. But of course, the reason we get the pictures only in the Favorites menu is because most of us don't have pictures for all our contacts.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2013
I agree with you, OP, that it would be very nice to see all the contacts with a picture. But of course, the reason we get the pictures only in the Favorites menu is because most of us don't have pictures for all our contacts.

Adding the feature doesn't hurt.

You can toggle it on or off. Like you do for the Favourite tab in Phone

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Jailbreaking does the job too.

But it just grinds my gears that Apple does something half-way. :mad:

You mean it grinds your gears that Apple doesn't do things the way you want them.

The majority of the world isn't really going to care about these things enough to believe them required. Eventually Apple might get around to them but they have bugs etc to deal with first

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

I would imagine that displaying a contact picture next to each contact would take up more real-estate on the screen and display less contacts per screen. I think it would be best if it was an option.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
Adding group management from the iphone would be a more important that some cosmetic change. And the old way of navigating the groups was still far easier, the new way just is more awkward.

I can visualise what the person looks like without the need of a reminder.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Do you not know people by their name? Personally I don't see a need for it at all. You would either get a teeny tiny photo to the left of the name or have to rescale the size of each of the listing to make the photo even worth while. Personally I rather see more contacts on my screen at once, rather than a photo (I already know what they look like afterall).

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
Do you not know people by their name? Personally I don't see a need for it at all. You would either get a teeny tiny photo to the left of the name or have to rescale the size of each of the listing to make the photo even worth while. Personally I rather see more contacts on my screen at once, rather than a photo (I already know what they look like afterall).

I have multiple "John"s in my phone. To state the obvious, Pictures are much faster to visualize than words are.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A simple option that's basically the same as one Apple already provided for favorites would do just fine and not even require much on anyone's part to become available--turn it on if you want it or leave it off if you don't. Simple.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
Depends on how many contacts, I agree if you have a few but with my work exchange server I have a lot of work contacts so it would be bad, and most have no image anyway.

So I actually like the way it looks and works now, photos take up too much space.

But I'm all for options and choice.

beegie

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
USA
It would still be alphabetical, but have small pictures to the left.

That is exactly right! That's how it works, a small avatar-size photo on the left in the same "cell" of the person's name. It adds no extra scrolling than what you're already doing. The photos are not huge hogs, for pete sake.

There was a contacts app in app store that did exactly that, let you add small pic on left for each person's name. It looked fantastic! And that was 2009! Yet, you guys say, apple is "too busy" fixing all their incessant blunders. Oh brother, like it would be so hard to do when somebody else already figured it out. Just have apple buy that app & incorprate it, or whatever. Isn't that their normal M.O.? Copycat apps? They're four years late on this one.

Oh, & if you don't have facial pics of your contacts, big deal. Get creative! Originally I used cartoon characters' pics found on the net for those I had no pics for, granny pics, grandpa pics, baby pics, scenic pics/mtns for whoever lived in mtns., seaside pics for beach dwellers, sunset pics for West coast, sunrise pics for East coast, corporate logo pics for businesses, icons for professionals (gavel for lawyers, briefcase for businessmen, teeth pics for dentist), State-photos for whoever lives in CA, GA, NH, etc etc.

Ever hear of Google Images? The sky's the limit if you have one iota of Imagination. Besides it being fun to do, it's then greater fun to open contacts every time & have another big smile at all the funny or beautiful scenic pics you chose. So who needs the actual person's photo? Use caricatures instead.

Oh, that's right. No fun allowed on iphone. Don't waste the time. Go back to "Consuming, Consuming, Consuming" vs "Creating & Producing." =-0

I'm repeatedly dumbfounded by the small-NARROW-minded replies from apple fans. Good grief! >> End of Rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.