Why Apple?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Baffles, May 29, 2008.

1. Baffles macrumors regular

Why did they choose the name Apple, and the Macintosh apple to name their line after?

Why not orange? They could have named their line of computers Mandarin. It would have been shortened to man, and we could be using ManBook Pros instead of MacBook Pros.

Discuss.

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

b/c steve jobs said so! j/k

but b/c he was a fruitarian at the time, and liked apples. or something like that

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Jobs worked on an apple commune as a hippie back in the day. And Jeff Raskin liked Macintosh apples.

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Because Steve is in fact The Architect! actually this is not the first anomaly called Apple, but is in fact the 7th itteration. When Steve gets his hands on The One (rumored to have attempted to break into The Source, thus revealing the truth to the 'Blue Pills'; he will beach-slap him back to Dos-land and the cycle will start again.....

Personally, I took the Red Pill and am no longer trapped in the illusion that the world is as it is; being best observed by the fact that I am now free to express my digital self without the shackles of Window$.....

(maybe its time for my medication now.....or am I the only one who sees the truth; There is no Spoon.......?)

5. remmy macrumors 6502a

Because supposedly Newton sat underneath a apple tree and is meant to of discovered gravity, instead of say, any other tree were he would of discovered not allot.

6. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Actually, you should read the book, iWoz and you would find the answer. ;)

Jobs and Woz were trying to decide on their companies name, and Jobs was visiting a commune in Oregon, and purposed the name apple and that was what was grown there.

As to Mac name, it is a type of apple.

The book really is a good read, and clears up a couple myths.

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yep, thats my favorite book!

Its also because the name if the Beetle's record label was Apple and Woz and Jobs liked the Beatles.

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

Didnt Apple (music) sue Apple (computers)

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Not sure, in the book they thought it would be ok because they were completely different industries, but it didn't mention if it actually was.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Apple computer paid a fair bit of cash to Apple music over the years, though now they own both names and licence back Apple music their name.