Why are aliases the same size as the original files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ramparts, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

I've created aliases of some images so I can move them to different folders without duplicating the actual images, for purposes of saving hard disk space. Yet all of the aliases are the exact same size as the original images. Why is this?

I'm running Lion.

2. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

I right-clicked each file in Finder and clicked Make Alias, or (same thing) highlighted the file and did CMD-L.

3. kolax macrumors G3

How are you finding the alias file size? CMD+I on the alias?

4. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Yep.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Weird. All my aliases are small in size (hundreds of KB). Can you post a screenshot of the info window?

6. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Attached. It's the same size as the original.

Attached Files:

7. interrobang macrumors 6502

What is the format and capacity of your disk?

8. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

My understanding is that icons and preview images are stored in aliases. This could explain why an alias of a photo is so big. Could you just use an alias of the containing folder instead? That's what I do. You can also create hard or soft links at the system level (the command prompt) which have little to know size but can't be created in Finder and have some other limitations.

10. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

No, it wouldn't work, I'm trying to take a subset of photos in my Pictures folder and use them for the random desktop wallpaper, so an alias of the whole folder would be too much (and in that case I could just point the desktop preferences to that folder anyway). It's only a couple of hundred MB, I'll live.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Create a folder within Pictures called 'Wallpapers' and then create an alias of that..

12. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously I could do that but I want to keep all my photos in the same folder, not put some of them in a subfolder and the rest in the main folder. I guess I'm out of luck on this one.

13. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

This is weird... or not. I tried my 7.4 MB. JPEG file and the alias is only 1.9 MB. I tried with 537 KB. JPEG and the alias is also 1.9 MB. Seem like you just incidentally hit its sweet spot there.

14. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would suggest using symbolic links instead of aliases. The only disadvantage is that if you move the files, then the sym links don't update by themselves, like aliases do. Symbolic links take up a couple of kilo bytes.