Why are adium file transfers to slooowww

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by daneoni, Jun 2, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

My friend just tried to send me a 4mb file over an MSN connection and it took almost an hour. Meanwhile the same file took less than two minutes on another persons windows box...same type of connection but using the actual MSN client.

I thought the file transfer thing had been fixed in version 1 of adium, so...what's up with it?

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I've heard that they have it so that if MSN has problems connecting, it uses a slower but more likely to work method, or something along those lines. (this was before v1.0, but assume it still holds true — better than no connection at all right?)

4. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i suppose but there should be a way to have your cake and eat it.

DL speed is 5mb and UL speed is an average of 480kbps

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

6. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

No...those are normal DSL speeds. Adium transfer rate is 1.5kb/s or less

7. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

No, Neon meant that those speeds you are getting in Adium are normal MSN speeds. Microsoft slows down transfer speeds and have done so for a long time. You're better off finding a different way to send files over, or just send small things like documents (which is what it was intended for).

Edit: nevermind, I read your original post and I don't know why your friend was getting faster speed. But in my experience, MSN or Adium have always had slow transfer speeds, and you would still be better off sending it differently.