Why Apple's New MacBook Color Theme Works

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Andrew K., Oct 14, 2008.

1. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

So I just saw the "Macbook is Ugly" Thread but if you think about it, Apple had to do this color theme this way. Why?

The average consumer ( Not like us Macheads on here :D ) is gonna take on look at this and see it's different than the previous model. And shiny is always a plus for most people.

If the Macbook and Pro where all Aluminum with all Aluminum chiclet Keys with a matte screen or even a glossy option, most consumers ( again not us ) who are looking for a holiday gift will see this and go WOW thats different than the old one. Plus the older models had not been refreshed, in terms of looks, in while.

I Love both the new Design ( which I think should be judged in person ) and the old style Macbook Pro. But it was the right direction for Apple to go in, in order to meet holiday numbers, match the whole line of macs ( also slightly differs from the air ) and of course piss off a certain percantage of Mac Users : D Traditional Apple Style

2. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Change for change's sake, planned obsolescence, whatever you want to call it... After a while people do expect something new.

Let's face it, on these very forums innumerable people were hoping for months (years?) for something different!

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Which is why I'm not complaining. I like my old-skool MBP with a matte screen, but whatever. What I am complaining about, though, is the lack of firewire on the midrange MB when the entry level MB has firewire.:mad:

4. Andrew K. thread starter macrumors 65816

I know that no firewire thing is pretty lame, but I never used it

5. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I'm amazed at how many people on here say they never used Firewire. In light of that I'm not surprised Apple deleted it!

I always use Firewire in preference to USB 2.0. Regardless of what the specs say on paper, Firewire 400 is appreciably faster.

And if people think pros will complain about the lack of a glossy screen, well, media professionals depend on Firewire 800... At least Apple was not crazy enough to delete this from the MacBook Pro, at least not yet, or else it really would have built the gallows from which to hang itself.

However, judging from the response on here, I guess removing Firewire from a consumer notebook may not be quite the catastrophe I thought it would be. Nevertheless, it smacks of cheapening the product to me - ironic when every single other element of the MacBook has been moved far upscale of the old one.

6. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

The black border mimics the iPhone and gives less distraction when watching movies and such.

The black keys help the backlight contrast better.

That's my take on it.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Since Intels can boot off USB, why the need firewire anymore? Besides most consumers don't use or know what firewire is. The "entry" level macbook has it because it wasn't changed and shares the previous gen MBs footprint.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing an all black version of the new MB. Something that uses the shiny black bezel on the rest of the case. The majority of people likes shiny things so that attracts new buyers. I wouldn't mind seeing all aluminum MB(P)s with anodized color line-up like the iPod Nanos.

With the aluminum tops, at least they won't crack anymore. Just think about how many Apple fixed and how much money that cost them. Their $1500 laptops turned out to only be like $1000.

8. dougnewman macrumors 6502

It's faster than USB.

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Really? I always thought my white MacBook couldn't boot off USB HD. :confused:

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No FireWire is not faster. Even the FireWire 800. You will always be bottlenecked at 400mbps no matter what you are doing unless you use a raid system at FireWire 800.

USB 2.0 is at 480mbps, however you never reach that speed. If you look at maximum speed you can reach, USB 2.0 is actually 80mbps faster, theoretically. In the real world, it's basically the same thing. So unless you use raid with a notebook (very unlikely for most people, even the prosumers) USB 2.0 and any type of FireWire currently has the same speed.

11. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Please explain further.

I was just reading a comparison between them but I have completely forgotten where. :(