Why Apples "30x stronger/herder than plastic" is a bogus lie

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MassiveAttack, Jul 11, 2010.

1. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

How many iPhone 3G and 3GS devices have had shattered plastic backs when dropped? Inquiring minds would like to know.

2. barachus macrumors regular

Lol, to be fair they didn't specify what kind of plastic :D

3. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Saran wrap perhaps?

4. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

My plastic back has cracked before.
    As has a friends.

But shattered....Not so much... Major cracks? err... no.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

there is probably like some stupid clause* that says its is 30x as strong if its scratched not dropped. well as long as they will fix it and it is easy to replace im fine (until mine breaks).

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The OP never misses a chance to bash the iPhone's glass (or any other aspect of the iPhone). Now the OP even started his/her on bash the iPhone glass thread. :eek: Why he/she stays here is beyond belief.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

wow you've created 3 threads on the same topic, one of which is aptly named "Can "30 times harder than plastic" be a bogus claim?" lol quotes and everything . I mean the only thing you did was change it from a question to an assertion and didn't even provide us w/ evidence for your claim.

Jolly good show.

Please. No more threads.

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Since June 23 this loser has posted 11 troll threads vilifying the iPhone 4. In 4 of them he is attacking the glass.

He certainly lives up to his name, I wonder who is paying him HTC or Sprint or Verizon?

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

He didn't even get the quote right on this thread. Their claim is that it is "30 times harder than plastic", not 30 times stronger. It is a meaningful distinction.

EDIT: I guess he got it right on his previous thread.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Mine 3GS displayed the following wear:

A horizontal stress line with scuffing and scratching from brushing against the lip of the dock.

General scratches from it just lying on a less than perfectly smooth and clean surface. That chrome apple logo was the first to get messed up. It was especially noticeable due to the curved back of the phone.

The scratches on my bezel carried over to the soft plastic edges.

I dropped my 3GS once or twice on the corner, my 4 suffered the same drop and is fine, and I ended up with deeply gouged and scuffed corners.

I had long cracks around the dock connector and speaker/microphone cutouts.

Occasionally removing my Mophie Juice Pack Air left long scuffs on the shiny plastic.

I had small scratches due to small particles of dust and dirt in my Sena holster. I have been using the same holster on my 4 since launch day and its been fine. Since the 4 is narrower I have had the holster inside my pocket so taking it in and out places far more pressure on the phone and it has zero scratching.

The plastic bottom of the 2G got scuff marks from the dock.

To sum up.....the glass is FAR better than the relatively soft plastic backs.

11. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

@ darngooddesign good way to put a spin on things but you have not offered any evidence of a shattered plastic 3G 3GS back. Glass still not up to par with plastic.

12. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I haven't received my iPhone 4 yet, but I'm concerned by all of the pictures I've seen of shattered backs. One of the demo phones at my local AT&T Store had a couple scratches on the front. I wonder what someone did to scratch it, because my two year old 3G doesn't have a mark on the front.

13. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a new Apple technology, self scratching and highly breakable glass "it's never been done before" and "we've made it better than anyone else"

14. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The 30x stronger figure comes, I'm sure, from tests done by the manufacturer. That's assumes equivalent thicknesses. The glass back is not as thick as the plastic back was. How many times does a person have to drop the phone before they put it in a case?

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Yawn....ZZZzzzzzzz.......ZZZZZzzzzzz.....
    Wake me when the trolls go back to the Android boards to complain about the Droid X :rolleyes:...LOL

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You asked for users' experience with the plastic iPhone backs and I gave you mine.

Perhaps I should simplify for you.

In my experience, plastic does not shatter like glass, and glass does not scratch, scuff and gouge like plastic.

The glass will only show you catastrophic damage while the plastic will show everyday wear and tear.

Your comprehension issue is present in the thread title. Its 30x harder, not 30x stronger.

17. nexsta macrumors 6502

Apple will learn that people don't want a fragile phone out of glass (that breaks after one drop) so it's good that people complain, I support that.

Best iPhone 5 feature unbreakable front and back!

18. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good post, Apple will never own up to it's mistake and I can gaurantee that the next iPhone will not have a glass back and external antenna.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You're absolutely correct, Apple is having a hard time selling the iPhone 4.

20. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Here's a thought: Why don't you just return the phone, go buy yourself an Evo and then leave us the frack alone.

21. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Issues were revealed after 1.7 million were sold. That doesn't mean Apple is selling a well made product. Initial sales numbers isn't a reflection on product quality.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Get a dictionary, encyclopedia or use the fokin Internet to understand what the different between those materials is.

Do your car windows have the same type of glass that your glasses have? Is all the plastic the same?

Interesring claim but very poor discussion.

The education system has failed

23. lilo777 macrumors 603

Are you questioning his/here judgement or the motifs? Are you saying that the glass phone was a good idea?

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope, but its still hard to get in most places which means that people still do want a glass, and debatably fragile phone.

Whether you think the material choices and antenna design are good does not change the fact that it is an extremely well-made phone.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Plastics don't shatter, so wrong question. But the 3G case did crack up a storm, leading many to believe the 3GS would see a design/material change. It didn't. Likewise, a number of people think the iPhone 5 will not have glass back or borders because of widespread shattering incidents. I'm predicting it'll still retain the same form factor.