Why are 30 pin to Lightning adapters so hard to find?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Mikhailov, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

Apple's website says 2-3 weeks, they're not available locally in any stores, and Amazon has knockoff brands going for $94.00. Why is this such a premium? I'm obviously looking to get one because my car dock is 30pin, and I'm done using my Tom Tom dock because it keeps falling off the windshield. I've just settled for not charging my phone in the car for the moment. I still can't believe how difficult this adapter is to find.

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I'd stay away from the knockoffs - there is a special chip in the lightning adapter from Apple that's not in the knockoffs.

We ordered two adapters and one extension from the apple online store a few weeks ago and just got them in the mail a few days ago. Not sure why there's so little available.

3. zoonyx macrumors 6502

I've bought a second lightning cable for the car, mainly due to this.

I think its pretty crappy to buy an expensive phone and if you break or lose the charge cable, its basically useless until apple catches up. I know its not so bad now lightning cables are available but before that it was just daft.

4. mcdj, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

It's a ploy to make you realize you don't need the adapters as much as you think. The longer you go without them, the easier it will be to dump your 30 pin products when licensed accessory makers flood the market with lightning compatible goods, which wiil be just before the adapters become readily available. Kaching for Apple.

They're also keeping the adapter off the market as long as possible to make sure they sign as many accessory makers into licensing the lightning technology as possible, before they can get their hands on them to replicate the functionality without entering into a license scenario.

/conspiracy theories

5. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I can guarantee you that if my charging cable took a crap I'd have a way to charge my phone overnight. I would NOT accept no for an answer. If Apple has special "reserved stock" of new phones for DOA phones, I'm sure they have an extra supply of chargers/cables/adapters or something that they can send out if yours breaks.

The availablity of the adapters is expected. Reduce supply of a high-demand item and you can charge your insane-o $30 for them.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Have you physically checked the stores? Apple Store Lincoln Road had several display pegs full of both the adapter and the cabled version on Saturday.

I wonder if that store is better stocked than most because I keep hearing people can't find things in stores and that store always has what's "hard to find" in stock.

7. zoonyx macrumors 6502

Oh don't get me wrong, I'd be down at the apple store kicking off too - just saying, I can't think of another example with either smart phones or old school features phones where you were stuck with the OEM charger and nothing else available.

8. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't felt like making a 30-40 minute drive to my closest store so I haven't gone that route yet. Waiting till my local Best Buy mobile gets them.