Why, Apple?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by NickPhamUK, Oct 15, 2013.

1. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

There is an option to display comtact photos (or I prefer to call it avatars) in the 'Favourite' tab of Phone.

But no option to display them in:
    > Contacts (When scrolling down my contact list and there are identical names, I'd want to straight away know which person is which with the help of a small photo)
    > Messages (the person you text to)
    > Each single conversation, besides the bubble conversation I'd want a small photo displaying the person I'm texting to.

2. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

Stock Android does that :D

3. NickPhamUK thread starter macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Jailbreaking does the job too.

But it just grinds my gears that Apple does something half-way. :mad:

4. Aucun Express macrumors regular

I agree with you, OP, that it would be very nice to see all the contacts with a picture. But of course, the reason we get the pictures only in the Favorites menu is because most of us don't have pictures for all our contacts.

5. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

I know, it would be a very nice addition and it would certainly increase the overall experience.

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Given the gigantic cover images in the Music player app in iOS7, I can live without giant contact images.

7. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Maybe you just need a better class of contacts. :p

8. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

It doesn't show pictures in contacts because it would look ugly.

9. NickPhamUK thread starter macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Adding the feature doesn't hurt.

You can toggle it on or off. Like you do for the Favourite tab in Phone

10. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Depends on your contacts ;)

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You mean it grinds your gears that Apple doesn't do things the way you want them.

The majority of the world isn't really going to care about these things enough to believe them required. Eventually Apple might get around to them but they have bugs etc to deal with first

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I would imagine that displaying a contact picture next to each contact would take up more real-estate on the screen and display less contacts per screen. I think it would be best if it was an option.

13. vexorg macrumors 6502a

Adding group management from the iphone would be a more important that some cosmetic change. And the old way of navigating the groups was still far easier, the new way just is more awkward.

I can visualise what the person looks like without the need of a reminder.

14. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Do you not know people by their name? Personally I don't see a need for it at all. You would either get a teeny tiny photo to the left of the name or have to rescale the size of each of the listing to make the photo even worth while. Personally I rather see more contacts on my screen at once, rather than a photo (I already know what they look like afterall).

15. SeenJeen macrumors regular

I have multiple "John"s in my phone. To state the obvious, Pictures are much faster to visualize than words are.

16. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

That's great, but the thread starter doesn't use an Android phone.

17. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Adding a last name pretty much fixes that for me.

18. SeenJeen macrumors regular

Pictures would be better.

The world is not you, there are millions who have dyslexia or other visual problems.

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

20. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Pictures would make it more consistent with the Music app and let the user find a contact easier.

21. vexorg macrumors 6502a

I find alphabetical works better than scrolling through pictures.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

A simple option that's basically the same as one Apple already provided for favorites would do just fine and not even require much on anyone's part to become available--turn it on if you want it or leave it off if you don't. Simple.

23. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Depends on how many contacts, I agree if you have a few but with my work exchange server I have a lot of work contacts so it would be bad, and most have no image anyway.

So I actually like the way it looks and works now, photos take up too much space.

But I'm all for options and choice.

24. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

It would still be alphabetical, but have small pictures to the left.

25. beegie macrumors regular

That is exactly right! That's how it works, a small avatar-size photo on the left in the same "cell" of the person's name. It adds no extra scrolling than what you're already doing. The photos are not huge hogs, for pete sake.

There was a contacts app in app store that did exactly that, let you add small pic on left for each person's name. It looked fantastic! And that was 2009! Yet, you guys say, apple is "too busy" fixing all their incessant blunders. Oh brother, like it would be so hard to do when somebody else already figured it out. Just have apple buy that app & incorprate it, or whatever. Isn't that their normal M.O.? Copycat apps? They're four years late on this one.

Oh, & if you don't have facial pics of your contacts, big deal. Get creative! Originally I used cartoon characters' pics found on the net for those I had no pics for, granny pics, grandpa pics, baby pics, scenic pics/mtns for whoever lived in mtns., seaside pics for beach dwellers, sunset pics for West coast, sunrise pics for East coast, corporate logo pics for businesses, icons for professionals (gavel for lawyers, briefcase for businessmen, teeth pics for dentist), State-photos for whoever lives in CA, GA, NH, etc etc.

Ever hear of Google Images? The sky's the limit if you have one iota of Imagination. Besides it being fun to do, it's then greater fun to open contacts every time & have another big smile at all the funny or beautiful scenic pics you chose. So who needs the actual person's photo? Use caricatures instead.

Oh, that's right. No fun allowed on iphone. Don't waste the time. Go back to "Consuming, Consuming, Consuming" vs "Creating & Producing." =-0

I'm repeatedly dumbfounded by the small-NARROW-minded replies from apple fans. Good grief! >> End of Rant.